All-Time Teams mod

BigDaddyCool

One of the reasons that I like playing Madden is the fact that they provide All-Time teams for each franchise. It's a shame that they don't do the same thing for MVPBB, so I have decided to do it for them.

Right now I am creating All-Time teams for each franchise, bringing together the best players from each franchise to play in the same lineup. Babe Ruth, Reggie and Jeter for the Yankees, Ted Williams, Yaz and Nomar for the BoSox, etc.

So far Iv'e got the Dodgers and Angels done and I am working on getting players from the Legends and Heroes on their respective teams. Just to give you an idea of how it is going, here are a few screenshots to whet your appitite:

Sandy Koufax

game-001.jpg

Big Mac

game-003.jpg

Duuuuuuuuuke

game-005.jpg

Kirk Gibson

game-007.jpg

Old Barry

game-008.jpg

Young Barry

game-009.jpg

Young Reggie

game-017.jpg

Older Reggie

game-016.jpg

Willie Mays

game-022.jpg

BigDaddyCool Iam all for this

As much as I love Total Classics, I still like BigDaddyCool ideas of putting the best player of each position of each team to make all time team. Is exactlly what I wanted since we are working on so many faces mod, this will come in handy for player face we want to add.

Great,

I use to play a "Franchise Best" league back in the High Heat days.

May I suggest a couple things???

1) Make the teams MLB level so that call-ups do not destroy them in dynasty mode.

2) Use the players career stats!!!

3) Place players on teams based on their original team or the first

team where they played at least 4-5 full seasons. (i.e. McGuire is an

A, Bonds is a Pirate, ARod is a Mariner, etc.)

4) Add all-time great manager for each team.

I hope this comes off. I miss this type of season/dynasty play.

Great idea.

Well if you want you can always think of this as "Total Classics Lite". I've downloaded Total Classics myself, and for me and possibly for others here it looks somewhat intimidating. (over 200MB guys? sheesh!) I love the idea of playing teams from the past but I think there are others out there like me who always wanted to see all the greats play together at the same time.

Right now I am creating the teams using MVPEdit. Hopefully all of the pictures I am importing through MVPEdit will carry over once I get the file up. Once I get it done I may have to use the game itself to edit some player attributes since MVPEdit doesn't allow for Classic Hitting and Pitching styles.

As for some of the ideas that danc suggested:

1) That's what I'm trying to do. I'm checking the results against the players that are already on the teams as I create them. So Far so good.

2) I'm importing their career stats from the Lahman database, but I am also giving them their stats and attributes to reflect the best year they had with their given teams. So McGwire's 1998 stats will show up on the Cards, Ruth's 1927 stats will appear, and so on.

3) Actually I'm placing players on more than one team if they had a huge impact. McGwire will be on the A's and the Cards, Raggie Jackson will be on the A's, Yankees and Angels, Carlton Fisk on the Red Sox and White Sox, Bonds on bothe the Pirates and Giants, etc.

4) That is a little tricky for me as I'm not sure how to change the managers or even how to add them to the portraits.big file. Believe me, I would love to have John McGraw managing the Giants against Tommy Lasorda's Dodgers, or Connie Mack's A's go against Sparky Anderson's Reds, but I'm just not sure how I can pull it off.

and so what if he makes a classics mod? total classics doesnt have a copyright to it. oh and by the way, great job i will definitely download this!

little child dealing with puberty, go away. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

oh and another thing, how's those st. john's fantasy future throwbacks going?

BigDaddy,

I respect and appreciate what you are doing but:

#2) "but I am also giving them their stats and attributes to reflect the best year they had with their given teams" = What??? Which stats?? Who

decides?? Bias??

#3) "I'm placing players on more than one team" = thats too bad. This kind of screws up "league leader" stats etc. especially in terms of long

term statistical comparisons. This is part of the intrege(sp) of this format

IMHO.

Hope this comes off no matter what you decide.

#2) "but I am also giving them their stats and attributes to reflect the best year they had with their given teams" = What??? Which stats?? Who

decides?? Bias??

#3) "I'm placing players on more than one team" = thats too bad. This kind of screws up "league leader" stats etc. especially in terms of long

term statistical comparisons. This is part of the intrege(sp) of this format

2) Example: McGwire's best year with the Cards has to be '98. So McGwire gets his '98 stats, and his attributes are determined by the power template that paulw made available to reflect any changes in his power/contact ratings. His best year with the A's was determined to be '96 since he had such a monster year in stats other than HR - although 52 HR's is nothing to sneeze at.

For some of the players I am creating I am also refering to Bill James' Historical Baseball Abstract, as published in 1988. For the players he has provided stats for he includes his own "Runs Created" stat which I am using as a yardstick to determine which year a certain player performed better in.

Example: Lou Brock in 1974 set the SB record orf 118 in a season. His runs created for that year according to James was 98. However, if you go by the runs created criteria then his stats from 1971 would have to be used since his runs created were 114, the highest of his career even though he "only" stole 64 bases. So how did 1971 get a higher total even though he stole all those bases? Simple, his totals for HR's and RBI's were higher in 1971 (7,61) then they were in 1974 (3,48 )

I have found that to be a common theme amoung a lot of players that I have researched. So the first thing I look for is their HR and RBI totals for one year to determine what thei best year was.

3) Well the way that I look at it is that it's a way of comparing the same player to himself in term of at what stage of his career was he a better player. eg: was Reggie Jackson a better player with the A's in the early 70's, the Yankees in the late 70's, or the Angels in the 80's?

It's also a way that I consider to compare players from different eras against one another. Could a 1950's Warren Sphan have taken on the 70's Nolan Ryan when he was with the Angels? How about the 80's Ryan Express when he was with the Astros, or the 90's Ryan with the Rangers?

If a player is important enough in the history of more than one team then I would like to see him on that team as a matter of comparison against himself. I know that a lot of people would say that I should only have one team per player no matter how well he did for other teams but I think it deprives us that comparison if we limit Reggie to the A's (144 RC in 1969) or Frank Robinson to the Reds (160 RC in 1962) and not include him on the Orioles (146 RC in 1966).

Besides if anyone disagrees with my choices they are always free to change them with MVPEdit. I plan on releasing the roster in .mbe format to allow for that, as well as including the portrait.big file that I now have and am adding onto.

BigDaddyCool I really like U take the time to see each players great season with their respective team. And putting stats in the game will make me learn about past players and some of the record they may still hold for that season.

Thank You so much for your time and effort and I hope fuzzone Old time classic can add your idea in phrase 3 so we can add more fun into this game.

BigDaddyCool,

This is a wonderful undertaking which I know will be greatly received by many including myself.

Do you have an estimate of when you will release your initial version of this project?

I also sent you a PM regarding a similar project I am involved with presently.

Thanks,

Don

I wish I had an estimate of when I would be done with this. Right now I have the Dodgers and Angels done and I am starting on the Giants. It's just that getting all the right stats in is somewhat tedious with all the data entry that has to happen.

The oinly thing that I wish for is that MVPEdit allowed you to select Classic Batting Stances and Classic Pitching Windups. Currently, it doesn't.

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

Well I went back and added even more players onto the Dodgers and will now do the same thing to the Angels. Now there a re a ton of players from the teams history in the minors, and the cream of the crop is now on the major league squad.

An example of what I mean:

2B - Jackie Robinson

LF - Zack Wheat

CF - Babe Herman

C - Roy Campanella

3B - Adrian Beltre

DH - Gil Hodges

RF - Pedro Guerrero

1B - Steve Garvey

SS - Pee Wee Reese

P - Sandy Koufax

Bench:

C - Mike Scioscia

CF - Duke Snider

LF - Tommy Davis

RF - Reggie Smith

Starters:

Burleigh Grimes

Orel Hershiser

Fernando Valenzuela

Dazzy Vance

Bullpen:

Odalis Perez

Don Newcombe

Tommy John

Ramon Martinez

Johnny Podres

Don Sutton

Eric Gagne

BigDaddyCool,

Are you at a point to project a release date of this wonderful project? Regardless of how soon or how long it would be very much appreciated to have some idea of the time frame we might expect to get our hands on this? This will be a very well received roster set I am sure!

Thanks,

Don

Oh, By the Way - I think if you check out the Legends and Heros batting stances and pitcher deliveries then you might be able to determine how to set those Classic ones you spoke of earlier. Even tho MVPEdit doesn't let you select those by name I think they are represented by particular players within the Heroes or Legends that have the same delivery or stance.

BigDaddy,

This is sounding better everytime a post is added!

I admire your determination.

BTW, You might want to check Babe Herman's fielding

stats before putting him in CF in front of the Duke :wink: !

BigDaddyCool just some suggestion U don't have to change anything.

C - Mike Scioscia is great defensive catcher but man is hard not to put Mike Piazza in the team.

Don Sutton is a HOF U may consider replacing either.

Starters:

Orel Hershiser or Fernando Valenzuela

Archived