Welcome to Baseball 101!

MarkB

The runner is stranded (no run scores) if the hitter was thrown out before he touches first base (no matter when the runner from 3rd touches home).

However, the runner DOES score if the hitter rounds first base, then is thrown out while attempting to get BACK to the bag. The run counts, as long as the runner from 3rd base crosses home plate before the hitter is thrown out at first.

The reason for this is that in the first situation, it is a simple inning-ending ground out (albeit, a rare groundout to the outfield). In the second situation, it is an RBI-single, followed by a "3rd out made on the bases."

Thanks for the detailed response. That answers my question completely.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Without looking up the rule book, I'd say the pitch would be called as normal as it crossed the zone, whether it be a ball or strike. If he ball hit the batter and he wasn't injured, I guess play would go on as normal, but if he was injured by the ball hitting him, I suppose it would just be treated as an out of play injury and the batter would be pinch-hit for.

Just a guess, really. My main reason for doubting it would be a HBP is because at the moment the ball hits the catcher, it ceases to be a pitched ball and is in play, although the other option could be that he's given first base on a fielded ball hitting a runner, as if he was going to first on a squeeze bunt and the catcher hit the batter with the ball as he was going to first while within the confines of the batter's running lane.

Archived