Describe your batting stance

kevattac

Ok I will start it off. I have an open stance with my legs fairly straight and my hands at about shoulder to ear length up-about 1 foot away from my shoulder. The distance between my legs is about 2 1/2 ft. I try to keep my weight back by not taking a long stride, and slightly lifting my foot off the ground. In MVP terms I would say I am maybe a Giambi, Open, or a Delgado (w/o the bent legs).

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to use a bit of a "bum" stance, meaning very non-chalant, almost standing there. I bent my knees a tiny bit, spread out about 3 feet, very slightly open with my back toe pointed at the second basemens vicinity. Bat was at about a 30 degree angle vertically from the plane of my shoulders and maybe a bit pointed back. Always kept it right on my shoulder unless I was having a lapse into cocking my swing, in which case I'd move the bat back until my left arm was fully extended...but only used during BP because its not too easy to get good bat head speed that way.

Good tip for not shifting your weight too early...experiment for how far you like to stride, what feels comfortable and works best for you, and then spread your stance to that distance or a bit in front of it. Good habit to get into is not stepping forward but pushing your body forward on impact, if that makes some sense.

Bighurt, whats the reason for your waggle?

I have a very wide stance, kind of like Bagwell's, but I'm not that low. I do not stride when the pitch is thrown, I just shift my weight back. I don't have any movement with the bat (wiggle), I do **** it back as I'm shifting my weight to hit.

A bit like Brett Boone's stance except the bat is parallel to the ground with no movement and my front leg is slightly lifted up, also I bat with my front foot even with home plate in the middle of the box.

Mine is like Batista, that used be an Oriole... I have to face the plate with my chest toward the pitcher, or i can't pick up the ball.

My pitching stance is like Hideo Nomo, I turn my back to the catcher and twist off my pitches.

In MVP terms, I have an Upright batting stance on the left side. I keep my bat still but pointed 45 degrees.

On the right side, I open up a little more, bend my knees slightly, still keeping my bat still, except pointed higher, about 15 degrees. I keep my front foot slightly ahead of my back foot, shifting weight minimally to maintain balance.

My pitching delivery was like Kevin Millwood's. Slow, controlled.

oh yeah Kev...huge UK fan here, where you from?

I currently live in Tacoma, Washington ( KEVin AT TAComa, the origin of my screen name), but I lived for 9 years in Lexington up until about 4 years ago. I got hooked on UK because my dad was a doc there at the university hospital and we also had season tickets to football games. I love the football team and am much more hardcore with them then the basketball team, whos success is a bonus :) .

Right - I'm a lot like Griffey only my hands are up above my ear and the bat is pointed behind me with a little "wiggle" to until the pitcher starts his wind up. left- same but with the bat below my ear and seating on my shoulder..

• 3 weeks later...

Archived