Describe your batting stance

kevattac

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mine is way up high like Counsel's, but a little lower. I've just adjusted it to come down into a normal stance earlier before the pitch is thrown, it helps me a lot. Also, before I bat, I tap the plate once, do a little practice swing twice, and get up high. If they keep me waiting in that stance for a while, I call time.

I'm a freak for routine.

Lefty hitter. I stand feet about 16 inchest apart, slight knee bend, and slightly open about half a foot. I had a bad habit when I was younger of making a pull stride ( I wouldn't stride toward the pitcher, I'd stride toward first base), which caused me to miss every pitch away. With the open stance, it made me concentrate on bringing my foot forward correctly. Most people with open stances want the ball inside, but I do it to drive the pitch away to the opposite field.

Holding the bat... I guess you can say it's pretty much like the generic stance in the game. I have very little movement in my stance, I tap my front foot a bit to stop me for tightening up, but that's pretty much it.

• 1 month later...

I recently took sessions with my school baseball coached and we tweaked my stance. I'm not sure who it's like but my front shoulder is up high enough to cover all but my eyes. and bot legs are bent. I produce way more batspeed that way and can cut straight throught the strikezone rather than up through in and uppercut fashion. More line drive base hits.

My stance is actually alot like Chuck Knoblauch. But that was after year of tinkering. As a kid, my stances resembled Ricky Henderson (Knees very bent, butt sticking out)...Gary Carter (Standing almost straight up, knees not bent at all) And Daryl Strawberry (bat kinda high, back arm very high)...But for whatever reason, as i got older (towards 18-20, i mean)...i got too tense in these stances, and gripped the bat way too tightly, and swung too stiffly.

I then decided I needed to just relax my hands on the bat...almost just rest the bat i my hands....not even grip it...And so now, much like Chucky did...the bat is almost parallel to the ground...straight back...im not in as much of a crouch as him, but its similiar.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

My batting stance used to be like Alex Rodriguez's with my left-leg in front and my right-leg bent behind. I'd crouch down and jiggle the bat a lil...but I found I hit a lot of ground balls...so I modded my stance (hahaha...) and now I stand upright with my legs pretty much together...I hold the bat at a slight angle over my shoulder...its basically the stance you have when you throw a ball up to hit it...but I think it works better...

My pitching stance...I'm left-handed...starts with me directly facing the catcher...I then bring my right-leg to my chest and my glove behind my right shoulder. I turn my hips left 45 degrees before setting my right leg with a long stride and I squat down a bit as I release/catapault the ball with a 3/4 grip... :hail:

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Cool.

My batting stance sucks, it's never the same because I have no coordination. My brother had an interesting batting stance, he bat left handed, he squatted like Soriano, but with an open stance. Just to make it look even stranger, he leaned over the plate like Mo Vaughn. During our "games" he would hit pitches up and in the best somehow. He was able to generate much power without being big or really having much experience in the game. Sadly, elbow and back problems have crippled him to this day.

I always do the same routine and same stance. I dig in with the right foot (right handed) then with the left. Tap the plate 3 times (on both corners than the middle), then swing the bat around, pop my jersey, swing the bat around again and get into position. I keep a little waggle in my stance to to keep me loose. I've been keeping my legs farther apart so that I don't overstride. Instead I just take a short step up and down and let my coordination do the work

Archived