Getting Caught Stealing 80% Of The Time.

VDhits

So i got base runner speed at 100 and catcher throw-out succes at 0 and i still get caught stealing about 80 percent of the time.

Any suggestions how i can change/improve this.

VD

Edit: I dont use the Strikezone

So i got base runner speed at 100 and catcher throw-out succes at 0 and i still get caught stealing about 80 percent of the time.

Any suggestions how i can change/improve this.

VD

Take a bigger lead and leave as soon as the pitcher makes his first move toward the plate. I get thrown out a lot with slower guys, but with a fast runner I make it a lot. It's also better to steal when you expect on off speed pitch or if the pitcher takes a long time to release the pitch.

Here's one thing I noticed lately.

Since I purchased the game I have played with StL only. I cannot steal with Rasmus, Schumaker, and Ryan (~80 speed). Ryan has 1 SB, the rest have been throw out probably for a total of 10-to-13 attempts, even with lowered catcher arm ratings. Ryan was safe because the throw was way to the left of the bag.

A few days ago I started playing with StL and Detroit. Granderson is 2-for-2 in SBs in the one game where he had chances to steal.

I do the same lead for both teams when I steal, two taps (steps) and then a hold of the left bumper (3 step lead). I take off (release) when the strike zone disappears (slightly before first move).

Rasmus, Schumaker, and Ryan hesitate for a second, Granderson takes off immediately. That's the difference between being safe/out.

The ratings affect the quality of the jump even if the user does it the same with different players.

Here's one thing I noticed lately.

Since I purchased the game I have played with StL only. I cannot steal with Rasmus, Schumaker, and Ryan (~80 speed). Ryan has 1 SB, the rest have been throw out probably for a total of 10-to-13 attempts, even with lowered catcher arm ratings. Ryan was safe because the throw was way to the left of the bag.

A few days ago I started playing with StL and Detroit. Granderson is 2-for-2 in SBs in the one game where he had chances to steal.

I do the same lead for both teams when I steal, two taps (steps) and then a hold of the left bumper (3 step lead). I take off (release) when the strike zone disappears (slightly before first move).

Rasmus, Schumaker, and Ryan hesitate for a second, Granderson takes off immediately. That's the difference between being safe/out.

The ratings affect the quality of the jump even if the user does it the same with different players.

i do the same thing as you do, two taps and then a hold on the 3rd one, because at 4 taps he will always do a pick-off. And my results are that i have 5 stolen bases in 20 attempts with the Royals. 0-7 with Coco Crisp (around 80 spd). it really bothers me because i wanna get in scoring-position with a guy like Coco when its 2 outs, just for example.

THe MVPCommunity rosters v 1.2 feature roster edits that lowered the catcher's throwing arm/strength by 20 points. From what I have seen, Yadi is the highest at 73 (formerly 93) and Pudge is 72.

You could try editing your opponent's catcher arm and decreasing it even more. I might do this, because I think it is realistic that an 80 speed runner would be able to steal 50-60% of the time (not a high rate, but decent).

Yadi has also thrown out runners at second on balls he has "blocked" or caught on the bounce (curves in the dirt) ... even with an arm strength of 73.

The stealing issue is something that's most likely going to have to be corrected by reducing the catcher's arm strength even more. The downside may be that 90+ speed runners are safe almost all of the time.

IMO, the same situation existed in MVP. When you altered the steal delay slider, so 80 speed guys could be safe once in a while, the 90 speed guys were safe every time. This worked for me because I usually build my teams around speed, defense, and pitching ... but it can be unrealistic at times. I had McClouth, Upton, and Maybin ... and they turned every single/walk into a double, buy guys at 80 (Alex Gordon) would still get thrown out on good throws.

I don;t think we'll ever have a game that mimics real life, like where Pujols is 3-for-3 in steals, because he attempts when pitchers ignore him or choose the perfect pitch/situation to steal. You know you're a darn good hitter (Pujols) when you have almost as many steals (3) as strikeouts (4), and lead the league in HR, RBI, and top 10 in BA.

I have stolen 6 bases in a game with base runner speed slider at 80. How? Three step lead, as soon as the strike zone box fades the pitcher is going home. I usually have two to three steps off before he releases the ball home. I actually have stolen more but the ump call the runner out if it's not a clear cut stolen base. I have replayed calls where my runner's foot is clearly in and the tag is a foot away and still get called out.

That may work for those who use the strike zone, but a lot of us don't. When you are required to watch the pitcher before you jump, you get a much later jump then when watched the strike zone. Usually the difference in being safe or out.

I have stolen 6 bases in a game with base runner speed slider at 80. How? Three step lead, as soon as the strike zone box fades the pitcher is going home. I usually have two to three steps off before he releases the ball home. I actually have stolen more but the ump call the runner out if it's not a clear cut stolen base. I have replayed calls where my runner's foot is clearly in and the tag is a foot away and still get called out.

Yeah, scratch my earlier comments, I just stole 2 bases with Rasmus v. HOU (Pudge) in one game. Rasmus is an 80 speed. Bourne and Pence stole on me (Yadi).

The umps calls (for both teams) is a coin flip.

If the pitcher is going to throw to first, you get a 2 second heads up when the camera shifts and zooms in on the pitcher. If you don't get this camera shot, he's going home. I rarely succeed at stealing even when I put Yadier's arm at 20. Yep, 20. I still get caught. I haven't tried the strike zone fade yet.

So i thought i decrease the arm strength of all the catchers.

I took 20 off of every catcher's arm-strength-rate in the MLB+AAA.

My first try at a steal was with Coco Crisp (84 spd) against pitcher Cliff Lee and Catcher Victor Martinez ( first 57 arm now 37 ) and had a decent jump and stole the base rather easily with a bit of a high throw but it seemed like this worked pretty well. Now this was only 1 try, ill post more results whenever i have em.

I played a couple of games and found reasonable results. I stole 7 bases in 13 attempts with baserunners having speed variating from 80 to 84.

I think its ok right now but i think it will be fairly easy to steal a base with guys with 90+ speed but (on)fortunately, i dont have guys like that on my team.

Archived