Guys, really need help. Game crashing before boot up.

enuttage

This is SO messed up. This is my second copy of the game on my second system, and I'm about to be a permanently lost EA customer after only my first try.

If anyone has *any* advice I'd be ever grateful.

Situation:

Game installs fine. Originally, on my old system (P4 1.6, Radeon 8500) it never loaded, and went to a black screen with ~640x480 resolution (based on the size of the hourglass) and never moved from there. Had to CTRL+ALT+DEL and then sleep and wake up to even see the panel for that. Program not responding.

Well, with my new system (I figured why not, I'll give it a try, right?), which is a P4 3.0, GeForce FX 5900 XT, it actually ran last night when I installed it...once.

Now I try and play, and the same damn thing happens. It's killing me. And after THREE attempts at contacting EA tech support, I have yet to receive any response...not even an autoreply.

Again, any help would be extremely appreciated. I've been playing HH for years, and this surpasses even their ineptitude. I'm beginning to think Markus Heinsohn is the only baseball game maker that will ever be worth buying from again.

TIA and good to be aboard,

-E

OMG!

You can not even imagine how happy I am just to know that someone else out there is in the same boat as me. This has been driving me crazy on and off for over a month. Beautiful! Thanks a ton.

Now...let's see if I can wade through this well enough to get it to work. There are like four links I have to sift through. Will report back, and thanks again. I really, really appreciate it.

-E

You didn't say, but I guess you have the soyo, if you do, once you get it working, it works great.

Instead of wading through all those other posts, here are the detailed directions:

1) Grab these updated drivers.

2) Edit the registry:

This is the registry tweak I added:

1. Open Regedit (Start>Run>regedit)

2. Make your way to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMControlSet001ControlMediaPropertiesPrivateProp erties JoystickOEM

3. You'll see a bunch of entries like VID_045E&PID_000XXXX and when you click on it, it should have the name of a controller in the right pane

4. For me, it was the last entry. Keep going down the list until the controller that has the same name in your Controller is shown on the right window.

5. Delete the description for that window on the right window and rename it to PSX/USB Controller.

Make sure you rename it: PSX/USB Controller, if you want to use my controller.cfg file.

3) Extract my controller.cfg file to: "%userprofile%My DocumentsMVP Baseball 2004"

Ah, yes, it is the controller I have.

Well, the really good news is that the game is running again, no thanks to the SOBs at EA tech support. :)

On the flipside, I'm not getting the game to recognize my controller. I can get in (I've extracted your .cfg file into the folder you told me to) and play with either keyboard option, but no dice on the controller.

Any further thoughts on that?

And thanks again...

-E

I did edit the registry. I just didn't mention it in my post. :)

The one discrepancy I noticed though, was that my controller was listed as "PSX/USB Pad" and not "PSX/USB Controller". I'm changing the registry and the .cfg file to say Pad and I'll see what happens.

-E

Okay, that did it. Changed all names to match the joy.cpl filename and I'm golden. Plays like a charm.

Again, I can't say thanks enough!

-E

p.s. Nice to see a fellow Astros fan around too. You in TX or a geographically removed fan?

Nice to see a fellow Astros fan around too. You in TX or a geographically removed fan?

Nope, I've never been to the state of TX. I grew up cheering for the Braves and Dale Murphy. When he went to the Phillies, I started to like Biggio and Bagwell so I have migrated to the Astros.

I still like the Braves against everybody but the Astros. I live in Atlanta, so I go to a lot of games, especially the Astros ones. A few years ago I went to a game early during BP and got a ball. It has a special logo on it for the inagural season at Enrod Field. <grin>

hey how come you're running on a 640x480 res anyhow? your monitor can't support 1024x768?.

The controller was causing it to crash, before he had a chance to go into video options. I think the default res when you install the game is 640x480.

Archived