Getting back into baseball form......

gcurrier2004

He guys, I am thinking of trying out for a independent baseball team. In High School I was being scouted till I threw my arm out. With my arm not durable enough to pitch, I was looking to maybe try to get back into the game, maybe at firstbase or left field. I am 6'6" 240, and havnt swung a bat in 2 years when I was in a mens league, but was killing the ball then. What kind of exercises, weight training, running, should I get into to get into baseball shape. I would like to get down to about 220-230. Im not heavy by anymeans, but am out of shape. I have not played the outfield in 10 years, and havnt played 1B in about 4. Any tips for me? In high school I could hit also, I hit a homerun in the SkyDome during a High School game to the left field corner, so I know I can swing the bat. Thanks guys! Im hoping to get into shape this year, and try out next year.

I would start with your endurance and your nutrition first.....juxtapose your endurance training with concentration exercises...that is, read while you are on the stationary bike, or have a partner hold up various fingers in your periphial vision for you to identify (don't cheat) couple anything, to help your mind start focusing while you are tired......after awhile move to strength training, don't go crazy, just start challenging your muscles...2 to 3 times a week should suffice if you are pushing you muscle to failure (remember, muscles grow when they are resting).....after that start doing some plyometric work to get your fast twitch muscle developing....start hoizontally then go vertically

all the while you are training, work on your swiing.....start developing muscle memory.....start of slow, day by day until it feels natural...approach it like you are studying a martal art......get a partner and do some drills (plenty online)...but never advance if you are throwing your swing out of wack.....and stay away from that "pure swing" crap and batting cages it will just mess up your timing.....and I wouldn't play softball either, you'll just develop bad habbits hacking at balls......and what ever you do, don't worry about power, you're a big guy the power will come, just worry about being the most fluid and graceful hitter you can be....your goal should be to be a hitter that can wait and be quick

concentrate on forming good habbits for all aspects of your game, even if it means doing things super slow......when you don't realize it, your tools will be there

and I say good luck to you, what you are trying to do is not impossible if you have patience and put in the time

Archived