"Here we go!" The MVP level Tampa Bay Devil Rays d

camus

Version: PC 2005 using EA Patch #3

Difficulty: MVP.

Sliders: None. Only CPU steal rate increased to '30'.

Rosters: Ultimate Rosters V2.35

Progression: Player Progression Mod V2

Other: StrikeZone ON / Hot Colds ON / Fielding MANUAL

Notes:

*** CPU created free agents that were created with high enough ratings were all edited back to the bottom of the pack - only real players or poor created players remain in the free agent pool.

*** R. Baldelli is starting my season fine and healthy. I just like the guy too much even though he's a notorious Orioles killer!

The 2005 Tampa Bay Devil Rays

A team that has struggled since its inception, the Devil Rays seem to have little hope in the future. A team that once gave up on Bobby Abreu, they cannot attract any high-priced free agents in their prime, but have been fantastic at signing overpriced 37 year olds on the brink of retirement (F. McGriff, W. Boggs, among others). Its time to turn this franchise stacked with young, quick, gritty underdeveloped players into a contender in the toughest division in baseball - the AL East.

I'll be updating this weekly or on special occassions (aka when I'm bored at work!). Basically whenever.

Opening Day Roster

Catchers

T. Hall

C. Johnson

Infielders

J. Cantu

A. Gonzalez

A. Huff

J. Lugo

E. Perez

J. Phelps

B. Upton

Outfielders

R. Baldelli

C. Crawford

A. Sanchez

Starting Rotation

1. D. Brazelton

2. M. Hendrickson

3. S. Kazmir

4. R. Bell

5. C. Fossum

Bullpen

LRP H. Nomo

LRP D. Waechter

MRP J. Colome

MRP T. Harpers

MRP T. Miller

SU L. Carter

CL D. Baez

I'm leaving Joey Gathright in the minors so he can tear it up some more before I move one of my outfielders for some starting pitching perhaps. He's starting in CF at AAA Durham, and Delmon Young is starting in RF at AA.

After the first month I'll see who I want to put on the trading block. Right now however it looks like A. Sanchez will be there as he's the odd man out and the eldest. But as for now, the starting lineup is as follows:

CF A. Sanchez

LF C. Crawford

RF R. Baldelli

DH A. Huff

1B T. Lee

2B J. Lugo

C T. Hall

3B J. Cantu

SS B. Upton

I've decided to sit A. Gonzalez in favor of the 20 year old B.J. Upton. Also, I've decided to let him play his natural position while moving J. Lugo to 2B and J. Cantu to 3B where he can split time with Gonzalez. This gives me excellant speed, range, and arms up the middle and a terrific double-play combo, especially with the highly adept T. Lee at first-base. . Also, this allows the weaker fielding J. Cantu to fool around at third base. Perhaps this is a position I look to upgrade via trade, but not for now.

Opening day is about to begin, and Tropicana field is about to host the start of the season with a series against the Blue Jays.

Hope you guys enjoy!

Game 1: Opening Day versus the Blue Jays.

A game that D. Brazelton pitched 5.1 stellar innings, striking out five, seemed hopeless as T. Miller walked two followed by T. Harper giving up a three run bomb to give Toronto a 4-1 edge in the top of the 6th. However, hope was not lost.

In the eighth, R. Baldelli singled to center, and then advanced to third on a wild pick-off throw by M. Batista. A. Huff then did this:

huff2runhomersin8thtobringscoreto4-3.jpg

Two-run homer to left-center to bring the score to 4-3 Jays. After having H. Nomo pitching two scoreless innings, the Rays went into the bottom of the ninth.

The Jays brought in newly acquired closer D. Reichert. He immediately gave up a 5-pitch walk to J. Cantu, followed by a BJ Upton sacrifice bunt that moved Cantu to second. Things got interesting by the A. Sanchez single to center that moved Cantu to third. Sanchez then pulled a dicy play by stealing second base. This led to a C. Crawford walk to pack the bags.

R. Baldelli then watched as strike three went by. Then came the clean-up hitter A. Huff. Could he work his magic again?

huffgrandslamwinsgamein9th.jpg

Yes! Grandslam Aubrey Huff on a ball that just cleared the outstretched arm of A. Rios in right field, and the Rays win their opener in dramatic fashion 7-4. Is this a preview of the season to come? We'll have to wait and see!

Archived