Cpu vs. Cpu settings?

BravesFan420

well heres the thing, Im playing dynasty mode but I dont feel like playing the games most the time so I sit there and watch..But it seems to me that my braves arent hitting anything, I think the most runs I have had is like 3 and that was from a knock from A.J......and the most hits have been 7. Im using RRodkey 5 with the realbaseball tune.My sliders are set the way jackcasper49 has in the docs,and im playing on MVP.So i guess my question is there a better way to set the sliders up so my team can score and get more hits all the while staying true to a real game,because to me it just doesnt seem to be true simming......Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

thanks guys

I had a very similar problem... few homeruns and few hits... I've been experimenting with the sliders for about a week and think I've finally found settings which produce realistic results (to my eyes anyway)... these are based on the work of Rod and Kamasutra.

Having watched thousands of baseball games over the years, I tried to watch as many of the CPU v CPU games as possible, while testing variations of these sliders. The final product produces a pleasing brand of baseball. Again, much of this is subjective, but these sliders produce a style of baseball to my liking.

CPU v CPU (Real Tune w/Rod data v5)

Pitch Speed -5

CPU Fatigue 20

CPU Batting Contact 15

CPU Batting Power 10

CPU Bunting Ability 15

CPU Outfielder Speed -12

CPU Infielder Speed -11

CPU Baserunning Speed 0

CPU Throw Speed -5

CPU Throw Accuracy -15

CPU Runner Aggression 5

Runner Injury Frequency 7

Pitcher Injury Frequency 8

Batter Injury Frequency 7

Fielder Injury Frequency 6

CPU Steal Rate 5

CPU Catch Errors 35

CPU Runner Steal Speed -5

CPU Runner Steal Delay 3

Bullpen Fatigue Rate -5

Bullpen Fatigue Grace 10

BravesFan,

I implemented Rod's new datafile a few days ago and while I'm not a big fan of the camera changes, the fielding animations have been improved dramatically. The most astonishing changes have been the near elimination of camera stutter and the 2B and SS fielding animations. In prior versions, whenever the SS went deep into the hole to snag a grounder, he would have to make a terribly weak, off-balance throw. Version 7 eliminates this flaw. Now, both the 2B and SS pivot much quicker on all plays. I even saw the SS make an underhanded toss to the 2B to start a double play (was very cool to see).

Anyway, I tweaked the sliders yet again to compensate for v7 changes.

Here are the new sliders (and results after a twenty game test... by no means comprehensive, but a nice snapshot nonetheless)...

CPU v CPU (Rod data v7)

Pitch Speed -5

CPU Pitcher Fatigue 15 (At setting 20, I noticed that several 90+ STM pitchers were being given quick hooks after allowing relatively few base runners... 15 seems to be the magic number...)

CPU Batting Contact 30 (might seem high, but still getting a fair amount of strikeouts and now generating realistic number of hits...)

CPU Batting Power 10

CPU Bunting Ability 15

CPU Outfielder Speed -12

CPU Infielder Speed -11 (Prevents an excessive number of "Roberto Alomar '93 Series Superman dives"... LOL, all Jays' fans will know of what I speak... anyway, at setting 11, Infielders still have enough speed to take advantage of their various RNG settings...)

CPU Baserunning Speed 0

CPU Throw Speed -5

CPU Throw Accuracy -15

CPU Runner Aggression 5

Runner Injury Frequency 7

Pitcher Injury Frequency 8

Batter Injury Frequency 7

Fielder Injury Frequency 6

CPU Steal Rate 5 (Many people now have this set at 0, however I will admit I'm a huge fan of the Herzog era Cardinals, so I like to see the default steal rate increased a bit... 0 may be more realistic in terms of today's "waiting for the homer" strategy, but it's not the brand of baseball I prefer...)

CPU Catch Errors 35 (If you can believe it, I just started seeing errors on normal catches at value 30, as opposed to bobbles only occurring as a result of the dramatic superman dives... this value might need to be increased even more to achieve a reasonable number of errors...)

CPU Runner Steal Speed -5

CPU Runner Steal Delay 2 (Value 1 results in almost no runners being thrown out, while value 3 results in close to 50% success rate, based on 30+ games... that leaves us with 2 which seems to result in more realistic success rates...)

Bullpen Fatigue Rate -5

Bullpen Fatigue Grace 10

Results (Twenty game test... random teams, Starters 1-5 each pitched four games)

Runs... 7.6/game

Hits... 8.6/team/game

Errors... 0.5/game

Walks... 2.1/team/game

Strikeouts... 7.2/team/game (still not happy with the K to BB ratio, but I'll take this flaw if Runs, Hits and Homeruns are fairly accurate)

Doubles... 3.1/game

Triples... 0.3/game

Homeruns... 2.3/game

Stolen Bases... 1.7/game (64% success rate)

Anyway, I realize twenty games is hardly a scientific test, but I this is supposed to be fun after all, right!?

Let me know what results you receive with the above sliders.

Take care, jbhawg

BF,

I tweaked the sliders just a bit, again. This is the final batch of testing before I begin my dynasty. I ran another twenty game test. Although my testing was by no means comprehensive, I think the number of games provides a nice snapshot.

Here goes (CPU v CPU, No DH, MVP level, GForce v2, Rod v7)...

PITCH SPEED -5

CPU PITCHER FATIGUE 15

CPU BATTING CONTACT 40

CPU BATTING POWER 10

CPU BUNTING ABILITY 15

CPU OUTFIELDER SPEED -12

CPU INFIELDER SPEED -11

CPU BASERUNNING SPEED 0

CPU THROW SPEED -5

CPU THROW ACCURACY -15

CPU RUNNER AGGRESSION 5

RUNNER INJURY FREQ 7

PITCHER INJURY FREQ 8

BATTER INJURY FREQ 7

FIELDER INJURY FREQ 6

CPU STEAL RATE 5

CPU CATCH ERRORS 50

CPU RUNNER STEAL SPEED -5

CPU RUNNER STEAL DELAY 2

BULLPEN FATIGUE RATE -5

BULLPEN FATIGUE GRACE 10

Results/Team/Game (NL 2003 Avg)

Runs 4.46 (4.61)

Hits 8.68 (8.93)

Batting Avg .255 (.262)

Walks 3.12 (3.35)

Strikeouts 6.99 (6.59)

Doubles 1.96 (1.80)

Triples 0.24 (0.19)

Homeruns 0.93 (1.05)

Stolen Bases 0.80 (0.50 / 0.76 (1999))

SB %63.12 (%68.87 / %70.24 (1999))

Again, these sliders use Kamasutra's latest as a foundation (and to some extent Rod v5 sliders). I merely tweaked his work for CPU v CPU play. I was stunned to see the rise in walks after the latest batch of testing... that, along with the number of errors had been my biggest complaints. However, producing accurate number of errors seems hopeless (nothing new in the gaming world).

Having set CPU Catch Errors at the maximum allowable, the computer still averages less than 0.5 per game. One could significantly decrease CPU Throw Accuracy, but that impacts stolen bases as well. And stolen bases are very difficult to balance correctly. Considering I recently had a game where Luis Castillo was caught stealing, while Sean Burroughs had a succesful attempt... well, I'm pretty happy with the stolen base model now.

The other setting of interest has to do with steal rate. Both Rod and Kam had set their latest versions to 0. While this probably produces more accurate totals, one of my all-time favorite teams was the 80s Cardinals, so I purposely tweaked the settings to increase the number of steals. Interestingly, five years ago, stolen base totals were 52% higher. I didn't realize the dropoff had been that drastic.

Again, these sliders are for CPU v CPU play... not sure what impact they would have on Hum v CPU.

No... these sliders are strictly PC, using GForce v2, Rodkey v7 and MVP difficulty level...

It's surprising to me you're getting a lot of strikeouts, given the high Contact settings, lowered Pitch Speed and increased Pitcher Fatigue. I am now 30+ games into my first dynasty and have slightly tweaked the settings since my last post.

My current settings are...

PITCH SPEED -10

CPU PITCHER FATIGUE 23

CPU BATTING CONTACT 50

CPU BATTING POWER 37

CPU BUNTING ABILITY 20

CPU OUTFIELDER SPEED -12

CPU INFIELDER SPEED -12

CPU BASERUNNING SPEED -7

CPU THROW SPEED 0

CPU THROW ACCURACY -15

CPU RUNNER AGGRESSION 5

RUNNER INJURY FREQ 15

PITCHER INJURY FREQ -20

BATTER INJURY FREQ 15

FIELDER INJURY FREQ 15

CPU STEAL RATE 0

CPU CATCH ERRORS 50

CPU RUNNER STEAL SPEED 0

CPU RUNNER STEAL DELAY 0

BULLPEN FATIGUE RATE -5

BULLPEN FATIGUE GRACE 10

I don't have the league averages as MVP does a horrible job of compiling stats, generates no league totals (haven't found them anyway) and I haven't compiled all the team stats yet.

However, I can say my general sense is these tweaks have created even greater realism/accuracy. The only additional tweaks I can foresee at this point are increased Pitcher Injury Frequency and increased Baserunning Speed.

If anything, at this point the game is generating a K-BB ratio slanted too much in favor of walks. It is not uncommon for the teams to combine for 10+ walks per game and have more walks than strikeouts. However, our experiences might very well differ given the variety of mods available.

BF,

I tweaked the sliders just a bit, again. This is the final batch of testing before I begin my dynasty. I ran another twenty game test. Although my testing was by no means comprehensive, I think the number of games provides a nice snapshot.

Here goes (CPU v CPU, No DH, MVP level, GForce v2, Rod v7)...

PITCH SPEED -5

CPU PITCHER FATIGUE 15

CPU BATTING CONTACT 40

CPU BATTING POWER 10

CPU BUNTING ABILITY 15

CPU OUTFIELDER SPEED -12

CPU INFIELDER SPEED -11

CPU BASERUNNING SPEED 0

CPU THROW SPEED -5

CPU THROW ACCURACY -15

CPU RUNNER AGGRESSION 5

RUNNER INJURY FREQ 7

PITCHER INJURY FREQ 8

BATTER INJURY FREQ 7

FIELDER INJURY FREQ 6

CPU STEAL RATE 5

CPU CATCH ERRORS 50

CPU RUNNER STEAL SPEED -5

CPU RUNNER STEAL DELAY 2

BULLPEN FATIGUE RATE -5

BULLPEN FATIGUE GRACE 10

Results/Team/Game (NL 2003 Avg)

Runs 4.46 (4.61)

Hits 8.68 (8.93)

Batting Avg .255 (.262)

Walks 3.12 (3.35)

Strikeouts 6.99 (6.59)

Doubles 1.96 (1.80)

Triples 0.24 (0.19)

Homeruns 0.93 (1.05)

Stolen Bases 0.80 (0.50 / 0.76 (1999))

SB %63.12 (%68.87 / %70.24 (1999))

Again, these sliders use Kamasutra's latest as a foundation (and to some extent Rod v5 sliders). I merely tweaked his work for CPU v CPU play. I was stunned to see the rise in walks after the latest batch of testing... that, along with the number of errors had been my biggest complaints. However, producing accurate number of errors seems hopeless (nothing new in the gaming world).

Having set CPU Catch Errors at the maximum allowable, the computer still averages less than 0.5 per game. One could significantly decrease CPU Throw Accuracy, but that impacts stolen bases as well. And stolen bases are very difficult to balance correctly. Considering I recently had a game where Luis Castillo was caught stealing, while Sean Burroughs had a succesful attempt... well, I'm pretty happy with the stolen base model now.

The other setting of interest has to do with steal rate. Both Rod and Kam had set their latest versions to 0. While this probably produces more accurate totals, one of my all-time favorite teams was the 80s Cardinals, so I purposely tweaked the settings to increase the number of steals. Interestingly, five years ago, stolen base totals were 52% higher. I didn't realize the dropoff had been that drastic.

Again, these sliders are for CPU v CPU play... not sure what impact they would have on Hum v CPU.

Using these settings with GForce v2 and RRodkey v7, I found that in 7 of the games I simulated CPU vs CPU, all 7 had the winning team shutting out the losing team. I'll see if I have the same problem with your latest sliders. Other than that, great work! Th e BB rate is perfect IMO.

Archived