Q: Bowflex Helps Baseball?

RTCYankz

Might be a little late, but you're better off with bands and free weights so that you can do baseball specific exercises that a bowflex won't be capable of.

a Bowflex will help you get generally stronger and more muscular, but just in general...not baseball specific.

My advice: swimming, working out, and running.

Swimming, working out, and running keep me in shape.

Swimming really helps you develop good strong shoulders and basically toughens you up/increases your stamina. Working out is important to stay strong. Running, well, I just do it.

My advice; get a job were you lift a lot of heavy stuff. Walk to your job and make sure it's far away. I used to walk all the time and run home at night and my legs got huge compared to my upper body. I just starting working and half my job is lifting box up and down stairs and walking with him and bringing them back and forth. I noticed a considerable difference in my strength since I started.

Walking/running is definetely a good way to get speed and quickness up and for upper body strength, just lift as much stuff as possible. Even lifting in a weight room helps but lifting boxes and such is what helps the most because it uses your natural muscle and strength transfer as opposed to lifting weights which you can usually only focus on one aspect.

IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just wondering how many of the responses in this thread have a Bowflex or at least have worked out on one? Personally, I have had the original Bowflex XTLU(the one with the bench) with Lat Tower, Leg attachment, and Squat attachment for 7 years.

I really enjoy the type of resistance it has. It is the perfect balance of free weights and tubing/bands, working all the small stabilizer muscles due to its design and is easier on the joints. The resistance is really top-notch, andyou dont need a spotter. Alot of home machines have too much play at the beginning and end of the stroke, but the Bowflex has great tension right through the entire rep. I'm 6:4 with long legs/arms and have issues with alot of other machines I have tried when is comes to leg work but the engineering on the Bowflex is perfect for me when it comes to the angles. The sponge cushions are top notch too.

I have worked out on just about every workout machine in the last 25+ years during and after my baseball career and I have been nothing but impressed with Bowflex. People I know that have actually worked out on one really love it and are really surprised by the workout they get. Dont be fooled by their marketing infomercials and the cheesy perception of that category. This is a real workout machine that is perfect for ballplayers and doesnt take up much space. The newer machines take up even less space and you dont have to change cabling during your workout! Bowflex customer service has always been top notch too.

I cant comment on the cheaper Bowflex machines that are showing up in various stores. They appear to be sturdy and have the same design principles though.

I highly recommend swimming also for baseball players, right after any workout to naturally stretch out. Also, dont forget to swing the bat/throw the ball shortly after your workout for optimal muscle memory benefits.

Archived