The Rocket has Landed: A Houston Astro's Dynasty

Five_Star

Astro's General Manager, Tim Purpura, announces his plans for the 2005 season:

"In 2004, we made a great run. We were considered out of it early on, but we didn't give up. We made some trades, and we also brought in our current manager, Phil Garner. What he did with that team, I just can't explain. Our run down the stretch was incredible, despite everyone writing us off. That's the kind of approach you can expect us to take this year. We lost some key players, but we also have a great group of young kids ready to earn their wings. Phil has my full support. I trust him to lead us back to the playoffs, and make us contenders again. The critics may be writing us off early, but they did last year too, and look what happened. Baseball is a game of inches. It only takes the slightest change to make a team click. If we need to make some moves, then we will. But I am confident in what we have now. Roger coming back is a huge left for this team. This will be a season to remember."

Just 2 days before the season begins, Phil Garner has submitted his 2005 Opening Day roster.

Starting lineup:

CF Wily Taveras

2B Craig Biggio

1B Jeff Bagwell

RF Lance Berkman

3B Morgan Ensberg

LF Jason Lane

SS Adam Everett

C Brad Ausmus

Starting Rotation:

SP Roger Clemens

SP Roy Oswalt

SP Andy Pettitte

SP Brandon Backe

SP Brandon Duckworth

Bullpen:

LRP Chad Harville

LRP Russ Springer

MRP John Franco

MRP Chad Qualls

SU Danny Wheeler

CP Brad Lidge

Bench:

C Raul Chavez

IF Jose Vizcaino

2B Chris Burke

UT Eric Bruntlet

LF Orlando Palmeiro

3B/LF Mike Lamb

When we asked Phil who his Opening Day starter would be, it came as no surprise:

"Roger. Coming back to the Astro's was a huge lift for this team. He deserves it."

Archived