Living in Hurricane Alley: A Devil Rays Dynasty

mooseknucks

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

logotampatribune1xf.jpg

Orioles Get Dismantled

Tampa Bay Devil Rays (6-1) v. Baltimore Orioles (2-5)

Rob Bell (2-0) v. Rodrigo Lopez (0-1)

untitled15cz.png

Left to Right: Lopez has a chat after the six run second fueled by McShaft's three-run homerun

Batting:

Harlen McShaft: 2/4, 2 homeruns (8), 4 RBI's (13)

Travis Hafner: 2/4, solo homerun (4), 2 R

Josh Phelps: 0/2, 2 sacrifice flies, 2 RBI's (4)

Pitching:

Rob Bell 2-0: 8 innings, 6 H, 3 R, 6 K's

Jesus Colome: 1 inning, 2 H, 1 R, 2 K's

The Devil Rays jumped out to an amazing start, rattling Lopez for six earned runs in the second inning. Rob Bell kept the O's at bay for seven innings than slipped up in the eigth. Colome gave a homer to Bigbie on his first pitch, than got rocked the next inning by Sammy Sosa.

Overall the game was a positive as Bell kept the road clear for the hot Devil Ray bats. Colome still hasn't found his arm slot but hasn't cost them any games thus far.

untitled22sf.png

logotampatribune1xf.jpg

Westbrook's Second Dominant Start Unveiled

Tampa Bay Devil Rays (6-1) v. Baltimore Orioles (2-6)

Jake Westbrook (2-0) v. Bruce Chen (0-2)

game71bh.png

Left to Right: Baldelli cracks his second RBI single of the game while Westbrook dominates, striking out the side in the first

Batting:

Harlen McShaft: 2/4, 3-run homerun (9), 3 RBI's (16)

Rocco Baldelli: 3/4, 2 RBI singles, 2B, 2 RBI's (4)

Pitching:

Jake Westbrook 2-0: 8 innings, 5 H, 1 R, 10 K's

Danys Baez: 1 inning, 2 H, 1 R, 27.00 ERA

Billy Koch S3: 1 inning, 3 K's

Jake Westbrook began the game were he left off against the Jay's; striking down the first three batters on eleven pitches. He cruised up until the eigth inning were he sacrificed his perfect ERA for a risky slider to Ace Conolly. Ace capitalized and blasted it out in right field without a doubt. Westbrook bounced back and struck out the following two batters in 1-2-3 fashion.

Baez came on for the save but gave up back to back triples and walked a a batter, than gave the ropes to Koch who struck out the side with runners on first and second. Rumor has it Koch will take over the closer position.

Nearing the end of the game, the stadium was buzzing as McShaft came up to chants of "M-V-P! M-V-P!" as he had yet to hit a homerun. McShaft stepped up with Hall on third and Crawford on first and gave an ARod-esque swing, driving a high fly ball opposite field for a homerun, overshadowing Baldelli's 3/4 game, driving in the first two runs. The fans may be right if McShaft can keep up the hitting.

line78wt.png

logotampatribune1xf.jpg

Some Changes Meet the Bullpen

Manager Lou Pinella has made some moves after seeing another dismal appearance by former closer Danys Baez. Billy Koch will take over the role as closer and Baez will take some middle releif to lighten his ERA. Baez, irate, has been noticeably difficult in the clubhouse, causing some of the team players to lose confidence and happiness as well.

Baez was caught coming out of the clubhouse in a fit of rage, and mistakedly talked to the media. He had this to say; "Who the hell does Pinella think he is?! He thinks he come in here and spend half as much time as I have here and boss me around? Bullshit man! I don't have to stand for this. I earned the damn closing role and I will get it back, by whatever means. The head case Koch won't last long. He'll crumble and they'll have no one and come back to me. They need me like they need air and the sooner those assholes realize that, the sooner this team will be back on track. That ******* screwball of a manager Pinella will meet his day and hopefully Ronin comes to his damn senses and cans that jerk. Maybe I wouldn't be as bad as I am if I had a little time to warm up. The half inning before isn't enough time for me, I'm not a delicate pitcher. I don't need to be bitched around. We'll see how long that old ******* is here after I talk to Ronin."

The move leaves Lance Carter isn't the setup role and Koch to close and Baez, Colome and Harper in the middle. Time will only tell how things work out but you can mark this day as one of Baez' last.

--Tony Marcilioni; Tampa Tribune

Sorry for the in-frequent updates but I've been a busy man lately. I have pictures and the right up for a game ready but I'll be heading out in T-10 minutes. I'll get that game and possibly another up tonight, and sorry for cutting everyone off. :lol:

logotampatribune1xf.jpg

Baez; Suspended and Fined

Earlier this morning general manager Sicili Ronin had a sit down discussion with Danys Baez and Lou Pinella seperately, both freeing their emotions on the GM. Pinella went in first and explained his reasoning for not using Baez in the closing role. Ronin commented on the laid back fashion Pinella was in and cut straight to the chase.

Than came Baez. Straight from the horses mouth (Ronin that is) was this comment; "The little punk showed no control and no respect. He kept shouting explatives, driving my secretaries mad and driving away potential clients. Baez ran his mouth from things about his childhood to things about his manhood, neither of which I wanted to know about. There's no place on this team for Baez and his sore attitude. He's been placed on the block and will serve a ten game suspension kicked off by a $500,000 fine for his actions and lip flapping to the media."

Baez was designated for assignment today and if he is not traded by his suspension deadline, he will be released into free agency. Baez' suspension is without pay and the fine must be paid by the end of his "vacation". GM Ronin doesn't think he cracked down too hard and neither does the rest of the team.

Third baseman Harlen McShaft had this to say after practice this morning; "Good riddance. I mean, the guy did nothing positive. From his ability, or inability for that matter, to his lacking motivation and his downright terrible attitude. I won't publicaly say I'm happy because I'll just be starting trouble but I think I speak for the whole team when I say, good riddance."

logotampatribune1xf.jpg

Showdown at the Trop

Tampa Bay Devil Rays (7-2) v. Baltimore Orioles (3-6)

Howard Dorothy (0-1) v. Omar Daal (1-0)

untitled14bk.png

Left to Right: Pinella argues the Rays only scoring oppurtunity while Dorothy K's one of his eight over nine innings

Batting:

Rocco Baldelli: 3/4, 2 doubles, .333 AVG

McShaft/Cantu/Lugo: 1/4, single

Pitching:

Howard Dorothy 0-1: 9 innings, 1 R on 3 H, 8 K's, CG

Rookie pitcher Howard Dorothy pitched simply amazing. He scattered three hits over the game, one of which was a solo homer to Baltimore catcher Javy Lopez. The defense was outstanding as well, but finese pitcher Omar Daal one upped Dorothy, pitching a shutout.

In the third inning, Rocco Baldelli hit one of his doubles after third baseman phenom Harlen McShaft hit a single and stole second. The throw came in to home up the line and McShaft was called out on a terrible call. Manager Lou Pinella stormed out and got himself ejected lickity split. The 'Rays were stumped all game until the final inning when they had two on and no outs. Hall was on second, Crawford on first, and closer BJ Ryan got three popups ending the game.

untitled26nf.png

• 2 weeks later...

Are they really that bright in the game?

I didn't think "my graphics card sucks" was too hard to understand ... but than again ... :roll:

Sorry to the few who enjoyed this dynasty. Getting scheduled for double shifts last week and Monday-Friday work week this week, it's getting really kind of hard to bang out any games. I got 3 games in Boston to be done and have played a few extra games. I'll post some noteable stats in a few minutes to let you guys know where I am.

logotampatribune1xf.jpg

Tampa Keepin' it Real at the Bay

The Tampa Bay Devil Rays are in the midst of their best start yet, losing only two of their first sixteen games, giving them a league best 14-2 record. The 'Rays squad hasn't lost a step offensively, defensively, or in the pitching department. Of the last eight games, their starters have had the decision in seven of them, all wins, while one decision went to middle releiver Jesus Colome, giving him his third of the year. Against a good offensive team of Texas, young hard thrower Chien Ming Wang had easily his most dominant performance, hurling a complete game, throwing eight and a third innings of perfection. He crumbled in the ninth and gave up back to back to back doubles, but still maintained the victory, striking out a career high nine.

Rookie phenom Harlen McShaft has "fallen off the map" so to speak, hitting one homerun in his last four games, but still have a comfortable margain over teammates Travis Hafner and Aubrey Huff.

Harlen McShaft: .400 15 HR* 28 RBI* 31 H+

Rocco Baldelli: .397 1 HR 10 RBI 29 H 30 R*

Travis Hafner: .244 10 HR 15 RBI

Aubrey Huff: .349 10 HR 20 RBI

Jake Westbrook: 3-0 0.98 ERA* 37 K's* 2 BB

Scott Kazmir: 4-0 1.98 ERA 28 K's

Jesus Colome: 3-0 3.91 ERA 24.2 IP* 22 K's

Billy Koch: 10 APP 0.00 ERA 8 SV* 14 K's

* = Leads Majors

+ = Leads American League

The Devil Rays may cool off, but it could be too late for any team to make a move. Lou Pinella has expressed tons of happiness, as has the rest of the team. Who knows when the Devil Rays will slow but what happens if they don't? Do we have a record setting team with record setting players?

logotampatribune1xf.jpg

INJURY REPORT

Westbrook Goes Down With Broken Arm

Right hander Jake Westbrook took a hefty blow in the 'Rays sixteenth win of the season, fracturing his arm on a come backer off the bat of Edgar Renteria. Westbrook hit the deck hard as the ball richochetted from his arm to third baseman Harlen McShaft. To make matters worse, emergency releiver Seth McClung gave up a three run homerun on the very next pitch, tallying two earned runs on Westbrook's impecable earned run allottment.

Westbrook was quoted later that night after emerging from the hospital in a cast and sling. "I'm really pissed off. That was the second pitch taken right at me, one after the other. Payton hit one at me that I deflected with the glove but couldn't catch. Than Renteria launched on at my arm and damn did it hurt. I'm going to miss quite a few starts and it really pisses me off since this was my best start of my career. Something always goes wrong and I'm the one it happens to."

Westbrook will miss forty five days, or in his language, nine or more starts. Manager Lou Pinella called up starter Dewon Brazelton and sent down long releiver Seth McClung, expressing disgust for McClung inoppurtune bad pitches.

Archived