What's the deal with callup pitcher accuracy?

I played some games with my minor league teams to get a feel for which pitchers had some control. I sent down two pitchers who had just a sliver of green to the minors, and brought up two who couldn't throw a ball in AAA if they had to. Sure enough, when I pitch those guys in the majors, they had the same small green zone as the guy I sent down.

Now I understand that the callup may not have the same stuff, but you can either throw your fastball for strikes or you can't. If you could paint the corners in AAA, you can do it in the bigs. Maybe there is a greater contact chance for someone who doesn't have as good stuff, but control is control. It's not like the plate got smaller in the bigs than it was in the minors.

If I had to guess, I think its because the big league hitters should have a better chance of hitting a recently called up minor leaguer, since the code can't make a hitter a better hitter for some pitcher and not for others, it adjusts the amount of control "the greeen zone" for those rookie pitchers. Generally I've noticed that if I leave the rookie in the Majors, till after spring training and the progression calc...he usually gets better control (as measured by the amount of green in the zone).

Hope that helps....could be off base, but that's how it appears to mne.

Cheers,

Daniel

I figured that's it as well, but that's an awful cheesy way to deal with a guyyou bring up from the minors. I mean, the guy already has lower effectiveness, meaning the hitter has a better contact chance against the pitcher. Fair enough. But to make the guy less able to throw strikes is just goofy.

By they way, one of the call-ups was Juan Acevedo, who has been pitching in the Majors since 1995. So it's not like he's a rookie. He can throw darts with all his pitches in AAA, but can't find the plate in the Majors. :banghead:

Archived