where should i locate these pitches?

sagolous

ok, well...

a 2 seem fastball is a fastball that has tail to it, usually a slightly upwards but more of a movement back into your throwing hand. For a rightie it would move a little up and to the right, for the leftie it would move a little up and two the left. Of course, this all has to do with where you're trying to throw it, how hard, and all the stuff that affect baseball physics

A screwball is almost like a slider, except that it breaks back into instead of away from. Much the same as a 2-seamer but it has considerably more break. For its location, I would throw it (As a right handed pitcher) away from left handers, and into the hands of a right hander. Its not a bad pitch to jam someone up with, but not many people use it in real life cuz its hell on the arm if it isn't thrown perfect

A forkball is just a splitfinger. It has a little wobble, sort of a tumbling effect to it. That means that the bottom falls out of it and there MAY be a little lateral movement, but it can move either left or right. For right handers it has a tendency to break off to the left, similiar to a curveball, but can go right depending on location. Throw it in a similiar pattern to the screwball, I usually nip at the corners with this kind of pitch, low and in, low and out..the idea is to get it to fall out of the zone and have the batter chase it. Hang one and its gonna get hit hard.

A palmball is pretty much like a change up, but the movement is more erractic and harder to follow. The pitch will obviously be slower, acting closely to a knuckleball but having much more similiarity to the changeup as i mentioned. Throw it the same as you would a changeup

All pitches move based on velocity and location. Different speeds and different locations will have an effect on all pitches you throw. The best way to go about it is to mix around and just don't leave anything hangin over of the plate.

thanks for that ken, im a newb to baseball (but being from england have good enough knowledge of cricket to appreciate exponants of spin and seam on a pitched ball) and those explinations of niche pitches was really useful :)... none of my marlins pitch any of those but now i know what to expect from opponents

and in reply to the guys thread title question... i have 2 main points of advise

a: whenever throwing an intentional ball... start it out across the strike zone to entice the batter before it dances away

b (most importantly, this will give you more confidence in throwing a high fastball or whatever when theres bases loaded and a home run hitter up)

before any series take a quite look at the lineup in scout report and quickly note down the starting lineup's hot/cold zone areas... and always work around the cold zones...

use the hot zones to your advanmtage, ie: throw change up there because they are ready to go for it in their zone... or get it to curve away from their hot zone... but if its a full count, bases loaded... a fastball in their cold zone is your best bet :)

Archived