Video Card!

Hey all..I'm looking foward to buying a new video card for my PC.. and i also want it to work real well w/ MVP 2004 ... and if anyone can..please post the video card name and maybe a screenshot..that'd be great..thx. :)

That problem with the players showing up bright happens with 'integrated video cards' so your plan to buy a new card is a good one, besides it will help out your performance a great deal...even a relatively cheap card will outperform your integrated one 2 to 1...

An ATI 9800Pro would be great, but they are just shy of $200US...

Assuming a budget of around $100US or less:

ATI based 9600 Pro 128MB probably around $100US (don't get an SE model)

Nvidia based 5600 Ultra 128MB, or 5700 : generally under $100US

You could also check out NewEgg.com, they sell some refurbished cards for pretty cheap...I've seen GeForce4 Ti 4200's for under $70US, just remember that that card is becoming outdated and won't perform well in the newest titles such as Far Cry, and Halo....It's what I use right now and I'm still fairly happy with it.

If that is the one you have, then it should be fairly easy....although I don't think the one listed there has 'integrated video', it looks like it has an ATI 9200 in an AGP slot.

The fact that it has an AGP is great, that means you should be able to buy one of those new cards and just plug it in, connect the monitor, load the drivers and go...oh, and if it already has a card in the AGP slot, you would have to remove it first :D

The only thing you have to be careful about is that the machine really does have an AGP slot, some computers don't, mostly cheap ones or ones intended for office applications...in that case you would need a PCI card which really limits your selection, and they don't perform nearly as well as an AGP card. But it doesn't sound like that is an issue for you.

It should be a fairly easy procedure, just make sure the new card is seated fully in its slot and away you go.

I suppose, if you really wanted to be careful, most places will install it for you for a fee....that way you wouldn't have to worry about anything.

No..thats not the one that i have..its similar to that model...shape size and stuff...idk bout the slots though...but not the slots..its just w/ one of those cheap video cards that came w/ the PC..how much does it cost for the store to install the card?

I have a Nividia GForce 2 (64 mb) and after dowloading all the stadium mods, click intro, some bats, blimps and Roddata 5 I keep having freez-ups of my system.... Is my card the root of the problem?

Read above.... I'm trying to decide if dropping some money on a card will fix my problems.

If your computer has an AGP slot, installing a video card is about the easiest thing you can do

Yes it is very easy, you just have to make sure you have an AGP slot...if you can find the specs for your machine, it will say...otherwise you will need to open it up and look. It will be the uppermost slot, closest to the CPU, and should be brown (rarely green) in color, and will be set a bit farther back from the rest of the slots in there. The rest of the slots are PCI slots for sound cards, network cards, etc. and will be white in color.

Do you know what the model number is on your PC? That way we can look it up and see what's in it.

Oh, and I have no idea how much a store would charge to put the card in, but if it is anymore than about $15 it's a rip off.

Archived