how do i use direct ip

gdutov

i haev a router, when i want to host a game it says my ip address is the 192.168 address of the router, i dont see how anyone would be able to connect to that

You have to allow the ports to be opened that the game needs in order to connect. (TCP ports 80 & 443. UDP port 10001) Btw... there are many ways that allow you to see your "true" IP address. One of them is to go to a site called www.whatismyip.com

can u help me play with direct ip, i tried hosting and my friend tried hosting but it just didnt work for some reason we tried connecting at the same time and all

Call your service provider & make sure that they are not blocking port 80. Some providers do this in order to not have people host servers on their bandwidth. Also, make sure that other programs are not blocking your connection. (such as windows firewall settings or norton's internet worm protection or zone alarm's firewall)

Optimum Online (at least in New York) officially blocks port 80. They are very weird. They claim the reason they do that is because port 80 is a port that servers use, & they don't want their cable lines used as servers. I have the same provider as you. It really is hit or miss with them. In my old place I too could never host a game because of this issue. I had to always connect to my friend when playing IP to IP & he could never connect to me. But I moved & though I am still using Optimum Online cable internet, now I can host also. Go figure.

Anyway, my advice is, either be statisfied with always having to connect to the person you're playing or change service providers. I know it's a bummer, but that's Optimum Online for you.

Archived