Oakland A's dynasty

gcurrier2004

I wanted to start this in the beginning of my season, but decided to wait about 3 weeks into my season. This is my Oakland A's Dynasty. If I get enough of a following I will keep posting updates. It has been a fun up and down season so far. Some games the A's look like a World Series contender, the next they look like a triple-A team. I have had a couple of injuries, nothing major OF Nick Swisher and RP Juan Cruz.

DL:

DL.jpg

I did not start the season out well, but have gotten over the .500 hump, luckly none of the other teams have done well either.

Standings:

standings.jpg

Catcher:

Kendall.jpg

I was not happy with Melhuse as a backup, and with Swisher on the DL I did not have a backup first baseman so I called up Daric Barton as my backup C/1B. Kendall has done really good for my #8 hitter, I would like more power at the posistion but what can you do. I am thinking of making a trade to the Marlins for there reserve catcher Josh Willingham.

Infield:

infield2.jpg

Dan Johnson has been the most consistant player in the infield, though his defense makes him more of a DH, his offense has been carrying the offense and makes up for his poor glove. He has been doing a great job in the #3 spot by getting on base for cleanup hitter Frank Thomas.

Mark Ellis has shown some pop in his bat and has been a walking machine in the 9th spot in the order giving the top of the lineup a baserunner when they come to the plate. Ellis has also played stellar defense.

Eric Chavez has shown off his Gold Glove skills but started off the season a little cold at the plate. In the past few games Chavez has started to heat up.

Bobby Crosby batting 7th has a great BA, but has not taken enough walks and has shown no pop in his bat. He has played average defense, hopefully he can turn it around.

Outfield:

outfield.jpg

With the early season injury of Nick Swisher, Bobby Kielty has shown amazing power at the plate. He has filled in very well and could become a high priced trading ticket when Swisher comes back. Kielty has also been excelent in LF making the A's pitching very happy.

Mark Kotsay has been over the .400 mark all season up until last game when he went 0-5, but still carries a very nice BA just below .400, him getting on base so often has been giving the meat of the order alot of RBI chances. He also has a few OF assists with his great arm in center.

In right Milton Bradley has done very well in RF and in the #2 spot in the order. He was not taking alot of pitches early on but changed that in the last game with a 3 BB game.

DH:

Thomas.jpg

Frank Thomas started the season a bit slow but has just recently tore the cover off the ball. He is doing a great job in the #4 spot, knocking HR's, taking many walks, and driving in the runners on base.

Bench:

?action=view&current=bench.jpg

The bench has not really played a role with the A's as of yet. Most of the action comes in blow out games. The only player on the bench that has played regularly is Rickey Henderson who has pinch ran for Frank Thomas in the 7th inning or later. Henderson only has 2 at bats but has scored 5 runs and has 3 stolen bases. Daric Barton so far has 2 starts thsi season, he has filled in for Jason Kendall when he tires. Barton has not been great at the plate, but has shown that he has great plate disapline.

Starting Pitching:

startingpitching.jpg

Other than Rich Harden, the pitching staff has been horrible. If it was not for the strong offense it would be possible that the A's could be in last place. If Loaiza does not have a decent start in his next game it is very likely that he will lose his spot to Joe Kennedy who has excelled in the long relief role. Zito has given up too many runs but had a 10 K game against Seattle and a 9 K game against Minnesota.

Relief Pitching:

reliefpitchers.jpg

The long relief pitchers (Kennedy & Saarloos) have done a great job at keeping the A's in ball games, Kennedy is working his way into the rotation. Oakland has not been using Huston Street as the prototypical closer, but as a pitcher who will come into game saving situations. If there is a threat in the 7th Street will come in to "save" the game. The A's figure they should use there best pitcher in the toughest situation insted of using him in a easy situation with no runners on, no outs in the top or bottom of the 9th.

Zito + Haren + Loaiza = ouch. I love following people who do the A's because I do them for my dynasty and I can compare them. I also love having Melhuse as a backup, maybe because he's a switch hitter plus I feel the most comfortable having as many left handed hitters in the lineup as possible. I can definitely say you're right about them looking like WS contender one game and AAA the next. What difficulty are you playing on?

Zito + Haren + Loaiza = ouch. I love following people who do the A's because I do them for my dynasty and I can compare them. I also love having Melhuse as a backup, maybe because he's a switch hitter plus I feel the most comfortable having as many left handed hitters in the lineup as possible. I can definitely say you're right about them looking like WS contender one game and AAA the next. What difficulty are you playing on?

I am playing on AllStar..... with sliders.... I just played a couple of games, Ill post some screens in a bit.... Chavez got hot and has 2 HR's the past 2 games.

Archived