nVidia issues ... ?

Laloosh

I've got an nVidia FX-5500 256 MB video card (actually, it's an EVGA) with the 81.98 drivers, and I've been having problems with MVP 06. I first tried the ILF download, and the game would freeze, or my PC would randomly reboot. I turned off that setting (the auto reboot) and uninstalled the game. PC worked fine.

So last night I decided to try again. Reinstalled MVP 05, but this time went for the LL download. Everything was fine, played a few rounds of HR Showdown, quit out of MVP.

Got up this morning and had a BSOD with the IRQL_DRIVER_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error. Anybody else had this problem?

I've had some BSOD's related to my Nvidia Drivers...restarting in Safe Mode then restarting normally usually solves it. Occasionally the driver needs to be reinstalled.

I don't recall any issues specifically with MVP 2005 though.

From what I've gleaned from other forums, this is a driver issue. I ran Driver Cleaner Pro and re-installed an older driver. Haven't had a chance to try the game yet, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed (and I'll post here with the results).

Cubsfan: that issue isn't unique to our video card. But yes, I do get stuttering (that's an issue for another day). You can search the forums to find a (potential) fix for it. Also try spitoon's suggestion--I believe you want AA and AF at 4X.

The problem may related with conflict with a shared IRQ. The IRQ of the videocard may be in conflict with other hardware on your computer (soundcard for example).

Try the following: Remove any PCI card from the slots and only leave the videocard (I'm guessing that you have a soundblaster soundcard, maybe a modem). Do not remove hardware like RAID card if your main hard disks are attach to it.

Turn on the computer and run the game. If the game works OK then start to add the removed cards one by one. Turning the computer on each time.

The problem may dissapear if the IRQ is reassign with the relocation of the cards.

If not, next step is to verify two other things:

1. Power Supplier is not delivering enough power. Ensure at least you have a 350W.

2. Overall Temperature inside the case. Make sure you have a good air flow inside it, specially around the videocard.

If none of this things are working maybe it's time to upgrade your motherboard and/or CPU.

Let me know what you have inside your PC.

Here's my system:

Intel Pentium 4, 2.0 GHz

Intel Rexburg D845GRG Motherboard

Intel Brookdale-G i845G Chipset

512 MB (DDR SDRAM)

GeForce FX 5500 (256 MB)

Creative SB Live! Sound Card

Antec SmartPower 2.0 400W PSU

I think my video card is sharing an IRQ (believe I saw it in BIOS). And when I run Everest, my temp. readings are 37-40 C.

Before I left for work this morning, I uninstalled my video card driver, used Driver Cleaner Pro to clear out all the old drivers (from 2 previous video cards) and reinstalled an older driver. Haven't had a chance to test the game yet, though. I'll do it tonight and post the results here.

Everything looks OK. Temp is OK Too.

Your motherboard has onboard video.

Check on the manual if the mobo has a jumper that disable the onboard video and turn it off.

Also check if the game runs OK with the onboard video. remove the videocard and install the motherboard video driver.

OK, so I played the game for a little bit, shut it down, and left the PC. Just went back and had another BSOD, but this time it was a MEMORY_MANAGEMENT error.

Does this mean I have some bad memory, or just not enough?

Archived