Pickoff Throws

fpotus75

Ok using the PC version with a Gravis Dual Control, or whatever the name of the actualy controller is, I can't think of it right now, does anyone know how to have the catcher throw a pickoff throw after a pitch is completed. Not when a runner is stealing but say a runner takes too much of a lead off and you wanna try to gun him down after you've completed a pitch. I've seen the computer try this move at least a dozen times, but nowhere does it tell you how to do this as a human player. I would seriously appreciate any help as it bugs the hell out of me that the comp can do it but I can't especially since the comp hardly ever steals and I have catchers with throwing ratings in the 90s, it's a waste of my salary to have a catcher that good and not be able to use him defensively.

Yeah, it's not all that great, but it works against a human opponent sometimes. Never works against the computer.

I have to disagree. I have quite a few pitchout that result in pickoffs on steal attemps vs the CPU. About 10% of my pickoffs are from a pitchout.

I only use it on runners on 1st base.

This is how I use it:

I check who is on 1st base, his speed etc.. (anything over 80 is a threat).

I will pitchout according to the strike count, or usualy on the 2nd or 3rd pitch.

On the 2nd-3rd pitch, with such a runner on 1st (and snepp's steal mod) the cpu will usualy try to steal.

I pitch out...the catcher throws a beaner to 2nd and blamo! picked off.

Just my tip.

since the comp hardly ever steals and I have catchers with throwing ratings in the 90s, it's a waste of my salary to have a catcher that good and not be able to use him defensively.

Get snepp's steal mod, and you won't ever say that the CPU never steals :D Probably the most important MVP tweak to hit the game this year.... no bs

Snepps Steal Tune

pitching out to throw a runner out at second is a lot different than trying to catch a guy sleeping on first when he's not stealing. Thats what the original poster was talking about, catching the guy as he's going back to first.

On another note, even with the steal mod...no one ever steals, even with the steal rate at +50, i don't know whats different in my game :(

pitching out to throw a runner out at second is a lot different than trying to catch a guy sleeping on first when he's not stealing

The only way I know to do a snap throw back to first (with the catcher) is to throw a pitch out. You know something I don't?

pitching out to throw a runner out at second is a lot different than trying to catch a guy sleeping on first when he's not stealing. Thats what the original poster was talking about, catching the guy as he's going back to first.

hmmm....maybe I need to quote him exactly? but anyway it's the same thing dude :D

does anyone know how to have the catcher throw a pickoff throw after a pitch is completed.

That's to quote him exactly.

When a catcher (not the pitcher) attempts a pick off, wether or not the 1st baseman is sleeping or trying for 2nd, it's usualy as a result of a

pitch-out. When it's not, it's the same principle as mentioned above.

I've seen the computer try this move at least a dozen times, but nowhere does it tell you how to do this as a human player.

For that part of the question :"how to make a pitchout & a pickoff attempt from the catcher", it is indicated in the game but here's a refresher: simply hold the left trigger button and press what equates to your normal fast ball (or 4-seamer) or button 1 on most gamepads. You don't even need to assign a special button for a pitch out. If you hold the left trigger and button 1, your pitcher will do a pitch out. Then just use your catcher to gun the ball to whichever base you choose.

i really don't understand how throwing a guy out at second can be the same as throwing a guy out as he's going back to first..call me crazy....

you don't need to throw a pitchout to get a guy out at second if he's stealing, but you have to throw one to pick a guy off at first, but its whatever :)

i really don't understand how throwing a guy out at second can be the same as throwing a guy out as he's going back to first..call me crazy....

you don't need to throw a pitchout to get a guy out at second if he's stealing, but you have to throw one to pick a guy off at first, but its whatever :)

hey, don't think i'm just trying to correct you or anything, but it's the exact opposite lol.

when a guy is at first, you don't have to pitch out to pick him off if he's just standing with a leadoff at first.. The pitcher can pick him off, with a standard pickoff move. No picth-out needed :D

But if he's going on a pitch (from 1st to 2nd), you can get him with a pitch out (which has a good success rate in that case).

The pitcher cannot pick him off on a steal attempt (since he's tossing the pitch to the catcher...) but the catcher can do a standard pick-off throw to 2nd after catching the ball, from a pitch-out or a standard pitch.

Again, not trying to make an issue of it, I think you get it.

You need to be clear on what a pitch out is..heh

Yes but if you pitch out and a guy is stealing and you catch him, that really isn't a pickoff, its a caught stealing.

He understands that you can throw over to first as the pitcher to try and pick him off, but you oughta be able to throw a normal pitch and have the catcher make a snap throw to 1st to catch a runner who isn't paying attention. It's done in real life. If you had caught him there, even without a pitchout, THAT is a pickoff.

If the guy runs for second, and the ball is thrown from pitcher to catcher and then to 2nd, it's not a pickoff. It's a caught stealing. The pitch is being recorded as a ball, so there is nothing different about it.

I felt someone needed to second the opinion of Kendammit, because it is the correct one.

He understands that you can throw over to first as the pitcher to try and pick him off, but you oughta be able to throw a normal pitch and have the catcher make a snap throw to 1st to catch a runner who isn't paying attention.

That is correct, the only way for the catcher to do a snap throw is on a pitch out or one down in the dirt. Even then it's not really a snap throw, b/c the catcher takes so long in preparing the throw. Another one of EA's unfinished blemishes.

to try and pick him off, but you oughta be able to throw a normal pitch and have the catcher make a snap throw to 1st to catch a runner who isn't paying attention. It's done in real life. If you had caught him there, even without a pitchout, THAT is a pickoff.

...we all know that, but you can't do it as a human player in this MVP2004.

So pointing it out doesn't do much good here.

If you throw a strike to your catcher or a ball or whatever and it's not a pitchout, your catcher won't pick off the guy on 1st napping.. just not programmed in the game. I don't think i've seen the cpu's catcher pick me off napping on 1st either...and I play on MVP...

but anyway... I think we answered that guy's question...

Hmmm... I know you cant do a snap throw without a picthout as a human player.

Unless I am mistaken, I have never seen the CPU do it either without a pitchout.

In addition, if you don't have snepp's steal mod, it's an absolute MUST to get and use.

I have it installed and have CPU Steal Rate set to -25 (i play on All Star).

I find it perfect. The Cpu will steal with their fast runners on different counts, but their slower runners will wait for a good count to run on, if they run at all. VERY realistic.

In addition, if you don't have snepp's steal mod, it's an absolute MUST to get and use.

I have it installed and have CPU Steal Rate set to -25 (i play on All Star).

I find it perfect. The Cpu will steal with their fast runners on different counts, but their slower runners will wait for a good count to run on, if they run at all. VERY realistic.

Yeah, with all the raves about this, I am going to have to check it out.

just for clarification, I didn't mean that the only way to pick a guy off at first is by throwing a pitchout. I know that the pitcher can do it, but when someone is stealing, that is not a pickoff, thats being caught stealing.

the ONLY way to make a pickoff attempt with a catcher is to throw a pitchout or when the ball hits the dirt. There is no other way to PICK SOMEONE OFF. If a runner is stealing, all you have to do is throw to the correct base fast enough. Thats catching someone stealing, not picking them off. Secondly, you don't pick a guy off if he is attempting a steal, you caught him stealing. Pick-offs are when you catch a runner at the base he was already on, caught stealing is when the runner is trying to advance on a pitch.

Mutombo echoed everything i was saying, and yes there SHOULD be a way to throw a normal pitch and then throw to first with the catcher. There should also be snap throws when doing this, not a normal throw.

Anyway, there you have it, and to answer the question again, the only way to pick someone off with a catcher is to throw a pitchout, or the ball hits the dirt.

Just as a note, even on the pro level, the CPU will try to do this to you.

Archived