computer wont turn on

fush12

ive had a cd drive sitting in my computer for the longest time not hooked up because i just bought a new DVD drive and didnt have time to hook that one up as well...well i had the day off today and decided to hook it up...i shut down my computer and then unplugged everything so i could put the computer on my table...well i got the drive hooked up and then put all the cables back in and then when to turn on my computer again and...NOTHING...so i unhooked everything again and still...NOTHING...anyone know what I could've done...im sure its gonna be the power supply but what the hell happened???

Well it could be a few things, none of which are good. If you are getting no power at all you may have disconnected the wire from your power supply to your hard drive or mother board. (I'm guessing you opened up your computor to install the DVD drive) You may have also gotten the on button jammed or stuck when putting the case back on the computor. Worst of all, you may are shorted out your hard drive or mother board. This happens when you don't let your computor sit a few hours after unplugging it, before you open it up. Static electricty builds up and if you don't leave enough time for it to discharge slowly before working you can end up frying something, (possibly yourself). If you have power, but nothing is happening, you somehow changed the Boot order of your computor. Instead of it looking to your C drive to boot up, it trys looking to the drive of the newly installed DVD drive. Finding no operating system there, it can't go any further. Odds are good though, that you disconnected the power supply wire to your hard drive or mother board.

Well, that's the best I can do,.. Good Luck.

ok first of all...i checked all the cables and all of them are connected

2nd of all...the button is not jammed...the button is just fine

3rd....it may be the motherboard or harddrive...but how do i tell which one it is and what can i do about it

If you get no power what so ever, then it's your power supply unit. Replace that.

If you get the bios screen, (black screen and white letters), then it goes blank, then its your hard drive. A good cpu tech can import all of your data from the damaged hard drive to a new hard drive.

If you get power but the screen is blank, nothing, then it's your motherboard. Replacing that may cost alittle less then buying a whole new computor, it can be alot cheaper depending on who you know.

These are the best guesses I can make without actually seeing your computor.

hey i really appreciate your help...well i am pretty sure it is my power supply because i am getting absolutely nothing...no screens what so ever...but i just have one more question...when i do plug in the cord to the back of the CPU it makes just a little humming noise in the back...i thought it always did that but maybe not...also...can i just buy any power supply or are there different sizes for different systems??

i worked on a computer a while back that did the same thing that happend to you ,you may have to reset the bios ,by the jumper ..your manual should tell you which one and depending on your hardrive,,most partioners that come with them have a transfer files to new disk option...

ps =don`t leave jumper on clear bios or it won`t boot....and most power supplies now are atx ,try to get the most watts you can afford if you have to get one...

...and most power supplies now are atx ,try to get the most watts you can afford if you have to get one...

I've an objection to this approach: getting a new power supply is far more than about the number of watts they have. There are more considerations:

- Weight (heavier ones tend to be better made)

- Rail voltages

- Price (be extremely careful about the cheaper power supplies)

There are plenty of guides on the Internet that delve into more details about what to look for in a power supply. A poorly made and cheap power supply could crap out in a year or two or worse, they could take one's system down with it.

getting a new power supply is far more than about the number of watts they have. There are more considerations:

I agree with klon122. If you can get on the internet, check to see what power suppy came with your computor and try to get one that closely matches that one. Your motherboard or other componets in the computor may not be able to handle higher watts. Also be very careful if you order one online. The cheap ones are usually grey market knock-offs that aren't built for US computors. It's best to spend alittle more and get a good reliable one at a tech store around you. If you have to order online, only buy from known companies.

thanks a lot for the help guys...i was going to order one off the internet but i decided im just going to go to our local computer business and buy one from them...that way i know i am buying the right one for my system..i will keep you updated...thanks again guys!!!

hey guys...so i went to my local computer business today and got a new power supply...i got everything hooked up to what i believe is right but now all i got is a black screen....any help guys??? u think i got some wires hooked up wrong?? i am going to recheck everything but in the mean time any help is awesome...thanks

well i got my power supply replaced and now i am having problems with my sound card after replacing that...when i go to my sound properties it says there is no audio device and when i click on hardware it says that i have my Soundmax Intergrated Digital audio driver installed and everything but then at the bottom under Device Status it says..."This Device Cannot Start" (Code 10)......anyone have a clue how to fix this?

I'm guessing you've already reinstalled the drivers, if not try doing that. If that doesn't work, try uninstalling the sound card in the device manager window then re-installing it. If that doesn't work, you may need a new sound card. The power supply may have burnt out the sound card when it failed. On the bright side, the power supply could have fried your video card or mother board when it failed.

• 1 month later...

Archived