Direct IP probs

Reginator

I'm new to playing this over direct ip, and a friend and I are trying to get this to work. We connect just fine, but what happens on my screen doesnt necessarily happen on his screen.

We've tried using clean install, and each patch all the way 1 through 5, and still the same problem. Any ideas as to what the problem would be? It seems like we're losing packets in gameplay, and thus not all the movements are transferred from one to another.

We both have cable internet, no firewalls, and live within 150 miles of each other.

from my experience and this happened with my friend too. you both need to have the same datafiles whatever it may be. if you're using one and your friend's not... he might hit a inside-the-parker cause it looked liek you were just holding the ball in the OF doing nothing. while on your screen it might look like you got him at 3rd or something. so make sure your datafiles are the same.

What kind of hardware are you guys using to connect? If you're able to connect initially, I would kind of doubt it's a port issue, but there could be some interferance on the part of your internet hardware and software.

Whichever of you is hosting, make sure you have opened the correct ports. Also, are either of you running some sort of non-Windows firewall like Zone Alarm? If so, I'd try to disable it and run the game and see if that's it.

Good Luck

We were using identical copies when trying to connect. We both started with fresh installs and tried connecting with that, then as we ran into the game sync problems, we would both upgrade to the next available patch level.

As far as connection hardware, I'm running in the DMZ of my router, a d-link. He's behind a linksys router. I've always been the one hosting.

Instead of running on the DMZ, have you tried using the "Virtual Server" feature in your D-Link Router?

I don't see a problem with using DMZ, but just from my experience, I've had smooth-sailing using this other feature.

Also, if you're the one hosting, I don't think the issue is on your friend's end - in regards to the hardware anyway.

Archived