Please help to fix stuttering.

Gagnon39

I've been trying for weeks to get MVP to run smoothly but I just can't fix the stuttering problem. Let me say that the stuttering in my game is by no means unplayable but there is a definate difference in the fielding (throwing accross the infield) and during pitching and hitting. I've played the game with everything turned down/off (player models low, no crowd, etc.) and the game ran smooth as silk so I know its not just me thinking that there is stuttering.

Here's my system...

Compaq Presario

AMD Athlon XP +3200

2.2 GHz Processor

512 MB RAM

8X DVD +R/RW

Nvidia GeForce 6200 128 MB DDR AGP

I'm going to try doubling my RAM today so maybe that will fix it. If not I don't know what else to do. I don't really know an awful lot about processors. Is mine a good processor? I don't understand what the +3200 represents.

Thanks for any help.

In order:

1. re-install MVP2005

2. install EA patch 3

3. check game for stutter

4. install MVP06 mod, if you want

5. check game for stutter

6. if stutter still present, search for and install Kraw's 06test2 patch which will address stutter if caused by the mod.

First, adust your Windows Virtual Memory from "let windows manage" to manually imputting the numbers. You want the same number on the low end AND the high end for the swap file. That way your computer doesnt keep resizing it and you want to go on the high end as long as you have plenty of hard drive space since Windows uses the hard drive for that.

I have 512 Megs RAM too and my settings are 4096 for the low end and the high end on the Virtual Memory setting. Make sure you hit OK and then you will have to reboot for it to take effect. This alone really helped the panning in my sports games like MVP and Tiger Woods. They are now butter smooth.

After rebooting, try pressing Cntrl-Alt-Delete to access yoiur Windows Task Manager, then press the Processes tab, then click on User name. All the entries of programs running behind the scenes that you can delete will be under your name. Click on those and hit End Process one at a time. Be careful though because some you cannot End the Process, such at your Video card stuff, explorer, and maybe your firewall/virus too.

The first step above will be permanent until you make another adjustment to your Virtual Memory. The second you will have to do every time you boot up your computer.

I'm sorry but I don't know what you mean with the low end and high end. I've tried reinstalling the game, uploading EA's patches (#3 and then #5). It helps some but doesn't stop the stuttering completely. I have my video cart set to let it detect AA and AF (which it turns off I believe; at least its greyed out on off from what I can tell).

OK, I'm starting to get seriously angry. What the crap do I need to stop this stuttering, its so annoying! I doubled my RAM, I now have 1.00 GB of RAM and I boot the game up and throw from 3rd to first and, ugh, uh, ugh uh uh, all the way over. God bless! I've tried everything. It seems like there are people on this forum using systems not quite as fast as me and they don't have the problem. I just wish I knew how to fix it.

I've re-installed the game, then downloaded EA's official patches.

I've doubled the RAM.

I've messed with my AA and AF to no end.

I've done everything I know how to do and this thing just won't run smoothly. I guess I'm spoiled on the XBOX version, which never, ever stutters at all.

I know I mentioned this before, but if you have the MVP06 mod installed, use Kraw's 06test2 patch. Also, have you installed any of the uniform mods or the models.big files from this site? If so, try going back to the original uniforms/models.big.

Good luck,

Pat

I'm not sure about what exactly you mean as in where my graphics card is set. I have it set for the system to automatically dictate what settings to use with my AA and AF as well as VSYNC. I've played around with it every which way but to no avail. I set everything on as high as it could go and everything as low as it could go but still stuttering is noticable. I have it running at 60MHz.

As for the downloads I do have KC's uniform pack uploaded and Trues Wrigley Field. But I do not have ILF or LL installed.

Thanks again for any help. I swear to God I would pay someone $200 if they could come fix this freaking thing at my house, LOL. That's how bad I want this game to work. I just refuse to not have a baseball game for an entire year. 2K6 sucks sooooo bad.

I don't know about the stadium, but I know uniforms have a tendency to cause stutter on some PC's, including mine. You can do 2 things, replace KC's uni's with the originals. Or, you can try downloading & installing BigSchmooz Umachines models.big, which is in the rosters download section. The uni's aren't quite as high end as KC's, but they're better than the originals and are less likely to cause stutter. The Umachines still may cause a little stutter, but it's very playable on my PC, at least.

Good luck,

Pat

EDIT: You'll probably need to use one of the rosters on this site, SwinginSoriano's or Ult.Rosters PLus, with the Umachines unis.

OK I tried a different video card today and still the same results...

an ATI Radeon X1600 PRO AGP 512 MB DDR2 and I had also doubled the RAM to 1 GIG. I'm convinced that there is just no hope to get this thing "perfect" for me. Oh well, I'll be waiting for PS3's MLB 07.

What driver version are you using for the Nivida card?

For starters you need to download the latest version from Nividas website.

Then uninstall the driver you are using now through windows control panel add remove programs.

Download a program from 3d guru called driver cleaner.

Now after you remove the old driver you should reboot into safe-mode then run driver cleaner.....

After that install the new driver while still in safe mode then reboot as normal.

Then upon reboot leave all settings where they are for now except for vertical sync.......set that to application controlled.

Then start game and in the options menu make sure vertical sync is ON.

Try game and see what happens........

We can then move forward from here.

Do not change any other settings or overclock the card in any way

When I installed the video card I used the latest drivers from the internet to begin with. I never used the drivers off of the CD in the first place. As for cleaning out old drivers, I'm not sure how to find/delete them. Again, i don't think I have old drivers on my system since I downloaded them from the website. I looked into the virtual memory, do you think that could have anything to do with it? Thanks again for your help, even if it goes no where I appreciate it.

I wish I could help you with your stuttering, Gagnon, but the guys on this board know an immense amount about MVP and how to get it to run effectively. Follow their advice and you should be fine. Better than fine, I'd say. I apologize if my own query seems to take away from your concerns, I just figured it'd be better to put it in here than start my own thread.

As for the reason that I'm writing, well that has to do with my asking Sidewinder a technical question. I myself have had to deal with some moderate stuttering issues and using your earlier advice (adjusting the virtual memory so that the low number and the high number on the swap file are the same) has smoothened my game out considerably. However, I'm wondering if there's a way to calculate what the optimal number should be?

I ask because I'm currently using your setting of 4096 and while it's pretty damn good, might there be an even better one for my system? If it helps any, I'm running the game on a system with an Athlon AMD 1.4 ghz processor and 512 MB of RAM. What's more, within my own virtual memory panel I'm told that I have 14,175 MB of space available on the hard-drive on which I run the game (what can I say, I have a lot of music). Considering all of this, what do you think I should put the number on the swap file as? Should it be somewhat lower or somewhat higher even? Any advice at all?

My thanks to anyone (not just Sidewinder) who can help me with this. And thanks for these boards and this site all together. It truly is a pleasure to see the community that's developed over this game.

Archived