Removing the mistake pitch indicator?

Knuckleball Lover

I'm fooling with getting pitchers to be more wild (I made some instant wildness by making the exponent on that 3rd big nasty number for the GoodAccuracyXlat from E-002 to E-001 and lowering it to -4.8) and I'm seeing a ton of mistake pitches now, scored 11 runs on 15 hits (although I probably need to lower the user sliders) and drew 4 walks (probably could have had more if I ever learn to judge the high and low parts of the zone consistantly). Pitching for me was harder too, made more mistakes than I can remember but the CPU hitters didn't kill them (which I need to fix so I can get some high scoring affairs out there).

But, anyway, I was wondering if there was a way to remove the indicator on mistake pitches (and if doing so will stop the CPU from always - well almost always - swinging at them?)?

BTW here's my changes to the GoodAccuracyXlat and ControlAffect numbers if you want to try them.

<batterpitcher> section

122 0.900

133 2#0.000000e+000,0.000000e+000,-4.857144e-001#1.000000e+000,3.000000e-001,-4.857144e-001

I'm not sure that turning off the mistake pitch indicator would affect the CPU, but it is possible to do. There are a couple of ways. I know that the pitcher control mod outlined a process to remove it but I think that was by replacing the graphic with a blank.

I don't know that it would affect the CPU hitters at all though. They probably "know" it's a mistake pitch because of the back end math. I don't know that you could change that.

I wish they'd kill mistake pitches more and miss good pitches more. Otherwise it gets out of control and they're hitting everything.

There's still not enough foul balls either. I thought I'd found something last night because the second batter castillo fouled off 3 straight pitches in different directions but the effect stopped right after that. :roll:

-Nick

I'm not sure that turning off the mistake pitch indicator would affect the CPU, but it is possible to do. There are a couple of ways. I know that the pitcher control mod outlined a process to remove it but I think that was by replacing the graphic with a blank.

I don't know that it would affect the CPU hitters at all though. They probably "know" it's a mistake pitch because of the back end math. I don't know that you could change that.

I wish they'd kill mistake pitches more and miss good pitches more. Otherwise it gets out of control and they're hitting everything.

There's still not enough foul balls either. I thought I'd found something last night because the second batter castillo fouled off 3 straight pitches in different directions but the effect stopped right after that. :roll:

-Nick

I would imagine that you are right, we can remove the markers visually, which works for the human batter, but I'm sure the computer would still 'see' them as mistake pitches...if only there were a way to make mistake pitches go for balls more often...not all the time, but more often than they do now....

I still think that shrinking the strike zone would help out, I've spent a lot of time going over the datafile and can't find anything to do with the strikezone, also looked in igonly.big etc...

I would imagine that you are right, we can remove the markers visually, which works for the human batter, but I'm sure the computer would still 'see' them as mistake pitches...if only there were a way to make mistake pitches go for balls more often...not all the time, but more often than they do now....

I still think that shrinking the strike zone would help out, I've spent a lot of time going over the datafile and can't find anything to do with the strikezone, also looked in igonly.big etc...

Yeah, I too have dug through the spreadsheet and the file itself trying to find ways to address the issues I'm seeing. I just haven't come up with anything legit. Perhaps I'm not understanding the descriptions and they're correlating #'s well enough. Then only thing that seems to be laid out logically is the stealtune section of the datafile.

I love that they seem to have a much more in depth tunefile than the one HH offered, but if they could make it a little less confusing it would be wonderful.

-Nick

I've wondered just how it's determined where the mistake will go. Sometimes I see mistakes that are *barely* balls, while other times they end up in the middle of the plate or on the edges but show the indicator on what looks like a pitch in a good location.

If won't likely work on the CPU batter, then I'll leave it for now. I've been playing with that ContactQuality setting to see just what it does. I'm using 0.70, but that doesn't seem to be giving me more swings/misses or foul balls.

I, too, would like to get many more foul balls out there. I wonder if there's a setting that alters how wide the contact window is. If things work like on those hitting tutorial videos then shrinking up that 'green zone' would maybe be a start to getting foul balls and more mis-hits on pitches by the CPU hitter.

Oh, and is there a setting to increase the chances of a hitter swinging out of the zone? Seems like no matter the hitter, unless the pitch is an inch out of the zone, they won't swing at it, although real hitters do chase out of the zone, especially with 2 strikes. That might also help the foul ball situation too.

I've wondered just how it's determined where the mistake will go. Sometimes I see mistakes that are *barely* balls, while other times they end up in the middle of the plate or on the edges but show the indicator on what looks like a pitch in a good location.

If won't likely work on the CPU batter, then I'll leave it for now. I've been playing with that ContactQuality setting to see just what it does. I'm using 0.70, but that doesn't seem to be giving me more swings/misses or foul balls.

I, too, would like to get many more foul balls out there. I wonder if there's a setting that alters how wide the contact window is. If things work like on those hitting tutorial videos then shrinking up that 'green zone' would maybe be a start to getting foul balls and more mis-hits on pitches by the CPU hitter.

Oh, and is there a setting to increase the chances of a hitter swinging out of the zone? Seems like no matter the hitter, unless the pitch is an inch out of the zone, they won't swing at it, although real hitters do chase out of the zone, especially with 2 strikes. That might also help the foul ball situation too.

turn the contact to -25 and see what you think. I think that it works very well.

Archived