DVD Burning Issues...

..I'm trying to burn video files into a blank DVD-R discs, using DivX because they support .avi files. Well this happens alot to my DVD-R discs, it says that the disc isn't empty.

My drivers are running properly. Anybody know what's causing this? Should I get new discs or what?

taiyo- yuden are the best dvd +/- r's you can buy for future reference.

i havent found too much difference between a +r or -r as far as burns go. i rarely lose a disk. before - r's were more popular because they were supported by most standalone players than +r. nowadays newer dvd players play almost all formats.

fyi- the average life of a pc dvd burner is around 1000 burns...

really!?! you would think it would be able to do alot more

yep good thing you can pick one up now for around $40-$50 i remember when they first came out a few years back and they were right around $500!

1000 burns is a lot though. i do about 10 burns a week (i'm a movie fanatic) so figure a $40 lite-on dvd burner will last around 2 years. i recommend having a seperate cd burner and dvd burner to save on wear and tear. although in 2 years the cd may well be obsoloete. i only recommend lite-on drives also.

remember one other thing there's only a few dvd burner manufacturers (lite-on is one of them). the other companies just buy the drives from them and put their logo on them. so lets say you want to buy a sony dvd burner but it's $10 more than say a lite-on. well guess what? it's the same drive! only difference is sony bought the drive from lite-on and put their sony logo on it.

Archived