Fenway Night v2.0 Progress Update

ezorn33

To those that are wondering, I started work on the night version of Fenway v2.0 last night, and it will be quicker than I expected. Though I do have to redo all the changes I made, I realized that it was possible to get the X,Y,Z coordinates for each vertex on the day version, then simply assign them to the appropriate vertex in the night version. I should be able to replicate everything I did pretty easily -- I've already done a fair amount of it.

I also plan to fix up both versions for this release, which will likely be my last. Please let me know if you can think of something to add to the following list:

-- Add skyline (Pru, John Hancock)

-- Replace Budweiser ads along third baseline with "GameTime" ads

-- Replace rotating ads for the night version (for instance, I plan on using Home Depot behind the plate for the night version, but either Hankook Tires or Lumber Liquidators during the day, though I am open to other suggestions if people prefer another ad there, as long as it's really there).

-- Add signs to the facade along the first base line.

-- Add Fleet MPH meter along first base line (if I can get it looking good).

-- Fix up wall textures; perhaps lighten the walls during the day.

-- Lessen the strength of the shadow during the day.

-- Fix Volvo ad near home plate.

-- Lower CF scoreboard and move it a bit to the left.

Anything else?

I wouldn't have brought this up because it doesn't matter to me in terms of detracting at all from your great work. But, thought you'd want to know.

I played a game at Fenway this morning and noticed that the Budweiser sign along the third base wall disappeared and reappeared at times. Like the third baseman was going after a foul ball and all of a sudden the Bud sign disappeared and then reappeared. Happened a couple of times.

Great work though.

hey ezorn how did u convert the day vertices to night? I tried to pack the day ord and orl files into the night version, as well as the ads file. i worked perfectly except for 3 areas showed up "missing textures" so last night is started making each individual change. cringing every minute cause i know how much work this is going to take. let me know if u kow how to get rid of the missing textures.

Progress update 5/1:

Add skyline (Pru, John Hancock)

-- Still looking for a good picture.

Replace Budweiser ads along third baseline with "GameTime" ads

-- Done (though I need to fix the placement a bit, obviously):

gametime.jpg

Compare with:

1082245207_7876.jpg

Replace rotating ads for the night version (for instance, I plan on using Home Depot behind the plate for the night version, but either Hankook Tires or Lumber Liquidators during the day, though I am open to other suggestions if people prefer another ad there, as long as it's really there).

-- Done; the real Sox fans out there will recognize the new ad in the first pic, which has appeared in the top of the first inning in every home game so far this year:

hankook.jpg

scoreboard.jpg

Add signs to the facade along the first base line. Add Fleet MPH meter along first base line (if I can get it looking good).

-- Done (with some minor placement fixes remaining):

first.jpg

Fix up wall textures; perhaps lighten the walls during the day.

-- Not done.

Lessen the strength of the shadow during the day.

-- Done, though I'm not convinced this had any real effect.

Fix Volvo ad near home plate.

-- Done.

Lower CF scoreboard and move it a bit to the left.

-- Done.

Now, I still need to transfer most of the new stuff to the night version and fix a few things up. Plus, because I've noticed some changes to the park this year (for instance, the Lids sign has become a Boston.com sign, and the Beth Israel Deaconess blue sign is now something in red that I can't make out in the pictures), I'm going to hold off on uploading my final version until the Sox play at home again next weekend. At that time I'll make sure that everything is right, figure out the couple of things I can't identify at the moment, then release it. Sorry for the delay -- I know most people wouldn't even notice the stuff I'm fixing, but I'm a perfectionist.

Btw, a bit unrelated but why do they blank out the outfield seats during day games. Last game I saw against the Rays, they opened it up but had people wearing green shirts...

Is it something that distract the players or a reflection of some sort?

To those that are wondering, I started work on the night version of Fenway v2.0 last night, and it will be quicker than I expected. Though I do have to redo all the changes I made, I realized that it was possible to get the X,Y,Z coordinates for each vertex on the day version, then simply assign them to the appropriate vertex in the night version. I should be able to replicate everything I did pretty easily -- I've already done a fair amount of it.

I also plan to fix up both versions for this release, which will likely be my last. Please let me know if you can think of something to add to the following list:

-- Add skyline (Pru, John Hancock)

-- Replace Budweiser ads along third baseline with "GameTime" ads

-- Replace rotating ads for the night version (for instance, I plan on using Home Depot behind the plate for the night version, but either Hankook Tires or Lumber Liquidators during the day, though I am open to other suggestions if people prefer another ad there, as long as it's really there).

-- Add signs to the facade along the first base line.

-- Add Fleet MPH meter along first base line (if I can get it looking good).

-- Fix up wall textures; perhaps lighten the walls during the day.

-- Lessen the strength of the shadow during the day.

-- Fix Volvo ad near home plate.

-- Lower CF scoreboard and move it a bit to the left.

Anything else?

Could you make this for xbox too?

Do any of you Sox fans know where I might find a good (somewhat close-up) night photo of the Pru/Hancock buildings? I've looked briefly in all the usual places and only found small, blurry photos that won't be much help.

Do any of you Sox fans know where I might find a good (somewhat close-up) night photo of the Pru/Hancock buildings? I've looked briefly in all the usual places and only found small, blurry photos that won't be much help.

I might have some usefull photos myself....I'll look them up. I once took a few photos of the Hancock from the Pru.

Also, I have a really interesting book on Boston....there might some good quality photos there too. Lemme scan some for you.

Thanks man! I'm having a heck of a time finding a good one.

Update:

I found a bunch of good Prudential Building night shots with "Go Sox"...I think that'll look AWESOME in-game...

Here is a similar shot -- not the one I'll be using, but I saved that one to my computer and lost the link, and I don't feel like uploading:

gosox2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This one didn't come out too good but I can describe it for you. It is actually "Granite City Electric." It is nothing more than their logo with a red background with a simple font stating "Electric Supply Company" on the top line with "Since 1923" beneath. Here is their web site to grab their logo from and maybe get a better pic.

http://www.granitecityelectric.com/

r.jpg

Archived