Would this be possible?

The_Jerk

I currently own a desktop PC, pretty good one, excellent video card, just about to get more memory installed, and I also just bought a Powerbook G4 laptop last year. It's excellent, it was pretty cheap, and mac os x is awesome.

Now I see that Mac has developed these intel based macs, and programs like Boot Camp will only run on those (I think?). I'm wondering now, is it possible to install/configure it to be Intel based as well. Wouls it be possible to just take it somewhere and have them install something to make it more like these new intel macs that can run XP?

• 2 weeks later...

As I understand it, while you can install XP on the new Intel powered Macs, you can't run both XP and Mac OS at the same time--you have to setup the computer to offer you the choice of one over the other at startup. And, from what I understand, XP runs waaaaaaaaaaaay better on the Mac . . . go figure.

I hope this helps . . . .

I understand what you're saying, but what I needed to know is if its possible to mod my current mac powerbook to run like the new intel based macs.

Don't have a Mac, but I did a quick google(Mac Modding). Might find some info HERE

Another interesting site. Not up yet though: HERE

Thanks for those.

See I already have a copy of Virtual PC, but I don't really know how to use it and get started. Do I have to have an XP install disc? Because everytime I start it up it seems like its asking me to install an OS.

Thanks for those.

See I already have a copy of Virtual PC, but I don't really know how to use it and get started. Do I have to have an XP install disc? Because everytime I start it up it seems like its asking me to install an OS.

Basically you are putting another OS on your machine. Windows. It will not hurt your current MAC OS though. This program just "emulates" the Windows OS on your machine.

This link might help: HERE

Another

I would suggest you read up on Virtual PC man, before you do anything with it. Google some links. Sorry I can't be more help, but info is out there. I'm a Linux man myself. Sounds like this Virtual PC is something like Vmware, which I use. I just keep a copy of XP on my machine for games.

you probably can run xp via virtual pc on your mac. but, i doubt it would make any difference really in what you really want to do. as the above poster mentioned it would only be emulation. for it to run right on bootcamp i would think you would need the intel hardware setup that the new macs have. there may be workarounds for that issue though but, i'm sure xp will still be searching for compatible hardware during the install. and even if you got it installed somehow i would thing it would be pretty buggy. i could be wrong though.

and another thing. if you have an intel pc and the correct hardware/ drivers etc in it,it is now possible to dual boot into newer mac os if you know what you are doing and you can meet the specs.

Archived