Who here knows about codecs?

Darkslide820

Basically got a new PC. Long story short, my uncle and I reformatted my PC, thus erasing anything on it. Now, trying to get my "new" computer started, I have to go through all the basic sh*t; sound didn't work right away, the bottom bar disappeared for a while, internet finally started again (that's the reason we were forced to reboot in the first place, since nothing else made it happen).

Problem is, I pop in my memory stick, try to play the a video of mine, and it says that I need a codec for a .mpg file. Basically what this means is that I won't be able to play anything on the comp that is .mpg until I get this. And all my videos are .mpg. BTW, it's WMP11 beta if that matters.

Anyway, in the options, I have the box checked saying to download codecs automatically. Guess what; no codecs downloaded automatically.

The only other option I can think of is to load up the editing program that I made the files (ie, videos) with. Maybe that program forces the codecs onto the computer.

Thanks to whoever helps.

WMP really at times is limited to what MS thinks you need to play certain files that they consider the average user will try to load.

you can download - XP codec pack it has almost every codec you should need. http://www.xpcodecpack.com/

also try VLC player it has almost every codec included in it. it's free and can play virtually every type of media file. google it.

i do a lot of media and video edits for the job i'm workng on right now. plus it's kind of a hobby so there you go.

Archived