This is so cool - bringing back the memories

paulw

I got an email from the folks at Baseball Reference.com (baseball-reference.com) today and they've added some wonderful features to their site. In conjunction with retrosheet.org they've added full (and absolutely beautiful) box scores all the way back to 1957. What a great way to relive the past. Here's the box from one of my favorite games I was at in 1982 at good old County. Rickey Henderson tied the SB record and the Crew crushed the A's. What a perfect night from my life...

URL: BrewersA'sHenderson

I'm just researching the site a bit and finding tons of stuff that could be used as a reference when re-creating classic teams and seasons. If nothing else...hat's off to these guys! :cool:

O.k. - so here's a more interesting box score. If you saw the movie '61 you've got to remember the scene where Maris was going for his 60th homerun in Baltimore and they brought Hoyt Wilhelm in to face him in his last at bat. I think Cerv says "What's this? They're bringing in Wilhelm" and Elston Howard yells "Bushleaguers". The reality was it was a close game, and Marvelous Marv Throneberry had pinch hit for Hall in the bottom of the 8th. Wilhelm didn't come in just to face Maris - he started the inning. Maris did, as in the movie however, ground out unassisted to Wilhelm. I guess it just added some drama to the movie - IMHO as the one writer (the very irratating one) says it *was* a good move. Anyway, here's the box to see for yourself: URL: Maris goes for 60

O.k. - so here's a more interesting box score. If you saw the movie '61 you've got to remember the scene where Maris was going for his 60th homerun in Baltimore and they brought Hoyt Wilhelm in to face him in his last at bat. I think Cerv says "What's this? They're bringing in Wilhelm" and Elston Howard yells "Bushleaguers". The reality was it was a close game, and Marvelous Marv Throneberry had pinch hit for Hall in the bottom of the 8th. Wilhelm didn't come in just to face Maris - he started the inning. Maris did, as in the movie however, ground out unassisted to Wilhelm. I guess it just added some drama to the movie - IMHO as the one writer (the very irratating one) says it *was* a good move. Anyway, here's the box to see for yourself: URL: Maris goes for 60

Now that was interesting. I didn't realize Ralph Terry was the winning pitcher in that game, going nine innings, allowing one run, 1 walk and 8 K's....very nice line. Ralph is actually a guy I've talked to quite extensively. My mother in law was in his wedding, and he lives not far from me. He attended my brother in law's wedding, and me and Ralph spent a few hours talking baseball.

This guy has some amazing stories, particularly of that 61 team. Also, some great stuff from his last team, the Mets in 68. He also told me how he taught Tug McGraw how to throw a screwball, that was taught to him by Spud Chandler, years earlier.

It was funny, but after about 2 hours, he asked me, "So, when are you gonna ask me?",,,,I said, "Ask you what?",,,,he grinned, and said, "You know what,,,,,Mazeroski's homer in the 60 series",,,,,,I said, "Well, now that you bring it up......" It was a great conversation. I'll never forget it. Thanks for posting this boxscore.

Now that was interesting. I didn't realize Ralph Terry was the winning pitcher in that game, going nine innings, allowing one run, 1 walk and 8 K's....very nice line. Ralph is actually a guy I've talked to quite extensively. My mother in law was in his wedding, and he lives not far from me. He attended my brother in law's wedding, and me and Ralph spent a few hours talking baseball.

This guy has some amazing stories, particularly of that 61 team. Also, some great stuff from his last team, the Mets in 68. He also told me how he taught Tug McGraw how to throw a screwball, that was taught to him by Spud Chandler, years earlier.

It was funny, but after about 2 hours, he asked me, "So, when are you gonna ask me?",,,,I said, "Ask you what?",,,,he grinned, and said, "You know what,,,,,Mazeroski's homer in the 60 series",,,,,,I said, "Well, now that you bring it up......" It was a great conversation. I'll never forget it. Thanks for posting this boxscore.

Man that must of been great to get to talk to Ralph Terry. What a cool experience. Just think of all the info some of the old players have about the game back then that we'd love to know. I'd ask stuff about the players like how fast was Mickey still in 1961, who had the best arm in the outfield, just how truly great Clete Boyer was at third? From everything I've read Boyer in '61 was the best ever of any third baseman at anytime. Can you imagine getting to watch Boyer and Mazeroski in the same game in 1960?

I did ask Terry about hitters he had faced. He said the toughest hitters he ever pitched to was Ted Williams, and he said during spring training, mickey would bat left handed against him, and he said the Mick would just own him.

He told a couple of good Yogi stories, but he ssaid the hick act by Yogi, was really just an act. He said during a game, yogi was probably one of the most intense players he ever played with. He said you didn't shake off Yogi's signs.

I wonder what it was like with Howard behind the plate? Yogi and Elston split a lot of time. I'm guessing Ralph preferred Yogi although Howard was the much better athlete as Yogi got older. I'm sure they have catcher's ERA as a stat available - probably somewhere on Baseball-reference.com. One of things about the '61 Yanks was their incredible pitching stats in Yankee Stadium - I wonder if Yogi got more starts in home games?

Archived