Total Control Pitching

Johnnywadd

There are a lot of topics about the pitching in MLB 2K9. Most people seem to be confused with the classic setup because they have no idea how to use total control. I think the classic setup is borked and have no idea how to use it myself, however the total control is very easy to use once you get the hang of it. So, I'm going to try to explain it to the best of my abilities for those who are stumped. Now mind you, this is no in-depth user guide or what have you. Just a few tips to get you going. Here we go.

#1: First and foremost, use a dual analog controller. If you are trying to use the keyboard or an older controller, I can't help you. I wouldn't know where to start.

#2: Make sure your buttons are mapped properly. There are several topics here about how to do that.

#3: Practice, practice, practice. Before you try a game or you will get beaten like a red-headed stepkid.

#4: Okay, on to game mechanics. Keep in mind I'm using PINPOINT control. If you want to use BREAKPOINT control, it's a lot of extra work. Your catcher is going to do most of the work for you. He's going to tell you where and what pitch to throw. You don't have to take his advice, BUT make sure you shake him off before you throw something else. Whatever the button you have assigned to shake him off, hit it and he will setup somewhere else and call for a different pitch. If you don't shake him off and throw something different, you will get a LOT of passed balls.

AIMING: When you have settled on a pitch, use your LEFT analog stick to move the ball icon over top of the catcher's glove. You don't have to aim it exactly where he sets up, as long as it's in the general area. (If you're using breakpoint control, you have to look at the pitch that is being called and see which direction the arrows are pointing. If the arrows are pointing to 8 o'clock, then you are going to have to aim 2 o'clock of the catcher's mitt to end up where he sets up. The number of arrows indicates the amount of break. 1 being less break, 3 being the most.)

LOADING UP: When you look over to the left of the screen, you will see the pitch highlighted for which the catcher is calling. In the circle you will see an arrow pointing to a 1 and another arrow pointing to a 2. The first arrow is what I call loading up your pitch. Whichever direction the first arrow is pointing, use your RIGHT analog stick and move it there and HOLD until the yellow circle fills up. The more yellow that fills the circle, the stronger and more accurate the pitch.

RELEASE: Once you have filled your yellow circle to the desired amount, you then release the pitch by moving it in the direction of the arrow pointing to the 2. Your pitcher will then throw the ball exactly where you wanted at 100MPH and you will strike out every batter (I wish :p ). Make sure to rotate the stick in the direction it shows. If it's showing a rotation from 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock over the top, do NOT rotate on the bottom. You will get a different pitch if you do this.

EXAMPLES: A 4-seam fastball: The first arrow is pointing down and the second is pointing up. You would pull the RIGHT stick down to 6 o'clock and hold until the yellow circle fills up and then quickly push the stick up to 12 o'clock.

2-seam fastball: The first arrow is pointing up and the second arrow is pointing right. Push the stick up to 12 o'clock, hold and then quickly rotate the stick around the top to the right and stop at 3 o'clock.

Slider: The first arrow points to the right and the second to the left. Push the stick to 3 o'clock, hold and then quickly rotate the stick around the bottom to the left stopping at 9 o'clock.

That's all there is to it. Hope this helps some people. Have fun!!

There are a lot of topics about the pitching in MLB 2K9. Most people seem to be confused with the classic setup because they have no idea how to use total control. I think the classic setup is borked and have no idea how to use it myself, however the total control is very easy to use once you get the hang of it. So, I'm going to try to explain it to the best of my abilities for those who are stumped. Now mind you, this is no in-depth user guide or what have you. Just a few tips to get you going. Here we go.

#1: First and foremost, use a dual analog controller. If you are trying to use the keyboard or an older controller, I can't help you. I wouldn't know where to start.

#2: Make sure your buttons are mapped properly. There are several topics here about how to do that.

#3: Practice, practice, practice. Before you try a game or you will get beaten like a red-headed stepkid.

#4: Okay, on to game mechanics. Keep in mind I'm using PINPOINT control. If you want to use BREAKPOINT control, it's a lot of extra work. Your catcher is going to do most of the work for you. He's going to tell you where and what pitch to throw. You don't have to take his advice, BUT make sure you shake him off before you throw something else. Whatever the button you have assigned to shake him off, hit it and he will setup somewhere else and call for a different pitch. If you don't shake him off and throw something different, you will get a LOT of passed balls.

AIMING: When you have settled on a pitch, use your LEFT analog stick to move the ball icon over top of the catcher's glove. You don't have to aim it exactly where he sets up, as long as it's in the general area. (If you're using breakpoint control, you have to look at the pitch that is being called and see which direction the arrows are pointing. If the arrows are pointing to 8 o'clock, then you are going to have to aim 2 o'clock of the catcher's mitt to end up where he sets up. The number of arrows indicates the amount of break. 1 being less break, 3 being the most.)

LOADING UP: When you look over to the left of the screen, you will see the pitch highlighted for which the catcher is calling. In the circle you will see an arrow pointing to a 1 and another arrow pointing to a 2. The first arrow is what I call loading up your pitch. Whichever direction the first arrow is pointing, use your RIGHT analog stick and move it there and HOLD until the yellow circle fills up. The more yellow that fills the circle, the stronger and more accurate the pitch.

RELEASE: Once you have filled your yellow circle to the desired amount, you then release the pitch by moving it in the direction of the arrow pointing to the 2. Your pitcher will then throw the ball exactly where you wanted at 100MPH and you will strike out every batter (I wish :p ). Make sure to rotate the stick in the direction it shows. If it's showing a rotation from 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock over the top, do NOT rotate on the bottom. You will get a different pitch if you do this.

EXAMPLES: A 4-seam fastball: The first arrow is pointing down and the second is pointing up. You would pull the RIGHT stick down to 6 o'clock and hold until the yellow circle fills up and then quickly push the stick up to 12 o'clock.

2-seam fastball: The first arrow is pointing up and the second arrow is pointing right. Push the stick up to 12 o'clock, hold and then quickly rotate the stick around the top to the right and stop at 3 o'clock.

Slider: The first arrow points to the right and the second to the left. Push the stick to 3 o'clock, hold and then quickly rotate the stick around the bottom to the left stopping at 9 o'clock.

That's all there is to it. Hope this helps some people. Have fun!!

Very well done! Thank you.

I seem to do better (get more Max-ed out pitches) when I end the second gesture exactly when the circle is full rather than ending the first gesture at that time. Does anyone else see this behavior?

To get maxed out, you need to end the first part just a fraction before it's full. So, technically, you're right. You're already into your second motion when the meter stops.

• 2 weeks later...

Want some real fun using total control pitching?

Eliminate the pitching cursor and use "Breakpoint aim" instead of "Pinpoint aim".

To eliminate the cursor, download "Realistic pitching" in the Miscellaneous download section.....Then set your total control pitching to "Breakpoint aim" (where you aim before the pitch breaks) not "Pinpoint aim."

For those that may not know....

If the pitch breaks from upper right to lower left, move the left stick up and to the right, which is where you want the pitch to start before it breaks...That is "Breakpoint aim".

Move the left stick to lower left, which is the location where you want the pitch to finsh...That is "Pinpoint aim".

Using "Breakpoint aim" with no cursor can be exciting....I haven't really walked any more batters than before but I sure made some batters visit the trainers room for a few days. :rolleyes: :lol:

Archived