Player Progression?

Wicked420

For those of you who like to sim your games instead of playing them, how is the player progression? Is it solely based on playing time or what? I'm not seeing any peak or potential ratings anywhere. Also how long does it take guys to develop and do minor leaguers stats mean anything or are they just cosmetic?

From Franchise Dev Diary: http://www.operationsports.com/feature.php?id=832

With the simulator out of the way, we moved on to our next core feature, the Player Progression model. Rather than implement a traditional progression model where players are given a potential rating that places them on a pre-determined growth ‘curve’, we decided to take a risk with our new progression model. As it turned out, this risk paid off for us handsomely. Players will progress in MLB 2K9 with respect to their on-field performance in addition to their potential. What this basically means is their on-field successes and/or failures will determine their career paths. This creates a very dynamic experience where one user’s experience could be dramatically different from another. I’ve had a franchise where James Loney took off and became one of the better players in the league. In another, I watched him hobble through injury after injury while never realizing his true potential. This level of dynamism is one of the many reasons that we are very excited about getting this game into your hands.

Here's a an odd bit of player progression:

For my Jays franchise, I picked up Jim Thome for a DH and he ended the season with 41 HR and 136 RBI. Not bad for a geezer. Travis Snider having a great rookie season, banged out 24 HR and 82 RBI with a .312 avg..

Now here's the fun part, Thome goes up 4 at the end of the season, Snider goes up 2. Granted Thome had a better year, he's 38. Snider is 21. You would think that a rookie having a breakout season would progress more than an old fart having a good, but not huge, season.

Archived