Can Someone Answer Some Questions About The Game For Me?

Wooly08

Can someone with this game help get some information about it.

I am wondering if this game, 2k9, has a good, deep franchise mode. Among the many things that bothered me about MVP is that it doesn't have good stats for players, in fact they are terrible. When you look at their stats it doesn't show year by year results, including their time in the minors. It just has one screen for aggregate career totals. You can't properly develop talent if you can't monitor progress. I want to be able to track all of my minor league players and decide how to develop them. I want to be able to move them around to different positions and up and down levels as needed. I want to be able to draft based on good scouting.

High Heat Baseball 2k3 had the best franchise mode I have ever seen. The stats were fully developed. You could track everything. I am hoping for something much more like that than MVP is.

Can anyone tell me what kind of stats MLB 2k9 has, and how they are displayed? I am hoping they show year by year stats for every player, and for the minor league players too. I am hoping they keep good stats like OPS, SLG, and OBP, stuff like that.

I am also unsure how deep their minor league system is, I know they have AAA, but what about AA and A? Can you play with your minor league teams?

I also read that player development is dynamic, changing with their playing time and production. Is that true? Tell me anything else you know about player development.

Thanks in advance for anyone that can answer these questions. It's very hard to size up a game without buying it, and I know many people here will know this off the top of their head.

Yes, they show all career stats of every play via their "Playing card". They keep career totals off all the good stats like OPS, SLG, RISP, etc.

Also for season stats, in addition to the normal stats, they also have Sabermetrics. Which I find is a REALLY nice touch.

They also have a "Power Ranking" where it decides who's the best teams 1 through 30. Also had list of 100 prospects and and track hot /cold streaks.

You can only play with AAA teams. AA and A are there basically as a place to put them. They build up stats, gain or lose ratings however. You can also see how they rate vs. other minor leagues.

I haven't played enough to see how players will develop over the course of a few years. I know when you draft them, there are kind of smallish. as in just around 6' give or take an inch. But I don't know if they will grow or not, these are young kids here still.

Another note for stat tracking, is that they have records to break for the league and the team.

The MLB headlines of telling you how other teams are doing give the 'chise a little life, in addition to all the stat tracking, etc.

The only negatives, is that you can't give an extension to a player with 1Y left. You can go in and edit the player and give him whatever contract you want--and have a house rule about only changing to something he would sign...or you just let him go to free agency. Contracts in general are pretty limited to $X over Y years. No club/player options.

And a plus for me, and a negative for others...they don't have all the "owner" stuff. You don't have to worry how many crappers your stadium has, or how much ice to put in a coke" Budgets will adjust by winning games and improving performance.

So if you consider it a "good" franchise, if you can track your players over the course of their careers with loads of stats, play a pretty nice game a baseball, and try to win some world titles, it could appeal to you.

Thanks ramenite, I appreciate the information.

One more question for you or anyone else. When you say they have career stats, you do mean year by year stats, right?

Like:

2003 AAAteam xx xxxx xxxx

2004 Angles xxx xxx xxxxx

2005 Dodgers xxx xxx xxxx

Total xxxx xxxx xxxx

When I bought MVP I was floored they did not have that. For such a good playing game, the stats and franchise was terrible. It was so shallow.

Thanks ramenite, I appreciate the information.

One more question for you or anyone else. When you say they have career stats, you do mean year by year stats, right?

Like:

2003 AAAteam xx xxxx xxxx

2004 Angles xxx xxx xxxxx

2005 Dodgers xxx xxx xxxx

Total xxxx xxxx xxxx

When I bought MVP I was floored they did not have that. For such a good playing game, the stats and franchise was terrible. It was so shallow.

There's a screenshot. There's other stats, and you can go to "accomplishments" where it tells you if they got an MVP, or won a WS.

post-28024-1238882986_thumb.jpg

Archived