Strat O Matic Baseball

JeremyB

Hi Guys

Didnt know what forum to post this in, but I was wondering does anybody play or have played strat o matic baseball? I was maybe thinking about buying it but have never played it before and want to get some of your guys opinions on it.

Cheers

Jeremy

Ive never played strat-o but have played others of the ilk. as a teenager, before computors gave you the same game only with instant results rather than figuring them out yourself with charts ect. It was excellent. I loved the tabletop baseball games i played, and wish i could find some of the old ones i played back in the day. Strat and APBA have become the industry leaders in tabletop baseball, and you probably wont go wrong with either of them, but check out there websites and google them as well to get a real feel for the game your getting into. they also, I think, have PC versions of their games. If your looking for a PC version of a text type, paper game, look at out of the park, or even Puresim, which can be found free online. Puresim is a great game. you wont go wrong with any of these games, they are all great fun.

Hi JeremyB,

I actually bought my 1st Strat-O-Matic board game in 1963 any many many times since then thus I think I am qualified to state that it is the best Baseball Board game I have ever owned and I have owned practically every one that has come out since the mid '60s including APBA which is likely Strat-O-Matic's only serious competitior over the years. Statis is a respectable Baseball Board game but falls a good bit short of Strat-O-Matic & APBA.

Now if you are actually seeking advice on Computer Baseball "Text" type games I think Out of the Park would rate as #1 by me with Sports Mogul a close 2nd then perhaps PureSim in a fairly distant 3rd. Both Out of the Park and Sports Mogul are really well done and really priced right at around $30. Strat-O-Matic's computer game, which I do have as well as those others I mentioned, is priced way too high for the value it provides relative to the #1 & #2 games above. Although a really great game I think Strat-O-Matic's computer Text game is actually not as good in some aspects as the other two and superior perhaps in some ways but not to any degree to merit the price they ask for it.

Hope this helps,

Don

Wow Don,

For me it was PureSim and OOTP 1-1 and I was just dissapointed with Mogul, felt it was a waste of my money. Maybe im nostalgic with Puresim as #1 it was free, #2 it was the first such PC game I ever came across when i didnt even know the genra existed. You never forget your first. But OOTP has thrived where the erst have fallen short, and it is probably priced right especially when put up against the Big Time Table top cross overs. I never priced strato PC but APBA I thinnk at one point was what $70. incredible. But they did have ernie harwell doing play by play :-)

I used to play a table top baseball game by the name of Koch Sports baseball. I think it is now years into the mist this game, but it was a simple cards dice and numbers game that gave you play results with one roll of the dice and maybe 2 charts to reference. could play a game in 20 minutes alone. That was always my favorite. I could play it in the backseat of the car on trips.

Archived