Technical Question Regarding Activation Key

wahooguy

Hi,

This past weekend, I had to reset my windows 8.1 from scratch - meaning my C drive was totally erased with all of my files. I have heavily modded 2k12 installed on another drive (e) that was not affected during the resetting. But, when I tried to start 2K12, I received a window to enter my activation key I received from my vendor. So, I entered that information, but I received an error that that key was used too many times or that I used that on too many computers.

It is a legit copy of 2k12, and I only used it on two computers - the activation code should work fine.

Am I getting this error because I did not "properly" re-install the game after the reset? If so, is there a way to reinstall a vanilla version and then go back to the modded version? Or would it not even matter since it is an activation code issue and not an installation problem?

Anybody have any experience with this issue?

Thanks!

My guess is that the PC thinks it's installed in the registry on the C: drive so it's giving you the error message. So if you can locate that registry key then you can delete it and use the code. Check your Programs and Apps and see if the game is still installed. Maybe it will offer you a repair option.

Your game is always going to install clean without mods. Make sure the mods are backed up somewhere so you don't lose them, if re-installing 2K12.

I looked in the installed programs in the control panel, and it wasn't listed. So I re-downloaded from amazon, installed and then it asked for the key once I started the program. And the Key failed - same error - too many times and/or to many computers.

I contacted Amazon requesting a new key, and they pointed me to 2K, since they are the only ones that can issue keys.

Well, actually, that worked out pretty smothly. A few screen shots of my purchase receipt, activation key, and the error that I get. Few hours later, 2K Support issued me a new key (Steam version, though).

So, I downloaded it (again), and was pleasantly surprised that it was the patched version. It was a vanilla copy, but fortunately, still have the mods saved.

Thanks for the suggestions/help!