T plus 1 week review

zooyork970

The game looks fantastic and I love all the in depth features, but the gameplay has somewhat dissapointed me...

Mainly in the fact that In rookie and seriously dogging the CPU for infield/outfield, it still manages to crank out like 10+ jumping line drive snags/diving catches per game EVERY time.

Also, I've gone over and over the controls and can find nothing for any kind of sprint command, yet the CPU outfielders seem to be able to sprint or at least run faster than normal. Also that is whenever the balls do not fly DIRECTLY to them. The cpu seems to have very good hit dispersion while mine sucks, and yes I am using the pure swing.

I dunno, it's definately WAY more loaded that my high heat 2003, and is VERY more realistic in the way of user control and features, but in the AI or CPU department, it seems to be really lacking.

Mainly in the fact that In rookie and seriously dogging the CPU for infield/outfield, it still manages to crank out like 10+ jumping line drive snags/diving catches per game EVERY time

You can adjust the datafile, so that the fielders don't make so many miracle catches.

Here is my original post from another thread.

Here are the detailed directions:

1. Download the DFCompUtil.exe.

2. Extract DFCompUtil.exe to C:Program FilesEA SPORTSMVP Baseball 2004data

3. Copy gfxpak.exe to C:Program FilesEA SPORTSMVP Baseball 2004data

4. Run DFCompUtil.exe.

5. Check Wordpad and then press Decompress and Open datafile.txt.

6. It will open up in a new window.

7. Press CTRL + H

8. In the dialog box that follows put:

Find What: 217 1.0000;218 1.0000;219 1.0000;220 1.0000;221 1.0000;222 1.0000;223 1.0000;

Replace With: 217 1.0000;218 1.0000;219 1.0000;220 25.0000;221 1.0000;222 1.0000;223 1.0000;

9. Save it and close Wordpad.

10. Back in the Compression Utility, press Compress datafileEdit.txt

Make sure that both DFCompUtil.exe and gfxpak.exe are in:

C:Program FilesEA SPORTSMVP Baseball 2004data before you try to run the Datafile Compressor.

I dont see DFCompUtil.exe or gfxpak.exe in the data folder. I have gfxpak.exe in my main MVP folder but not in data. Ive never seen DFCompUtil.exe before. I guess I can move the gfxpak.exe into the data

folder but I wouldnt have a clue where to get the other exe.

I dont see DFCompUtil.exe or gfxpak.exe in the data folder. I have gfxpak.exe in my main MVP folder but not in data. Ive never seen DFCompUtil.exe

One sentence below that one, #1 - you must download that to get DFCompUtil.exe and yes, you need to copy gfxpak.exe into the data folder in order for it to work.

I understand exactly what you are telling me to do, but I have no idea what a "datafilr.txt" is. Where do I get that?

When you run DFCompUtil.exe, it will display the datafile.txt file.

Ok, im still lost.

I have the decompressor in my data folder like you said. The Gfxpak as well.

I open the dfcomp.exe and clock the wordpad check. I then click "decompress and open datafile"

It then gives me that same message that a datafile.txt does not exist in the data folder.

So i click the default location of datafile.txt to see where its at. besides the box, it says "program/mvp2004/data" so i go in and see if i can find that txt in that location and I cant find it.

What am i missing?

Oh, I know what your problem is, I get it now.

1. Go into C:Program FilesEA SPORTSMVP Baseball 2004datadatafile.

2. Open up datafile.big with EA Graphics Editor

3. Scroll down until you see datafile.txt

4. File -> Extract -> extract it as a .txt file

5. Save it to C:Program FilesEA SPORTSMVP Baseball 2004data

6. It will say that it is compressed, would you like to decompress it. Click NO.

Now you should be able to do all of the other steps.

It created all of the files for me automatically, I really don't know what the problem is for you.

The easiest fix, extract datafile.txt from datafile.big again, but this time when it asks if it should decompress it, check YES and then rename it from datafile.txt to datafileEdit.txt and put it in the MVPData folder.

So how do we get the new datafile back into the compressed archive?? Do we have to or what??

No you don't need to, that's the cool part. The game recognizes it from the MVP/data directory.

Hey Five,

After you make the modifications in WordPAd, can you use the GFXPAK to repack the datafile.big (Using the -u switch..yes?????).

I'm interested in trying this too, I have one quick question....I play OF Assisted, so I'm assuming this will also affect MY OF and their Superman like fielding abilites.

cheers,

Daniel

Archived