Player Progression Mod Update

billharris44

I think the first phase of the progression mod is nearly completed--adjusting the progression of position players to more accurately match the default ratings.

The following numbers are the number of players in the ratings range. Ten teams counted. First number is default rosters, second number is default rosters after 20 years with default progression system, and third is default rosters with progression mod after 20 years.

95-100: 1,43, 4.

90-94: 9, 18, 8.

85-89: 18, 32. 15.

80-84: 25, 26, 22.

Power:

95-100: 2, 19, 3.

90-94: 1, 8, 8.

85-89: 16, 18, 9.

80-84: 23, 31. 18.

You can see that the mod has pulled back the ratings inflation significantly--not perfect, but it's a good baseline to move on to phase two.

Phase two is adjusting pitchers, who are experiencing the same ratings inflation with the default progression system as position players were. However, I've got a decent idea of what the values need to be already, since the position players are working (taking into account the different peak ages for pitchers and position players, etc.).

When that's completed, phase three is adjusting probabilities for both position players/pitchers where necessary, then starting a detailed analysis of statistical integrity over time. I believe the stats will look pretty good as soon as phase three is completed, but if not, we'll know what to adjust.

If I was going to make a wild guess as to how long this will take, I'd say 3-4 weeks. So the plan is to have it ready for Opening Day. That will probably represent over 500 simmed seasons by then, so since we're at only 100+ right now, there's still quite a work to be done.

If any of you would like to help test (as little as 1-2 hours or up to as many as you'd like to do), please send an e-mail to billharris@austin.rr.com. There is a standardized testing procedure with instructions, so it's easy to get started, and it mostly consists of clicking as necessary as ten seasons simulate, then sending me the dynasty save file. Thanks.

Awesome work Bill. I'm more than happy to help. Email me at x94blair3@myway.com. Once we get the progression mod done I'll probably dive into rosters...

Of course I need to pick up the game first :D

I'd like to tackle a project like Gforce's with real pitch types and accurate minor leagues.

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, guys, here's where we are.

I compiled some stats today for the first time. Here's the variance (league totals) from a 2025 Dynasty with MLB stats from last year:

Hits: -2.07%

HR: +13.64%

Runs: -13.10%

2B: -15.05%

3B: -16.48%

SO: -2.02%

BB: -12.37%

Steals: -3% (but caught stealing higher than MLB)

Errors: -20% (and probably nothing can be done about this)

That's the first time we've even compiled stats--until now, it's been strictly work on ratings distributions and aging patterns. So I'm very pleased that the stats are this good before we even start balancing to stats.

If reducing power means more 2B and 3B and less home runs, then we're in good shape. However, it is probably not that linear. Plate discipline has a direct relationship to walks, and I think that can be tweaked to some degree. So we're making good progress--actually a little bit ahead of where I expected to be at this point.

Still looking good for Opening Day. Very good, actually.

Archived