Anyone have batting tips?

BigTrain0425

I play with the Mets (perhaps the problem) on MVP with the contact/power sliders turned to +30. I have a real hard time hitting for any power. Hit a ton of weak fly balls and slow rollers. Very few really hard hit balls save for the occasional HR. Any tips (other than the obvious)?

Also, using the left joystick, should you try to swing where the ball is pitched (ie low swing for low balls/high swing for high balls) or should you swing where you want to hit the ball (ie high swing for fly ball/low swing for ground ball regardless of pitch location)? The manual seems really unclear on this . Thanks in advance.

BigTrain

Also, using the left joystick, should you try to swing where the ball is pitched (ie low swing for low balls/high swing for high balls) or should you swing where you want to hit the ball (ie high swing for fly ball/low swing for ground ball regardless of pitch location)? The manual seems really unclear on this . Thanks in advance.

BigTrain

use the left joystick in the direction you want the ball to go. So for fly balls aim up, for grounders aim down, for shots to left field aim left, and for shots to right field aim right.

It doesnt always work exactly as you'd hope due to pitch location and timing, but it gives you more control.

Also I'd suggest not swinging at the first thing in the strikezone. In any possible case, wait for a pitch in a location you like.

After that my knowledge gets fuzzier.

If im not wrong, pitches that go high will result more in popups. To get more of a line drive out of these, aim the left stick down to level it out. And vice versa for pitches down low.

I'm still pretty much a rookie, but this much i've learnt. Hope it helps.

Hi guys, first post here (long time lurker as I'm loving this game and you all seem to know so much about it).

I'm having huge trouble hitting anything over 250yds, mostly just ground balls. Hell I'm lucky if I can make a double base hit! Just read the guide from the link above and that makes sense, but how do I do that if I'm playing with the keyboard? I've got a PS2 pad, but for love nor money I cannot get it to be accepted by the game (or any other EA game for some reason, even tho it works just fine with every other game I've got, go figure).

Can anyone give a noob some pointers?

its possible on the keyboard with the numberpad or the arrow keys, i cant rememebr which.

But yeah, i feel sorry for you that you dont have a gamepad that works. I had to play MVP 2004 the same way. I enjoy the game more now with my gamepad.

Well I've just had a play (had a hunch it was gonna be the numberpad to help "aim" the bat into the strike zone) and Manny's now smacking more foul balls than I've ever seen (although I did just clonk the pitcher in the head, which was funny!).

Practise make perfect I guess.

Cannot understand why the PS2 pad convertor is so much hard work for EA in all their games when other (smaller, less "talented") developers can do it first time, everytime. Sucks.

that guide is actually very good. My suggestion is play a game where you take a lot of pitches and just train your eye to pay attention to the hitters eye feature. Also take notice of how the pitches move. After time you will learn to see the break on curves, etc.

I like to aim toward the right field fence for right handed pitchers and the left field fence for left hand pitchers. If I need a clutch hit I might try for opposite field regardless of the pitcher. If a pitcher is batting I sometimes put the analog straight down and try for a ground ball up the middle.

don't swing at bad pitches :D

No, really..its all about working the count, just like real life. You have to be selective at what you swing at because the pitcher seems pretty adaptive to what you're swinging at. I've made mistakes with a batter early in a game, and I got horrible pitches the whole game for him. It just takes patience and studying the pitches in the early innings, then after that, its all about reading the situation, learning the pitchers pattern, and waiting for something you can drive with authority.

It really is close to real life hitting...

-Look for a pitch in a specific location and be ready to handle it. I like to see what the happy zones for my specific batter is (or rather, what the cold zones are and dont swing at pitches there) and wait accordingly. If I have a guy who likes stuff away, that's the pitch I want to hit. If he's a light hitter, I don't go for the fly hit away unless I'm trying for the sac. fly. If I have a guy who like it in who is a power guy, I hold my left stick to the upper left and get ready to jump on my inside pitch. This year's version seems to have made it easier to drive pitches in the cold zones and not have them be absolutely demolished in the hot zones. It also seems harder to hit opposite field homers.

-Be patient. The hardest part is about the first week of playing where you are still adjusting to pitch speed, break, and location. MVP has made the break on pitches vary more by pitcher, so it's harder to do now, but you have to be able to recognize where a pitch is going to land when it is released. It's no trivial task, but gets easier with time. Once you get it down, you'll be able to walk more.

-Be a two-strike hitter. If I'm aimin for the fences with a mediocre hitter, I stop when I get two strikes. I let go of the left stick completely unless I have the big stick up. This is situational (you want your big sticks hitting big most of the time), but protecting the plate with two strikes will really help when you're down 0-2. I also don't aim with my leadoff-type hitters. I just want them to take as many pitches as they can and slap the ball. This may change as the game goes on, but those are the guys I want getting easy singles rather than harder doubles, triples, or homers.

TexasMet

Archived