If you have stuttering disable your soundblaster card....

gepetto

I just did; and I'm getting much smoother gameplay; still stuttering on infield throws though (but a 60 Hz vsync on fixes that entirely now) . just disable it in device manager. Its just something I want everyone to try for the sake of finding out whats causing the game to stutter. Just try it please, its a small favor to ask. I think I'm gonna rip out my soundblaster live! card and use the onboard sound that came with my motherboard until EA fixes this.

Thanks for the idea gepetto, but many of us have been down this road and back already. At this point I think it's a safe assumption to conclude that the stuttering issue is not a hardware issue or a driver issue. It's an issue with the game itself. unfortunately

gepetto:

Your idea is actually a very good one and does help stuttering on many other games. However on MVP, it will only help those people who's computer specs are "on the bubble" (meaning turning on AA or AF or enabling onboard sound only, hogs the processor enough to SLOW down the machine, making it playable)

Here is part of a post I left a while back:

I took a cheap Geforce 4MX video card and put it in the faster machine (which had a Geforce 6800 in it). The chopiness improved!! Then I took the faster video card, put it in the crappy system and the chopiness got worse! This of course means the reverse as well and effects the speed of the processor, not just the video card.

I have done research on this problem for over a year now as this happened in MVP 04 as well. I have run diagnostics with exact setups on machines with lower specs. I have read post after post after post of people with subpar machines running the game smooth as butter. I know how to do EVERYTHING to a machine to run a game. Background tasks, drivers, DirectX9 setups, memory adjustments, PCI latency, sound acceleration levels, AA and AF settings, Vsyncs, refresh rates, put in different hard drives, reinstalled windows, played without sound enable, played without joystick installed, etc,etc. I have done it all.

And I could never get that faster computer to run the game is smoothly as the slower one.

My thoery is holding up completey. This must be patched immediately. My conclusion is that this game was made for consoles first. As you know, the fastest console is the Xbox at 733Mhz I believe. Not suprisingly, processors right around that range or better (1.0-1.7) run the game smoothly. I think the PC port was done at the last second. EA can always patch it later (like MVP04 last year), and they make the least amount of money off of MVP in the PC department.

In my case I ended up getting the Gamecube version and I am currently playing the patched MVP 2004.

gepetto:

Your idea is actually a very good one and does help stuttering on many other games. However on MVP, it will only help those people who's computer specs are "on the bubble" (meaning turning on AA or AF or enabling onboard sound only, hogs the processor enough to SLOW down the machine, making it playable)

Here is part of a post I left a while back:

I took a cheap Geforce 4MX video card and put it in the faster machine (which had a Geforce 6800 in it). The chopiness improved!! Then I took the faster video card, put it in the crappy system and the chopiness got worse! This of course means the reverse as well and effects the speed of the processor, not just the video card.

I have done research on this problem for over a year now as this happened in MVP 04 as well. I have run diagnostics with exact setups on machines with lower specs. I have read post after post after post of people with subpar machines running the game smooth as butter. I know how to do EVERYTHING to a machine to run a game. Background tasks, drivers, DirectX9 setups, memory adjustments, PCI latency, sound acceleration levels, AA and AF settings, Vsyncs, refresh rates, put in different hard drives, reinstalled windows, played without sound enable, played without joystick installed, etc,etc. I have done it all.

And I could never get that faster computer to run the game is smoothly as the slower one.

My thoery is holding up completey. This must be patched immediately. My conclusion is that this game was made for consoles first. As you know, the fastest console is the Xbox at 733Mhz I believe. Not suprisingly, processors right around that range or better (1.0-1.7) run the game smoothly. I think the PC port was done at the last second. EA can always patch it later (like MVP04 last year), and they make the least amount of money off of MVP in the PC department.

In my case I ended up getting the Gamecube version and I am currently playing the patched MVP 2004.

Great post.

The problem with this game is definitely in the code. EA won't fix it. Not enough money in the PC market. As you stated, they ported this off the consoles - then rushed one last version out the door to make a few more bucks off the PC crowd.

I'm glad I read about the problem this year before rushing out and buying it like I did last year and suffering through the stuttering for another season. I might pick it up for 5 bucks in the bargain bin in a few months.

Archived