Strategy Question - Hot / Cold Zones

AcousticNut

Just tossing a hypothetical out there to see how some of you would handle the situation.

Bottom of the 9th - Up by 1 - Opponent at bat with runner on 2nd.

The player at the bat has good power and good average... let's say 75 / 75.

The batter's Zones are as follows:

B B B

C R C

R R R

My question is: Do you pitch high into his cold zones, look for a weak pop-up but risk the game-winning home-run; or do you stay low in his Hot zones and risk giving up the tying run by pitching where he likes to hit it.

I ran into this earlier tonight and wanted to see how each of you approach it. Keep the ball down, or hit him in the cold zones.....

Hmmm depends on how many out's there are and what pitches your pitcher have.

I don't use the hot and cold zones but if it were me, I would go fast ball inside in the neutral to try and jam him on the first pitch, if thats a strike, I'd go change up slightly off the plate on the outside of the nutral and try to get him to chase, if he does so,then either throw him a fastball in the two upper corners and dry to blow it by him or throw a slider down and away.

i wouldn't mess around a player who has Stats of 75/75, because if you somehow "mispitch" in MVP level, most of the time it will ended up with a homerun or a 2B.

i would pitch either a curve or slider out side of his strike zone try to get a strike out or a weak infield flyball. [the ball will cross his hot zone but end up outside of the strike zone].

Archived