April 22nd-24th

vs. Texas Rangers

April 26th-28th

vs. Los Angeles Angels

April 29th-30th

vs. Toronoto Blue Jays

game1_linescore.jpg

Yankees offense struggles in season-opener

NEW YORK (AP) – In Major League Baseball’s opening day, the Yankees fell to the 2004 World Champions – the Boston Red Sox – 6-3.

Curt Schilling pitched 7 innings, giving up 2 hits, 1 solo homerun and 0 walks while striking out 5 batters.

"I felt great on the mound," Schilling said. "Getting a win like this against the Yankees is a great way to start off the season."

Manny Ramirez led the high-powered Red Sox offense and drove in 4 runs, 2 with a long 430-foot blast to left-field.

"Our offense couldn’t be stopped tonight," Ramirez, who went 5-5, said.

Randy Johnson, acquired from the Arizona Diamondbacks, went 6.2 innings but gave up 13 hits and 4 runs and was credited with the loss.

"Honestly, I just didn’t have my stuff tonight," the Big Unit said. "I’m disappointed with what I showcased or lack thereof."

While the Red Sox offense came out of the gates firing, the Yankees struggled to find any spark.

4 batters, including leadoff hitter Derek Jeter, went hitless and provided no help. To contribute to the offensive problems, each of the 1st 5 batters struck out once against the Red Sox ace.

The only scare for the Red Sox came in the bottom of the 8th inning, where relief pitcher Mike Timlin was brought in. Timlin gave up a leadoff double to Jason Giambi then a 2-run homerun to Tino Martinez, bringing the lead to within 1 run. Timlin proceeded to get the next two batters, Tony Womack and Derek Jeter to fly out but when facing Alex Rodriguez, he gave up a single. To get out of the inning, Gary Sheffield and Timlin were engaged in a 7-pitch battle where Sheffield ended up grounding out to 2nd.

The Red Sox then proceeded to assure their victory with a 2-run homerun off of pitcher Paul Quantrill, by Manny Ramirez in the bottom of the 9th inning.

“Let’s just hope this sets a trend for the rest of the season,†said Ramirez, while laughing.

game1photo1.jpg

Jorge Posada is tagged out at home plate by catcher Jason Varitek, in the bottom of the 7th.

game1photo2.jpg

Alex Rodriguez gets tagged while trying to stretch a single into a double, in the bottom of the 9th inning.

Starting Pitchers

Boston Red Sox – C. Schilling: 7.0 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 5 K, 1 HR, 1.29 ERA

New York Yankees – R. Johnson: 6.2 IP, 13 H, 4 ER, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 5.40 ERA

Player of the Game

game1potg.jpg

Manny Ramirez

bos.gif

M. Ramirez: 5-5, 1 HR, 1 2B, 4 RBI, 1 R

E. Renteria: 3-5

J. Varitek: 2-5

K. Millar: 2-4

Johnny Damon: 2-4

nyy.gif

J. Giambi: 2-3

A. Rodriguez: 1-4

G. Sheffield: 1-4, HR, RBI (1)

D. Jeter: 0-4, K

T. Martinez: 1-3, HR (1), 2RBI (2)

Record: 0-1

Tomorrow's Game: Boston Red Sox

Starting Pitchers: David Wells vs. Mike Mussina

game2_linescore.jpg

Yankees can’t buy hits in 2nd loss to Red Sox

NEW YORK (AP) – The Yankees continued their offensive woes as the Boston Red Sox humiliated them, winning 9-1.

David Wells added to the dominating pitch of the Boston Red Sox, only allowing 1 run and 2 hits in a complete game.

"It’s been a great start," the former Yankee, Wells, said. "Everybody has played well and clicked on both offense and defense."

For the 2nd straight game, Manny Ramirez could not be stopped, offensively. Alongside Ramirez has been shortstop Edgar Rentaria, acquired from the Cardinals in the offseason. Renteria has the 2nd highest batting average in the team, behind Ramirez and he has been a major contributor to the wins against the Yankees

"Manny [Ramirez] has been awesome every game," the ex-Cardinal said. “He has definitely been the glue of this team on offense.â€

On the other side of the spectrum, the Yankees rotation has continued to struggle, more notably the bullpen. Mike Mussina, last year’s ace, gave up a Grand Slam and 6 hits in just 5 innings of action. The relievers, including newly acquired Felix Rodriguez, Mike Stanton and Paul Quantrill, did more hurt than they did help; they combined to give up 5 crucial runs and 9 hits.

"I don’t know what has happened here, in the beginning of the season,†said manager Joe Torre. "Our pitching staff looked great in spring training but we’re struggling to get any pitching assurance in these 1st two games. Something’s going to have to change."

For the 2nd straight game, the Yankees have struggled to hit the ball and in these two games, they have combined for 4 runs and 8 hits.

5 batters, including Hideki Matsui, Bernie Williams and Derek Jeter, have yet to find a hit this season and have provided no help to their struggling pitching staff.

The only offensive surge has been Gary Sheffield who has hit two solo shots in the 1st two games. While he is leading the Yankees, he is only batting .286 and has only driven in 2 runs.

“We’re just not playing good baseball, right now,†said captain Derek Jeter. “We’re going to have to step it up if we want to be successful.â€

game2photo1.jpg

Red Sox such as Johnny Damon and Edgar Renteria have had a lot to celebrate about in this young season.

game2photo2.jpg

Gary Sheffield has led the Yankees in offense but that has been one of very few bright spots.

Starting Pitchers

Boston Red Sox – D. Wells: CG, 2 H, 1 ER, 5 K, 1 HR, 1.00 ERA

New York Yankees – M. Mussina: 5.0 IP, 6 H, 4 ER, 3 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 7.20 ERA

Player of the Game

game2potg.jpg

David Wells

bos.gif

E. Renteria: 3-5, 2 R

M. Ramirez: 4-5, 2 RBI (6), R (2)

D. Ortiz: 2-5

K. Millar: 1-4

J. Damon: 1-4, HR (1), 2 RBI (2)

nyy.gif

G. Sheffield: 1-3, HR (2), RBI (2)

D. Jeter: 0-3, K

J. Giambi: 0-3

A. Rodriguez: 1-3, K

T. Womack: 0-4, 2 K

Record: 0-2

Tomorrow's Game: Boston Red Sox

Starting Pitchers: Matt Clement vs. Carl Pavano

this is a great dynasty format man ... hey how did you get the box scores and pics up there? how do you get pics on the board in general?

I play the PC version so I can take screenshots during the game using a program called Fraps. For the Box Score, I just take a screenshot of the boxscore in the game and I look at it then copy it to my format in Adobe Photoshop. To get pictures on the board, you have to use BBCode.

[img]insert the link here[/img]

game3_linescore.jpg

Yankees avoid the sweep

NEW YORK (AP) – In the 3rd game of the season, the Yankees pitching and batting both came alive to lead the Yankees past rival Boston Red Sox with the score 5-2.

For the 1st time in 3 games, the Yankees saw reliable pitching coming from their staff. Carl Pavano held the Boston Red Sox to 2 runs while giving up 11 hits. This is the 1st time in the season where the Yankees have held their opponent to under 5 runs.

"Our dugout has been somber lately," the newly acquired Yankee, Pavano, said. "I’m just glad that my pitching could help us get the win."

Gary Sheffield finally got some backup on the offensive end after a frustrating beginning. While Gary Sheffield, Alex Rodriguez, Derek Jeter and Jorge Posada were held hitless; the rest of the lineup picked up the slack and scored a season-high, 5 runs.

"This game goes to show you how all player in our lineup can have a great game," co-captain Bernie Williams said. “Some players, including myself, have struggled early on but this game shows the rest of the league that every player in our lineup is a force to be reckoned with.â€

Matt Clement, the ex-Chicago Cub, struggled early on and was quickly pulled. In just 2.2 IP, Clement gave up 6 walks, 5 hits and more importantly the only 5 runs of the game. Clement was shelled from the get-go and he appeared to be one of few pitching flaws the Red Sox have suffered from this season.

"It was just a rough outing,†said Boston Red Sox manager Terry Francona.

Manny Ramirez had a rough outing, striking out once but popping out twice. His performance was a summary of the Red Sox’s loss. Though, Ramirez had a poor game, 2nd Baseman Mark Bellhorn, 1st Baseman Kevin Millar and Designated Hitter David Ortiz filled his shoes. They combined for 7 of the Red Sox’s 12 hits and 1 of Boston’s 2 RBIs.

“It’s about time the players came together and had a good game,†said owner George Steinbrenner. “I expect more performances like this throughout the season.â€

Game Notes: Derek Jeter has yet to get a hit in 10 at-bats –

game3photo1.jpg

1st Baseman Tino Martinez comes up with a scorching line drive, Martinez proceeded to tag out Jason Varitek for a double play.

game3photo2.jpg

Carl Pavano led the Yankees to victory with his solid 8 innings pitched.

Starting Pitchers

Boston Red Sox – M. Clement: 2.2 IP, 5 H, 5 ER, 6 BB, 2 K, 0 HR, 16.88 ERA

New York Yankees – C. Pavano: 8.0 IP, 11 H, 2 ER, 5 K, 0 HR, 2.25 ERA

Player of the Game

game3potg.jpg

Carl Pavano

bos.gif

M. Ramirez: 1-4, K

M. Bellhorn: 2-4, K, 1 R (2)

D. Ortiz: 2-4, RBI (1)

E. Renteria: 0-4, 2 K

K. Millar: 3-4

nyy.gif

T. Womack: 1-3, K (3), BB

A. Rodriguez: 0-2, 2 BB, 2 R (2), 2 K

G. Sheffield: 0-2, R, 2 BB

J. Giambi: 1-4, 1 RBI (1), 2 K

D. Jeter: 0-3, BB

Record: 1-2

Next Game: vs. Baltimore Orioles

Starting Pitchers: Daniel Cabrera vs. Kevin Brown

Minor League Update (April 7th, 2005)

A – Tampa Yankees @ Lakeland Tigers: 6-1

AA – Erie SeaWolves @ Trenton Thunder: 3-5

AAA – Charlotte Knights @ Columbus Clippers: 3-5

• 2 weeks later...

Dude, I'm curious to ask, do you write for the New York AP? Bro you can be an awesome sports editor, I'm reading your articles, and I'm actually thinking they are official articles. I write editorials for sports at my school, (I also play for the baseball team for my high school, so the baseball articles are the best) and I'm telling you my friend, you got what it takes to do it. Great job on this man, this is sick!!!

• 2 months later...

Archived