70s / 80s Teams for PS2 (WIP)

bhogg

Bonny and I are working on a ps2 roster. We're fans of the 70s and 80s so we'll be picking each teams best team from the 70s or 80s. It'll take a while to get it out (hopefully within a month).

For hitter ratings, we're using baseball almanac, retro sheet, and baseball reference. We don't have a scientific set of rating rules -- just player reputation and stats.

For pitcher ratings, bonny has a new book that gives scouting reports and pitches used for just about every pitcher in ML history.

We've been playing with classic rosters for the past month or so and things are going great.

For teams such as the Yankees, Cubs, Reds, Cards, and Bo Sox we'll probably have multiple teams --- these clubs have minor league teams with the same mascot and uni's as the ML club.

So far here is what we have:

84 Cubs

84 Pads

85 Cards

85 Royals

89 Cubs

83 White Sox

82 Angels

82 Brewers

84 Tigers

87 Twins

86 Astros

I know there are lots of classic teams not included (from the 50s and 60s, etc) but we're 80s (and 70s) guys.

As soon as we're finished, I'll post the roster set on this board (X Port version)

Thanks tony.

One way or another, I'm getting a classic roster set put together.

My vision is to have "classic year" sets but that might be way too much of an undertaking with a wife, child, and job to tend to ;)

bhogg,

Those 80's teams above are excellent selections and very much appreciated. There currently are around 100 teams that fill the vaults of the Total Classics project. I think FuzZ would be delighted to share that list with you as well as have your 80's list above join that ever expanding golden treasure. I feel fairly comfortable in saying that eventually we will see a Total Classic's version that is decade oriented such as a League of '50s teams, one of '60s teams - '70s; '80s etc etc ...... I think we are close already and if you join the effort we will be that much closer.

Are you using MVPEdit to build your teams or are you doing them directly on the xBox or PS2 in this case?

bhogg,

I would think it would be a good check and balances effort to import those teams via MVPEdit from the Lahman Data Base and compare your ratings in all areas to what MVPEdit produces. Any large differences could then be further investigated for their realism and adjusted accordingly. That way you might feel a little more comfortable with the ratings you assign to your players and also they will be fairly consistent with the vast number of teams created via MVPEdit produced by the many other roster builders. Just a suggestion however.

• 1 month later...

My buddy is about 2/3 finished with updating all pitchers with correct pitches and ratings. He's using the new pitchers scouting report book (can't recall the auther. . Neyer, maybe?).

The base roster set was done with mvpedit and the lahman database. I gave everyone the same generic speed and fielding because some of the lahman ratings were a little extreme one way or the other. Then I went in and manually edited hitter ratings and faces.

Kraw hooked me up with the conversion of the base set, but I wouldn't dare ask him to do it again. Espcially since the pitchers are almost complte.

Now if you want a real challenge, play the '86 Astros and face Mike Scott. The lahman db gave Scott a 100+mph 2 seamer to go along with an even faster 4 seamer. . . . . he doen'st have to scuff the ball anylonger ;)

• 2 weeks later...

THAT'S GOOD NEWS THAT YOU ARE GIVING ME AND I'LL WILL TRY TO PLAY AGAINST THAT PITCHER TO SEE HOW DIFFICULT IT IS BUT LET ME GET THIS STRAIGHT WILL THERE BE ANOTHER CONVERTION OR NOT? I JUST DON'T WANT TO GET MY HOPES UP SINCE I CREATED WO TEAMS AND ADDED THEM UP WITH WHAT YOU ALREADY HAD "DON'T WORRY THAT IT'S JUST FOR MY PERSONAL USE" I WILL NOT POST THEM TO OTHER WEB SIDES SO PEOPLE CAN GET THEM I ADDED THE 93' TIGERS & 1990 REDS.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still waiting on the card in the mail :(

Once it gets here, all pitchers will have correct ratings and pitches.

I'll post the roster over at mvplanet.com

There will not need to be a conversion.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived