Detroit (Dynasty)

statelizard

AP

Detroit -

Well the Tigers opened the season today at Comerica. On a blistery 50 degree day they gave the fans something to cheer about, at least when they where at bat. The Tigers managed 19 hits off Kansas City pitching, however that's only four more than the Royals had. Jose Lima took the loss for Kansas City giving up 11 hits and 8 runs in 4 and a third. He did manage to strike out 7. Lima wasn't alone in his struggles however, as Detroit starter Jeremy Bonderman allowed 9 hits, 6 runs and only struck out 2 in 7 innings, he was pulled in the eigth with no outs after a lead off home run.

Carlos Guillen led Detroits offense having a career day at the ballpark. He finished with 4 hits, and 8 RBI's, and did we mention that he became just the 3rd man ever to hit 3 HR on opening day. After the game Carlos said he wasn't sure what happened, "but hopefully there won't be any steroid talk, if there is i'll just have to not hit any for a month" he added with a chuckle.

When asked about todays game Alan Trammell seemed upset. "Yeah we won, but look at that 5 runs in the 9th, i mean that fat piece of...I mean Franklyn German has to pitch better. We can't have him going out there and giving up 2 home runs every time he takes the mound, today we had a big lead, the next time we won't."

When asked of the recent controversy in the clubhouse surrounding his decision to keep Bobby Higginson Tram said, "Well, he didn't help his cause, or help get you guys off my back today. His mis-played ball cost us a run, and in his one at-bat he looked like he was swinging a spaghetti noodle. I don't know, hopefully he'll come around, it's only the first game."

Tigers Win 16 - 11. Next Game: Tuesday at 1:05 Grienke Vs. Maroth

Archived