Computer makes too much contact

zooyork970

I find that the CPU's batting is a bit flawed. VERY many times than none the computer constantly takes pitches where the location indicator is within the strikezone, but they're still balls. I mean they're really close and any human would swing at them because there pretty much in the zone. Not to mention that ANY pitch in the strike zone will get hit and the computer never misses. Is there any fix to make the pitching more real? Keep in mind im playing this on rookie while trying to severely handicap the CPU, and even have the contact busted down to like -20...

I find that the CPU's batting is a bit flawed. VERY many times than none the computer constantly takes pitches where the location indicator is within the strikezone, but they're still balls. I mean they're really close and any human would swing at them because there pretty much in the zone. Not to mention that ANY pitch in the strike zone will get hit and the computer never misses. Is there any fix to make the pitching more real? Keep in mind im playing this on rookie while trying to severely handicap the CPU, and even have the contact busted down to like -20...

I agree, very few times do I dominate the opposing team with strikeouts it seems like if I let one person one the next batters are statues dont get me wrong i love the challenge but is very un releastic......

my era averages around 3.00+ for starters and 2.00 with relief pitchers while I know thats good considering the average numbers I know at least 3 of my starters are far better then 3.00+ average

to sum it up real nice every batter on this game is like barry bonds in real life except they strike out a little bit more....and I know this isnt a rare problem because i have seen countless of post's about not many strike outs which is obvious that the batter gets too much wood/takes a lot

I know i'm not the worlds greatest pitcher but that crap gets realy annoying it starts way too many rally's

I've had good results striking guys out... I find the best strikeout pitch for me is the cutter... with a RHP, throw it just inside to lefties so that it breaks across the strikezone and they chase it a lot. To righties I start it at the batter so that it just gets the strikezone as it breaks.

A.J. Burnett's knuckle curve is a killer strike out pitch... I usually start with a fastball in the corner, then something up high, and once i've got two strikes, the knucklecurve that drops just out of the strike zone, but they swing at it about 80% of the time!

The knuckle-curve is great, too... that's why I love Mussina in the game -- he throws a split now, so I replace his regular curve with Mr. Splitty, it gives him three good strikeout pitches... A 2 seamer just above the strikezone fools the CPU sometimes because it looks like it's going to sink into the zone but doesn't

I know how to strike guys out I know what pitches are nasty and where to put them but all that is useless when the computer gets in that statue mode

I honestly average about 5ks a game or lower...

I'm not saying its every time but its more then it should be

oh yeah and I'd like to you see lift off a homer on the location I'm talking about below the knees, which is almost a shoelace pitch which most batters wont even commit to

---------

despite of what you all might think I can prove that this is a problem, the cpu can clearly throw the ball way lower in the strikeout (below the knees) because every time a cpu batter gets wood on the balls I put below the zone I go back and compare the two and the cpu clearly can place it lower

so Like i said it must be a keyboard thing

This is just plain nuts... Yet another game where it seems like the computer will take 90% of CLOSE balls where the indicator is in the zone, but will make contact with 99% of pitches that are in the zone.

Just an idea, and i'm not sure if it's been said... but try turning down the slider for CPU contact some more... that might help...

zooyork, I just don't see that happening in my games. The comp does miss and he also will swing at pitches outside the lil strike zone box.

Maybe you need to set the batter up.. I really dunno. Mix your pitches, speeds and spots. Go up and in fastball and then throw a slider on the bottom opposite side of where he bats, even out of the zone... and he'll swing and miss. BUT, I've also found it seems that it better be a perfectly executed pitch(not all the way red and hit green in the pitch meter), otherwise, he'll be tipped off and not swing. Practice, man...

Took me awhile myself to grasp that you actually have to practice this game, as in real life to a certain extent. I also find it very compelling that if I'm nervous about a certain situation(bases juiced, bonds up), I tend to pitch bad, overpitch, miss green... not push the button as I would if in an easier situation, just as a rookie pitcher would do the same screw-ups physically while pitching in a pressure situation.

I'm having a blast.. wish you were, as well...

Guest Deznuts

I'm not having a problem striking people out either. Before I even started using roddata5, I was still able to get a decent realistic number of strikeouts. Mix it up - throw a fastball high and inside and then a changeup low and outside right after, then maybe a sweeping curveball low and out of the zone for the strikeout. Sliders are also a great pitch. I can get the computer to swing at balls a little out of the zone on Pro level but they won't swing at balls that are too far out of the zone too often, which is a bit unrealistic. The key is mixing up your pitches and throwing at the corners of the strike zone.

It is still the best and most fun baseball game I have ever played. I love the pitching meter setup. I was skeptical at first since it reminded me of Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004 but it actually works well.

once again I know where to place my pitches.....and its not that they are statues almost every time its location too...hell when I try to throw a shoe lace pitch 9 times out of 10 it ends up in the strike zone and the pitch can throw shoe lace pitches on a regular basis

believe me If the batter would swing throw balls more I would average around 10+ strikeouts per game because I always get the cpu ball the throat yet they always manage to swing at my balls no matter where they are

I really dont care Ive have gotten use to this, but the fact of the matter is that its there and it happens

A few tactics I've used that have netted me a lot of strikeouts...

You gotta throw outside the zone on purpose, or they're not going to K, period. If you throw everything in the zone, it doesn't matter how good the pitch is, you aren't gonna strike a lot of people out. Go against your best judgement and start him off with a fastball a couple inches outside.

Next: make sure you are mixing up speeds... don't go fastball, fastball, 4-seam and expect someone to go down. You've gotta mix it up more than 5 MPH. The majority of my strikeouts come on changeups after several fastballs and vica virca.

Here's the biggest thing... take a little off when thowing out of the zone. Seriously, I've never seen this mentioned before, but it works wonders for me. It seems like if you give 'em a less effective pitch, even if it's unhittable, they're more likely to chase it. It's the beachball effect... they see this fat hanger out there, they think they can hit it no matter where it's going. They wont chase a full power fastball out of the zone, but a low power slider in the dirt they'll try for.

Archived