Great virtual baseball card Classic site...

capa

When I was 8, me and my brother got a large shoe box of these in 1965 from my neighbor. They made a for a great game of flipping agains the wall to see who got the card the closest. Capa, some went into the spokes too. The good old innocent and simple days of real baseball.

That site is great... Try www.dickperez.com This guy is a sports artist, he's the guy who did all of the Diamond Kings cards for Donruss. There is a Hall of Fame collection as well. I used quite a bit of his cards to make my player photos. They look great in the game.

PirateFan13

Yeah...I grew up in the 60's...I remember getting in trouble in about 5th grade or so for buying a Mantle Topps card for $1 on the school playground. The nuns found out and I had to give it back, and was suitably punished. We used to play closest to the wall when flipping as well.

No one had any "mint" cards back then that I knew. They were all used for one kind of game or another. The double and triple cards wound up in your spokes.

I can still remember buying single packs for a nickel...and the gum used to leave a light film on the cards. Loved that gum, though once in a while you'd get a piece that was rock hard..didn't matter...

C

I stopped collecting in about 1968 I think...I was 12 then. Mantle's last year. I had about 10 of his cards...if I only knew.

I've never grown up...in fact, I have about 30-40 GI Joes from the 1960's in various outfits (scuba guy, frogman, dress Marine, etc...). I started collecting them about 15 years ago when my son was born. I played with them as a kid, so it is a kick for me to see them and hold them again.

It's like Ralph Kramden said, "It's not doing things that young people do that keeps you young...it's having memories"." (roller skating episode)....

; )

C

Wow, I had GI Joes too which some bit the dust via a simulated a space capsule crash and fire meltdown in a drainage ditch sometime in PA 1966. Wish I kept one of them. BW, my wife saw my reaction when a friend of ours pulled out only the head of a vintage 1960 GI Joe and how I told her it brought back so many good memories. Soon after my wife bought me some newer versions which hang out in my office. Regards.

Not to turn this into a GI Joe discussion, but yeah...they were a Huge part of my childhood...and having the old ones now brings back so many memories of backyards and digging foxholes, parachuting them off the upstairs porch, etc...

I also started collecting the newer ones as well. I have boxes and boxes of this stuff...can't find room for it all! I also collected all the 3 3/4 inch ones released in the 80's and 90's...and vehicles, etc...

May need to start liquidating...

Archived