Modding naming conventions?

GammaLogic

Hi folks,

New to this game, and modding it. How exciting is that?

Anyway, I'm a Linux guy (and a technical one at that) so we'll skip the usual newbie questions. I can answer those myself.

On point: Looking through the mods, I'll see something like this "MVP 12 Walk-Up Music"

I see "MVP 12" and similar designations in other mods, under the Downloads > MVP Baseball > MVP Baseball 2005 subdirectory.

What does it mean? Are these ripped from another version of the game? Another mod? Do they require another mod to work (such as a TC mod)?

The specific mods you refer to are mods that were created as add-ons to the MVP12 mod.  The last MVP game with major league teams was MVP2005.  All of the post-2005 seasons (06, 07, 08, 12, 14, 15) were what we call "Total Conversion" mods.  They change things like music, audios, rosters, faces, portraits, menu / loading screens and stadiums, but the basic game engine is still the original MVP2005 game.

The MVP12 add-on mods will work with other Total Conversion mods or with the original MVP12 game.  Some mods, however, mainly rosters, will not work without also updating cyberfaces because if a cyberface is referenced but does not exist in the data\models.big file, the game will crash.

Does this make sense?

Thanks Jim,

Yes, it makes perfect sense. There were similar issues when modding Bethesda's games (notably Oblivion), where the engine would crash if it couldn't find a resource called from the script. Many of the smaller mods depended on functions from larger mods. So I suppose this is the same situation here with MVP.

Thanks Jim,

Yes, it makes perfect sense. There were similar issues when modding Bethesda's games (notably Oblivion), where the engine would crash if it couldn't find a resource called from the script. Many of the smaller mods depended on functions from larger mods. So I suppose this is the same situation here with MVP.

It's similar to Oblivion in the sense of....let's take the rosters for example. The game reads it all as attributes (a script), so if it's looking for a resource, like a cyberface (we've called 3D headshapes "cyberfaces" since the Triple Play days) that you do not have in your models.big file, the game will crash