MVPEdit bug

Jim825

I've been working on a project for Total Classics to include portraits for all 90 of the classic teams in the portrait.big file. This consists of going through each team, one at a time, with MVPEdit and adding a portrait for each player (I've got 80 teams done so far).

After I get a few teams done, I test them out by starting up the game and once I see that the portraits show up (and the game still runs :D ), I work on the next set of teams.

While testing the portrait updates, I noticed that the records for the teams were displayed incorrectly. For example, the 1998 Yankees finished with a record of 114-48, but when the game starts up, it displays their record as 80-64.

I went to www.retrosheet.org to get the proper records for all 90 classic teams, opened up the tstat.dat roster file with a text editor and manually edited the won - lost record for each team. I verified that the proper records were then displayed properly in the game.

After editing the tstat.dat file, I needed to make a few edits in MVPEdit. After exporting the files, I looked at the tstat.dat file and noticed that it had reverted the team records in tstat.dat back to their previous values (i.e. the '98 Yankees once again had a record of 80-64). It appears that for some reason MVPEdit overwrites the tstat.dat file with the original values whenever it exports the roster files, rather than reading in the values and then writing the same ones back out.

Luckily, I had made a backup of my tstat.dat file, so I didn't have to reenter the data for all 90 teams again. Phew...... :D

This is a minor bug that I can live with (I just keep a saved version of tstat.dat that I'll use once I'm done with my updates). I just wanted to make others aware of the issue.

Archived