Safe?

Answer to your question about addons- They are safe if they are made by people who know what they are doing. I cant post the site for spam reasons, but addons by guys like Moser316 are always a safe bet.

The answer to your other question is another question followed by an answer. Are you retarded? Just download the EA MVP 2004 patch. The rosters are current to 04/09. If you installed MVP again, nothing would change because of registry files.

It's always a good idea to backup your original files before you install mods. For instance, if you're installing a new stadium mod, just copy/paste the original file (in the same folder) before you install the new mod.

will I be able to keep the default rosters on one while updating the other

No question is retarded. You are thinking too hard here. It depends on the rosters you use.

There are two varieties of rosters:

Those that update your DAT Files:

Total Minors - best roster update available, hands down.

Kerms - pretty good roster updates

Those that are simply .sav files:

Big M1kes - the one I used when I first started my dynasy, when I do my second dynasty I'll use the Total Minors set.

Differences, between the two:

With the DAT files rosters, you would back up 18 .dat files and then you could play with the default rosters. You could simply have one folder with the 18 .dat files from the default rosters and one with the 18 .dat files from the updated rosters.

With the .sav rosters, you must load the rosters in order to use them, so if you don't load them, then you will be playing with the default rosters.

One side note: once you start your dynasty, you cannot change the rosters between the updated ones and the default ones. You will have to choose which you like better, before you start.

Well... aside from the retarded comment your posts have been very helpful. And it's true I might've figured that out had I been normally.... maybe I was too caffeinated. Anyway... of course I can't install it twice... but if my rosters are unsatisfying... which I'm sure they won't be... I can always download the patch and they will go back to where they are now... is that how it works? Thanks.

Yes, and no. One thing about the patch #2 (and it was the same with patch #1) is that it will not install unless the default game rosters are in the MVP Baseball 2004 data folder. If you have custom default rosters in there (i.e. updated .dat files), the patch installation will fail with an error message. The only way around it is to reinstall the roster files from the CD before installing the patch. That's why it's a good idea to backup the .dat files before grabbing new custom ones or modifying them yourself.

Archived