Don't Scuff My White on Whites...An A's Dynasty

APR

oaklandlayout6ab.gif

Don't expect anything like Lual's, but my layout and presentation will be somewhat similar with a few added effects of my own.

Game Settings:

Difficulty:	 All Star

Sliders:		Pared's w/My Own Mix

Datafile:	   Jim's Combo 

Rosters:		Ultimate Rosters v. 2.3

Progression:	Bills Progression Fix v. 2

Misc:		   Strike Zone Off  Hot Colds Off  Pitch Cursor Fade
Features:

-Billy's Corner:			  A periodical analysis from the chair of GM Billy Beane

-Billy Beane Stressometer:	How hot does Billy get when the A's win or lose?

I will start Saturday night, I would like to start tonight, but I have to wake up at 6:30am tomorrow morning for my SAT.

Expect the very first update tomorrow after my first game.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey i have a dynasty w/ the A's too. ITs very promising b/c of the young pitchers, but I was able to make an unreal amount of trades w/ fair trades on. I traded most of the older guys for young upcoming stars.

Well don't expect too many unrealistic trades from me, I like some of the pieces they have and will stand by most of them.

Billy's Corner

PRESS CONFERENCE

Today we will discuss: What we need to do to better ourselves as a team.

Listed In Order of Priority:

1) Every position must have an uncontested starter. There will be no question marks at any postition going into this season.

2) Sure up the bullpen, whether by trades, or by free agency, there will be a move or two made before the beginning of the season depending on how the Spring Training works out.

3) Produce, discover, or trade for a bonafide leadoff hitter.

4) Attain a gameplan for every game.

Billy will now directly answer and elaboate on these topics.

"There is no doubt in my mind that I trust Ken Macha with devising a suitable starting lineup. However, I must enforce to everyone that this is of highest priority to me right now. To go into the season not worrying about platooning players at three or four of the positions is most important to me. It helps the team by letting everyone know where they stand with the ballclub."

"As far as the bullpen goes, I don't know what the hell I was on last year and this offseason but I have come to the realization that I am not pleased at all with the moves I made this winter. Every offseason I come up with a list of players I feel can help our team, and this year I did not perform up to my own expectations. Depending on how the bullpen performs as a group this spring, that is how I will gauge my transactions. But I will say this beforehand, no one, absolutely no one, has a special spot selected for them on that staff."

"As you all well know we lost Johnny Damon to Free Agency three years ago. Since then we haven't been able to find someone to solidify that leadoff spot. Kendall's too slow, and Kotsay is too good of a hitter to bat with no one in front of him. If a move has to be made to find a leadoff hitter, it will be done as such."

"To become successful we must develop a strategy and persona as a team. We don't have the best longball hitters in the league, but we aren't really a small ball kinda team either. During Spring Training, Manager Ken Macha will be trying different tactics, to keep the pressure on the opponents at all times. All I can say is, we are going to a lot of fun this year."

That is all the time we have for today, expect the next installment of Billy's corner after the first month of the season.

Rumor Mill

By Peter Gammons

Special to ESPN.com

Billy Beane is busy once again. This time names such as Kansas City's Brian Anderson and Joe Buck, Cleveland's Ronnie Belliard, and Minnesota's Jesse Crain.

Over the past few weeks, these names have been dancing in and out of the crazy mind of Oakland GM Billy Beane. Only time will tell if Beane tries to pull off a deal or two before or during the first week of the season.

Still focusing on the Athletics, in a team meeting today, Manager Ken Macha has announced that Eric Brynes will be the team captain, and leadoff hitter. "There is no doubt in my mind that Eric Brynes can handle the leadoff role very well," Macha said after the meeting. "Eric is definitely the face of this ballclub in my eyes right now, he shows unprecedented enthusiasm and a heart that is second to none out there. I was very pleased to hear that he was made the team captain and leadoff hitter," said GM Billy Beane.

This is a good move for the Athletics as his BA and OBP have improved by at least 10 points each of the three full years he has been in the big leagues. Byrnes also has a knack for stealing bases, as he stole 17 bases in 18 attempts. Byrnes should provide stability at the top of the Athletics lineup as they try to make the playoffs after missing out on them by one game last year.

Starting Defensive Lineup and Batting Order Announced

lineup2bg.gif

Above: The Starting Defensive Lineup and Batting order for Opening Day.

In a slurry of announcements today, Manager Ken Macha announced the Opening Day Starting Defensive Lineup and Batting Order, along with, but not pictured above the Starting Rotation, Bullpen, and Bench for the Oakland Athletics.

Rotation:

1 Barry Zito

2 Rich Harden

3 Danny Haren

4 Joe Blanton

5 Kirk Saarloos

Bullpen:

LRP Juan Cruz

MR Huston Street

MR Keiichi Yabu

MR Ricardo Rincon

SU Kiko Calero

CL Octavio Dotel

Bench:

Mark Ellis - INF

Keith Ginter - INF

Adam Melhuse - C

Charles Thomas - OF

Bobby Keilty - OF

Opening Series - Baltimore Orioles

Key Plays By Orioles Sink A's

O's Win It in 9th

game12si.gif

Above: SS Bobby Crosby is thrown out at home and Luis Matos Robs DH Erubiel Durazo of a 3 Run HR

The Athletics and Orioles had 23 hits and only five runs. And through three innings the A's had six hits and no runs. However, the A's were still able to strike first, when they scored on a bloop hit by Mark Kotsay and a groundout by Eric Chavez.

The Orioles struck back when SS Miguel Tejada drove in 3B Melvin Mora with a single in the eighth. Then, A's closer Octavio Dotel proceeded to blow his first save of the year when he loaded the bases, then let 2B Brian Roberts drive a game-winning double into the left field gap.

The Athletics and Orioles meet again for game two of the series when Rich Harden and Daniel Cabrera get their first opportunity to start this year. This could be the preview of two future aces, both Harden and Cabrera have some of the best young talent in the league, and it is sure to be an intriguing matchup.

Game Notes:

Kotsay 3-4, RBI

Lopez 3-3, R

Roberts 2-5, RBI, GW Hit

Oakland Bullpen 2 IP, 6 H, 3 ER, BS

Boxscore:

R  H  E

OAK  2 11  0

BAL  3 12  0

WP: T. Williams (1-0) LP: O. Dotel (0-1)

Around the League

-Jeff Bagwell is out for 15 days with Minor Wrist Tendonitis.

-Luis Matos is out 14 days with a Strained Right Ribcage.

Game 2: Oakland Athletics @ Baltimore Orioles

Three Homer to Propel A's to Win

A's Win in Blowout Fashion

game24fw.gif

Above: LF Eric Byrnes throws his bat down as he homers to leadoff the game, and 3B Eric Chavez watches the ball fly out of the yard.

When the game started, no one expected it to turn out into the one-sided affair that it did. Leadoff hitter and team captain Eric Byrnes homered to right-center off of Oriole starter Daniel Cabrera to lead off the game. Daniel Cabrera was then forced to leave the game with a pulled groin. In a bold move, Oriole manager Lee Mazzilli brought in Eric Bedard, who was scheduled to start tomorrow. Bedard was nasty for the first few innings, but was no match for the A's offensive explosion today.

The Athletics added another run in the fifth to open their lead to two when catcher Jason Kendall drove in Byrnes with an RBI single to right. The Orioles answered in the bottom of the fifth with a Chris Gomez homerun. After that, the A's went on a tear, scoring seven runs in the next four innings, capped by a four run ninth. In the end, three A's had homered, and seven different players drove in one run or more.

The Orioles added their second run in the bottom of the eighth as slugger Miguel Tejada was able to put one just over the left field wall, over a leaping Byrnes.

Not to go unmentioned, Oakland starter Rich Harden pitched a gem today. As he went 7 1/3 innings, striking out six, walking three, and only allowing two runs. The bullpen, a combination of Kiko Calero and newly named closer Huston Street put together a solid inning and two-thirds to close out the game.

The A's and O's will play the third and final installment of the series tomorrow, as the A's look to take the series, and head to Tampa with a record of 2-1.

Game Notes:

Byrnes 3-5, 2 R, HR

Chavez 2-4, 2 R, HR, 2 RBI

Hatteberg 3-4, 2 R, HR

Scutaro 3-5, 2 RBI

Harden 7.1 IP, 6 K, 3 BB, 2 ER

Boxscore:

R  H  E

OAK  9 18  0

BAL  2  7  1

WP: R. Harden (1-0) LP: D. Cabrera (0-1)

Around the League:

-Daniel Cabrera is out for 9 days with a Pulled Groin.

-Jose Valentin is out 23 days with a Strained Right Hip Flexor

-Jake Peavy has been suspended for 8 games due to his on the field altercation.

Game 3: Danny Haren (0-0) vs. Rick Bauer (0-0)

-Jake Peavy has been suspended for 8 games due to his on the field altercation.

we know this isn't real. jake peavy isn't the type of guy who would get into on the field altercations and be on an 8 game suspension.... :lol:

great job on the dyansty so far...

Walks Can Kill Ya

O's Blow Out A's

untitled13sb.gif

O's LF Larry Bigbie belts his 2nd Grand Slam, and A's 3B Eric Chavez can't keep A's in the game with stellar defense.

Today's game started out just fine when the Athletics took the lead in the first when LF Eric Byrnes scored on an Eric Chavez groundout. In the bottom of the first, Oakland starter Danny Haren looked good for the first two batters as he preceeded to retire them quickly, but Haren then gave up two walks and a single to load the bases. Orioles 1B Rafael Palmeiro then stroked a single to center to tie the game at one. Following Palmeiro was CF David Newhan, who shot another RBI single to right.

The icing on the cake came when LF Larry Bigbie hit a grand slam over the centerfield wall to put the O's up 6-1. Haren was able to get out of the first, but he allowed six runs to the O's in the process.

Through the next 3 innings, the Orioles put up nine more runs, increasing their lead to 15-1. This was capped by yet another grand slam by LF Larry Bigbie. Oakland added one more run in the seventh, and two more in the ninth to finish off the game losers, 15-4.

Oakland now moves on to Tampa, where they expect much better results than what they had from this series.

Game Notes:

Bigbie 3-4, 3 R, 2 HR, 8 RBI

Mora 3-5, 1 R, HR, 3 RBI

Scutaro 2-3, 1 R, HR, 3 RBI

Boxscore:

R  H  E

OAK  4  7  1

BAL 15 17  0

WP: R. Bauer (1-0) LP: D. Haren (0-1)

Around the League:

-No News Today

Game 1: Joe Blanton (0-0) vs. Rob Bell (0-0)

Archived