Hmmm...Phase 2 crashing.

tks

I did a search but I didn't find that others had any problem with Classics 2 crashing....so I thought I would ask if anyone can give me some clues since the game crashes when I attempt to play.

Background....Per instructions from Jim825 (in another thread)....

I made a separate directory and copied my MVP2005 game to that directory....Renamed it "MVP Classics 2"

After downloading Classics 2 I installed it to the "MVP Classics 2" directory.

Everything went smoothly.

Made a shortcut and named it "MVP Classics 2".

Opened the game with the shortcut.....No problem....Saw Mickey on the "click to start" screen.

Opened the game (Exhibition)....saw all the teams....selected two teams to play.

But when I advance to loading the teams, the game crashes.

Also tried to "edit" a player and the game also crashes.

Any thoughts on where the conflict might be....I did notice when I installed the game using the included "installer", a message appeared stating something about Portraits and using EAGraphics.

Could that possibly have something to do with the game crashing?

Any help obviously will be greatly appreciated, since this looks like it can provide a lot of fun playing different teams from different eras.

Did you copy EVERYTHING (including all subdirectories) from your MVP Baseball 2005 directory to your new directory? Here are slightly more detailed (but not much) instructions I posted in another thread a while ago: http://www.mvpmods.com/index.php?name=Foru...p=113366#113366

Try installing Total Classics again, but write down (and post here) the message you see regarding the portraits. That will give us more information to try to determine the problem you are having.

Try installing Total Classics again, but write down (and post here) the message you see regarding the portraits. That will give us more information to try to determine the problem you are having.

O.K. Jim.....I hate to be a pain but here is a "play by play" of what I did.....and before I go on, thanks for your help!

First of all....the only mods that I recall using in my regular MVP2005 are some Umachines unis....some stadiums...and some cyberfaces.

I copied everything from my regular 2005 game folder to a special directory and special folder which I labeled "Total Classics"....The copy was complete in that my regular MVP has 1504 files and 84 folders with total bytes of 1,598,092,735....and that is exactly what appears when I check the "Total Classics" folder.

I then extracted the Phase 2 rar file (listed as 206mb) to a special folder on my hd....and then activated the "!TC2005 Install.exe" icon directing it to my special directory with the "Total Classics" folder.

I "assume" everything loaded correctly since there were no hitches in the installation...after installing a reminder showed stating..."all files installed. Make sure to use EAGRAPH to install portraits...if portraits were included."

I did nothing since I did not see anything relating to portraits in the .rar file.

I made a duplicate .exe icon on the desktop....Activated the start up...."click to start" screen appears....went to "exhibition"....see two teams listed just as in the "regular" game....I hit what used to be the "minor league" option to view all teams that are available and everything appeared in order, so I selected two teams to play.....I go through the lineups...click advance...and the game begins to load....but instead of seeing the playing field...I see the desktop!

I re-installed again from the beginning but no matter....same result.

I have tried two installations and four attempts to play and each time...same result...desktop!

I can only assume the conflict has to do with a mod or mods that I use in the regular game....I'm guessing (though I really don't have a clue what I'm talking about) that it might have to do with cyberfaces and the face number assigned to some of the "Classic" players....Maybe there is a conflict with the face number already being used, although as I say, I don't have a clue if that is even possible.

Anyhoo....There is my sad tale of woes!....Even if I can't play the game, it sure is fun to look at all the rosters and team involved. :lol:

Any thoughts?

capa...

...'53 Yanks vs. '69 Cubs

...'88 Brewers vs. '73 Mets

...plus others I can't remember right now but it doesn't seem to make any difference...Regardless, game crashes when attempting to start play.

The facepacks might be the culprit. I know that with Total Classics Phase 2, the exact same thing that you are experiencing would happen if you tried to play a game with the 1962 Mets. You would be able to go to the player selection screen, but as soon as you went any further, the game would crash.

The cause of the problem is the face number (611) assigned to Gil Hodges on the '62 Mets. If you change it to something else (like 902 which is used for his face on the '49 and '55 Dodgers), the game will run just fine.

The cause of the problem is the face number (611) assigned to Gil Hodges on the '62 Mets. If you change it to something else (like 902 which is used for his face on the '49 and '55 Dodgers), the game will run just fine.

I know this must be getting very tiresome for many to read....but I am really intrigued now as to what might be the problem with my game crashing.

Jim....I was 100% convinced that you had solved the problem when you mentioned the Hodges' face conflict...I went into MVPEdit and changed his '63 Mets face to read 902, the same as his face number on other teams.

Exported to the game.....reset the roster....went to play a game and Whammo!....Crashed to desktop!.....Tried it again but this time did not hit "reset the roster".....made no difference....Crashed to desktop.

Suddenly I remembered that I still had a copy of the original data folder on my hd... I made a copy when I first installed the "regular" game. So I copied the original data folder back into the Classics game, which basically stripped the guts out of the Classics mod and reverted back to the "basic" files.....I figured this would tell me if there was a conflict with uni mods installed, or stadium mods..or cyberface mods.

After I copied the original data folder into the game, I went into MVPEdit and "exported" the Classics 2 database ...Opened the game which did not now contain the Classics installation (since I am working with the original data folder), selected the ML teams, went into the minors and there were the Classic teams. I selected the Cubs Iowa team (which are the '69 Classic Cubs) and the Cards AAA team (which are the '82 Brewers)....hit advance to play a game....and Whammo!.....There they were!

So....Now I know I can play the Classic teams, even though they wear the ML minor uniforms and names of the team to which they were assigned.

That's where I stand as we speak.....So the problem appears to be that something (a file?) is corrupt within the Classics file I downloaded, although I have no idea what that might be.

I may (time permitting) download the entire .rar Classics 2 again even though I think I already have the complete file (206 mb).

Meanwhile, I am going to try once more to install the Classics 2 file. This time I will install it over the original data folder and then add the MVPEdit database file having all the Hodges' faces as 902.....

For some reason, I don't think it will work....but we'll see.

The saga continues.............

Think about what you said here -- You copied your original data folder into your classics folder and THEN updated your rosters.

Perhaps if you now tried reinstalling Total Classics over these original files, things will work OK.

Also, if you open up the Total Classics Phase 2 .RAR file and go to the "lib" folder, you can see exactly which files are installed. You could try installing files one at a time (although you'd have to install the rosters all at once and the two .LOC files together) and see what happens. This would be a manual install vs. an automated one, but at least you'd be able to tell which file is causing your problems.

It's worth a shot.....

Think about what you said here -- You copied your original data folder into your classics folder and THEN updated your rosters.

Perhaps if you now tried reinstalling Total Classics over these original files, things will work OK.

Actually I did try that but forgot to mention it.....Didn't work.....So....

Also, if you open up the Total Classics Phase 2 .RAR file and go to the "lib" folder, you can see exactly which files are installed. You could try installing files one at a time (although you'd have to install the rosters all at once and the two .LOC files together) and see what happens. This would be a manual install vs. an automated one, but at least you'd be able to tell which file is causing your problems.

It's worth a shot.....

I looked in the "lib" folder and was considering doing exactly what you suggest.

First...Thanks for the "heads-up" on adding the two .LOC files together in the data folder.

...As far as the roster (.dat) files go, I plan on adding via the Classic roster .mbe file I have in MVPEdit, which I know works when I added it to the original data folder.

..."aaa1nite.big" file goes in Stadium folder.

..."models.big"--> data folder.

..."Logos.big" & "portraits.big" & "uniforms.big"-->frontend folder.

Just two questions.....

1...Do I put the "58db.fsh"..."aaa1.fsh"..."10j.fsh"..."10k.fsh" in the main directory (i.e...main "Classics" folder)??

2...Is the "team2005.fuz" file required?.... or is that only needed if you have Fuzz's Studio program?

Thanks again for putting up with me....One way or the other. I'm going to be bringing this to completion shortly. :lol:

I have finally reached the end of my rope...Well, actually I left just enough to hang myself!

Can't get this &**#$$ program to work!.....Problem is with the "models.big" file....I downloaded Classics 2 a second time and the game still crashes when I attempt to play a game.

I did a manual install and all files are fine expect when I add "models.big"...I tried using "models.big" from my first download and also from the second download...Same result....Game crashes when I attempt to play but I can play a Classics game with Classic teams as long as I use the original models. big NOT the Classics models.big.

I know the file can't be corrupt since so many others are using this great program...so it must be a conflict with something in my system.

Models.big is such a large file I don't know where to start to see if I can find the conflict, so I may be left with no choice but to move on. I'll just have to keep reminding myself that life is not fair!

Bummer! :cry: :evil:

Archived