Batting problems

Brian

Hey, I am not a terribly bad batter, probably with an average around 225-250. I have been having this problem lately, where I am swinging under the ball. No matter what I try to do... I manage to swing under the ball by an inch or so. I made contact with the ball the other day and was hit about 5 feet from the fence (maybe 310). After that, I realized that if I made more hits like that, I could get my batting average up. I was just wondering if there are any ways of practicing to keep it up straight and level, without going to batting cages. If anyone knows any, just post it here please. Thanks!

DIng Ding Ding i got the answer!!!

for me it was the opposite.....i always swang down and got ahead of balls= groundballs. and im not the speediest of guys on the field. maybe like a high 5 or low 6 out of 10. heres what u do. stand on the edge of a sidewalk or curb....then swing the bat level 100 to 200 times a day. make sure your swinging level. it also establishes balance. if you swing upper cut or lower cut or swing to hard you are going to fall off the curb because you are losing balance. I hope this helps. if this doesnt you can also get the hit-a-way. it doesnt improve how far you hit the ball. its more of a fine tuning your swing. once you master the sidewalk of not falling and swinging level use the hit-away togther for maximum!

hope this helps---it sure did help me because i batted .667 (even though im in a 13 year old dividion) I maybe only hit 2 popups on really slow pitchers. mostly everything else was a line drive. line drives rise up if u hit them in the sweet spot for a homerun. it happened to me. it was like a routine line drie but kept rising. (ok a little higher than the average line drive) i got 1 homerun but my batting average increased from like 400 last year.

raise your hands. Lots of times hitters will move their hands down towards their waist without realizing it. Raising your hands will make sure that you are on top of 95% of everything thrown at you. If your hands are already around your shoulder, try raising your elbow away from your body a little bit.

It could be a matter of stride and squat. Perhaps you're getting too low in your stance or striding too far. Take some time in your next BP session to analyze your stride, and focus on keeping your hands up above the pitch. You might think that you'll swing down at the ball, but it will give you a lot of line drives.

One last thing, pay attention to your back shoulder. You could be dropping it as you start your swing, causing a severe upward motion. Have someone else watch you, too...to make sure you didn't miss anything

I may have misunderstood what you meant by "swing under the ball" but just in case, I'll post anyway.

I was swinging under the ball alot too. Went to a baseball camp run by pro scouts when I was 18, and they taught me the simpliest, stupidest thing, but something none of us realized. When we/I was striding into the ball, my front shoulder was slightly lunging forward, causing a slight uppercut.

They literally chained our upperbodies to the fence...so only our lower body would stride into the ball, and the upper body remained still. It worked wonders for my swing.

The closer your elbows are together, the more parallel your bat will be to the plate. I've just started refining my swing and I've found if you have big shoulders, keep your elbows closer together (it causes more wear one your shoulders) and you'll have more batspeed and a more even swing through the zone.

The closer your elbows are together, the more parallel your bat will be to the plate. I've just started refining my swing and I've found if you have big shoulders, keep your elbows closer together (it causes more wear one your shoulders) and you'll have more batspeed and a more even swing through the zone.

Once again I am simply amazed at some of the stuff people in this forum come up with. Honestly...elbows closer together? Sorry bro but that only works for you.

The key to a good swing is staying through the ball, keeping your bat in the zone as long as possible. To do that you ahve to take your hands inside the ball and if you attack the ball then you cannot swing under it. Instead of staying back with all of your weight on ur back feet, you should instead transfer the power in teh back legs to your front legs as you swing. Driving your shoulder forward with your weight will allow you to attack the ball and hit the ball the opposite way. I'll see what I can do about making a mod to show what I am talking about.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived