16 members have voted

1. 1.

• Newspaper style
    • Pictures
    • Player of the Game
    • Stats

April 1, 2005

THE EMPIRE TAKES A HIT

In a press conference scheduled today, George Steinbrenner, had an announcement regarding the New York Yankees and his future with the team.

Steinbrenner spoke...

"Due to my medical concerns, I have finally chosen to give up the reigns to a younger man, and a man who I can trust with this team. I will the leave the team's ownership with Casey, and from here on out, he will have the final say on the team. It is a really sad day for me, just not really being the owner anymore, but I know that Casey will do everything he can do to keep this team at the top. I will always feel like these are my Yankees, and I will follow this team until the day I die. I will die as a Yankee, and I'll be happy always just knowing the fact that I did what I always wanted to do. And so without further ado, I will give the spotlight to the new owner of the team, the man to my left, Casey."

"Thank you, and now I just want to start by saying thank you for giving me this wonderful opportunity to help be a part of this team, and really be a part of history. You know, ever since I was a kid, I always loved watching the Yankees, and I always wanted to be a part of this team in some way, and now I get my big break to own this team. I mean it's a lot different being a fan one day, and the next, really taking over plenty of responsibilities. But as an owner, I really look to follow by the examples left by George, and I mean he really has set an example for all of baseball, but not only that, he has really set the standard of competing, and winning. I want to keep his legacy alive, even after he is relieved of his duties, and I made a promise, saying that I will win a championship just for him. I am making a bold predicition, but yes, I guarantee another World Series title back in the Bronx, by the end of this year. George has really given me a head start with all the players we have that are a part of this organization, and now it's up to me, to bring the best out of it. This will be an exciting year folks, and I really recommend you watch this team. And again, before my time is up, I want to thank George, and I want to applaud you for the things you have done for this franchise, and not only that but for the things you have done for all of baseball. Your legacy will always live with the sport, and I'll make sure to keep winning for you."

030822george_steinbrenner.jpg

-A teary eyed Steinbrenner applauds the crowd for their standing ovation, as it was Derek Jeter's time to talk.

"After all my time here in New York, I never thought of this organization having to live without Mr. Steinbrenner. Now it's reality, it's a tough thing to swallow, but you have to move on, and you have to do your job as a ball player, but it's definitly going to be different having to live without him up in his pressbox. I'll always remember him pacing back and forth, and just the kind of mentality to win every year. He is a great man for baseball, and he is one of the best Yankees there ever was. But I'm excited for the new ownership with Casey, and of course I look forward to playing baseball everyday, but I know that I will always keep George in my heart on the field, and there will always be plenty of memories left in my mind with him, even after I'm done baseball. So I just wanted to say congratulations for all the things you have done, and thank you for all the memories, you really are a legend now."

jeters7gp.th.png

-Jeter talks to the press, even being a little teary eyed himself.

After the speech by Jeter, a hug was exchanged between the Yankee captain, and the now ex-owner of the Evil Empire. This was shocking news for everyone, and people were still in awe, as he gave away his ownership. This man was a legend, and he will go down as one of the best owners, in history. Not only for baseball, but for all of sports, this man will always be remembered.

And so you heard it folks, the new owner is already guaranteeing another World Series ring, now that is a gutsy move my friend. And we can only watch, and wait, as the Yankees start the season off versus, none other than those Red Sawx.

Yankees win Season Opener

In the Season opener, The Yankees pulled away with the victory, with late inning heroics. Led by strong pitching, both the Yanks and Sox, stayed in the game with a 0-0 score until the 8th inning. Schilling was stellar, as he showed no signs of his ankle bothering him, and Johnson looked sharp in his pinstripes debut.

The game had a very fast pace, with Schilling blowing by the Bronx bombers, with 7 perfect innings, but in the end, his endurance got the best of him, as Francona let him pitch for the rest of the game. In the bottom of the 8th, he gave up 5 hits and 2 runs, with a costly HR by Robinson Cano, to start it off, and an RBI by Posada.

Johnson pitched 7 strong innings surrendering only 5 hits, and not giving up a run. The game seemed like a perfect tie, and it seemed like no one was going to win, but due to the pitching by Johnson, Gordon, it kept the Yanks in front for Rivera to close it out. This was defintily a good sign for the Yankees, as they have the Big Unit, pitching in mid-season form. This was a good win, but only time will tell how good these Yankees are.

Game Notes:

Box Score:

Bos: 5H 0R 0E

NYY: 5H 2R 0E

Starters:

Bos-Schilling: 8IP 5H 2ER 5SO 1HR 2.25ERA

NYY-Johnson 7IP 5H 0ER 2SO 0HR 0.00ERA

Player Of The Game:

Randy Johnson

johnson0fl.jpg

7IP 5H 0ER 2SO 0HR 0.00ERA

His strong performance on the mound, led the Yankees to the tight victory. With a domninant performance that went until the 8th inning, it was a gateway to the bullpen for them to get some relief from Doc Gordon, and the close by Mo Rivera. Great victory, and an even better performance by Johnson.

Yankees win in Extra Innings

In only the second game of the season, the Yankees faced late inning drama already. The Red Sox had started the scoring the game, with a couple of RBI's from Manny Ramirez. With the early 2-0 lead in the 2nd inning the Yankees looked to respond. And they did with a couple of RBI's by Jeter and Rodriguez.

By the 5th inning, Varitek had his own 2-Run shot, to jump ahead 4-2. With the Yankees pressed for time, they looked to tie the score, and looked for someone to spark the comeback. And it came in the bottom of the bottom of the 9th with a double from Cano, and Womack bringing him home with a HR. Foulke blew his first save of the season, and the Yankees looked to also hand him his first loss. And the Yankees held onto the score at 4-4 heading into the bottom of the 10th, with both Jeter and Rodriguez on base. Godzilla stepped up to the plate, looking calm as ever, with 2 outs, he blasted Foulke's circle change, waaaaaay up to the second deck of Yankee stadium. The crowd went wild with the drama coming to an end, with another W, for the Yankees.

matsui1oa.th.png

Matsui is greeted at homeplate by Womack, as he won the game for the Yanks.

Game Notes:

Box Score:

Bos: 16H 4R 0E

NYY: 15H 7R 0E

Starters:

Bos-Wells: 7.0IP 10H 1ER 1BB 3SO 1HR 1.29ERA

NYY-Mussina: 5.0IP 11H 4ER 0BB 2SO 1HR 7.20ERA

Player of the Game:

Hideki Matsui

matsuiprofile7zf.jpg

3-5 GW HR 3RBI

Although pitching was not the story in the Yankees victory, the offensive side of the ball was. Matsui charged the Yankees with the GW HR, and it was what the Yankees needed early. The Yanks never gave up in this game, which was a reason for this comeback victory. They beat the defending champions, with an emotional victory, and hopefully this will set the tone of the Yankees performance, for the rest of the year. Just an absolutely awesome game.

Yankees Finish Off Sweep against Sox

In the 3rd and final game of the opening series, the Yankees finished off the sweep of the Boston Red Sox in tight fashion yet again. And really, the series was close all 3 games, but yet again, the Yanks came out on top.

The Red Sox came out with an early 2-0 lead, with a 2-Run HR in the 3rd inning, by Johnny Damon. The Yankees then answered back with Tony Womack's own 2-Run shot in the bottom of the inning. And with the score tied at 2-2, Clement and Pavano matched eachother in their performance, by letting up no runs until the bottom of the 8th. Giambi came to bat, with Matsui on base, and belted his own HR over the right field wall. Trot Nixon could do nothing but watch as the BoSox gave up the lead. And so with that, Gordon filled in for Pavano in relief, and it was all up to Mariano to close it all up. And which of course he was successful again. It really seems as it Rivera has got a handle on the Sox this year.

giambi7nu.th.jpg

Giambi's 2-Run HR, put the Yankees ahead for good.

Game Notes:

Box Score:

BOS- 6H 2R 0E

NYY- 10H 4R 0E

Starters:

BOS-Clement: 7.2IP 8H 4ER 1SO 2HR 4.70ERA

NYY-Pavano: 7.0IP 4H 2ER 5SO 1HR 2.57ERA

Player of the Game:

Jason Giambi

gimabiprofile2np.jpg

1-4 GW HR 2RBIs

Jason Giambi's HR gave the Yankees the victory, and it finished off the sweep of the Sox. This was a great way to start the season with such an accomplishment, and the way the Yankees kept fighting in this series really has put a lot of momentum on their shoulders. They come out with the early division lead, and Mariano Rivera was solid in this series, closing out 2 of the 3 games. The bullpen for the Yankees was solid, and the Yankees offensive comeback really put the Yanks ahead, as the Red Sox seemed to be looking for answers on the Offensive side of the ball. David Ortiz only had 2 hits for the whole series, which was mind-boggling, for the man who is labeled as the new "Yankee-Killer". This was an all around great series for the Yankees, and another win to pull up this team's confidence.

Ok, I haven't written much about myself to begin with, so here it goes.

I am a big sports fan, and I am playing as the Yankees because they are the my favorite team of course, and I take after my Dad. Hopefully everyone will enjoy what I am putting up here, and that's all I really hope for is that you guys get a kick out of it.

As for the game here are a couple of things that I am playing by...

Difficulty: All-Star

Sliders: All even

Fielding: Manual, it's the only way to go

Rosters: current (last trade that I had updated was Leiter going to the Yanks, so I have him in my rotation.)

Strike Zone: On

Other than that, that is about it. I'm trying to make it a little different than some other dynasties, so suggestions are always welcome. I was thinking about adding a couple things later, but we'll have to see. I'm a couple games ahead of what I have posted so far, but I'll make sure I post every game, or at least as much as I can.

Well that's it about me, and I hope you all enjoy.

Yankees Keep Early Winning Streak Alive

Coming the sweep against the Red Sox, the Yankees looked to keep their momentum flowing, as they played against the Orioles. The Yankees got off to an early lead, scoring 4 runs in the bottom of the 4th, with an RBI from Sheffield. From then on, the Yankees looked to hold onto that lead, and build off of it, but not so fast my friend, as soon as Leiter began to pitch with his lead, he gave up 3 runs in the top of the 6th, making this game another close one for the Yankees. From then on, tight defense kept the game deadlocked, and in the bottom of the 8th, the Yankees looked for some insurance, as Sheffield drove in another run, to bring the Yankees to a 2-run lead. After the insurance run, Joe Torre called on his always dominating closer, Rivera, to shut the Orioles out. And that is exactly what he did, as he struck out Tejada, Sosa, and Palmeiro to finish the game in cutter fashion.

Game Notes:

Box Score:

BOS- 9H 3R 0E

NYY- 10H 5R 0E

Starters:

BAL-Bedard: 6.2IP 9H 5ER 1SO 0HR 6.75ERA

NYY-Leiter: 6.0IP 4H 3ER 4SO 1HR 4.50ERA

Player of the Game:

Mariano Rivera

marianoportrait7cq.jpg

1.0IP 0ER 3K 0.00ERA SV(3)

Another great cleanup by Mariano Rivera, and his strikeouts proved to be huge indeed. Especially with the firepower that the Orioles are stacked with, they couldn't even touch Mariano, as the Yankees held onto the lead, with great releif. Again, the Yankees need these early wins, and they need to take these wins hard or easy. A win is always a win, and that is always must be what we remember.

Im a little bit of Yankee fan ;)

favorite teams

-Cincy (Because Griffey is there)

-Nationals (they are a god team i think they can win the WS)

-Yankees (i dont know why, oh because they have like 26 all stars on their 25 players roster :lmao: )

favorite teams

-Yankees (i dont know why, oh because they have like 26 all stars on their 25 players roster :lmao: )

lol, well I've always liked Griffey myself, and the Nats are definitly a kool team. But of course I have to go with the Yankees, it's in my family lol, every1 has been a Yankee fan, so I guess I'm just a part of the chain haha. thanks for the comment. And btw, who is your favorite Yankee?

favorite teams

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: That's hilarious man, though its not true.

Yankees Lose First Game

In a game dominated by Bruce Chen's starting pitching, the Yankees could not seem to get the ball rolling, as they scored only 1 run in their defeat against the Orioles. Early in the game, Kevin Brown struggled against the Dangerous O's lineup, giving up 2HR's, and also 6 hits. The Birds got their offense started, by Tejada going the other way with a solo shot, and Slammin Sammy added a 3-run shot to add to the lead. This was all in the top of the 4th inning, as Torre gave a miserable look to his struggling pitcher. Bruce Chen held the Yanks to only 5 hits, as 1 HR from Tino Martinez ended his shutout. From then on, B.J. Ryan closed out the game, as he had 3 groundballs on 3 pitches from Jeter, A-Rod, and Sheffield.

sosawalk7vy.th.jpg

Sosa does his bunnyhop, as he knows his ball is hit hard, and his HR proved to give his team, the insurance they needed.

Game Notes:

Box Score:

BAL- 10H 4R 0E

NYY- 6H 1R 0E

Starters:

BAL- Chen: 7.2IP 5H 1ER 3SO 1HR 1.17ERA

NYY-Brown: 5.0IP 6H 4ER 3SO 2HR 7.20ERA

Player of the Game:

Bruce Chen

chenportrait1vl.jpg

7.2IP 5H 1ER 0BB 3SO 1HR 1.17ERA

With the great pitching Chen provided for the Orioles, it led them to the victory, and saved their bullpen. The Yankees took this loss hard, as they seemed to take a sudden halt on their offense. Although Tino showed better play, as he had 2 hits, and a HR, it was still not enough for the win. The Yankees say they will look to shuffle up the lineup, even after one game, because Torre feels that his lineup isn't as dominant against lefties, as it should be. Look for Robinson Cano to sneak into the lineup against LHP, in the near future. And from the loss the Yankees faced today, hopefully this team can bounce back, and win some easy games in the near future.

I always have a tough time hitting Chen for some reason. :wall:

Good job on the dynasty. At first I thought The Boss actually gave up ownership to someone named Casey. :doh: :doh: Had to call a friend to see if this was real.

lol, sorry about the confusion on the Boss, but yeah, I thought it would be a good gimmick to start off my dynasty. And the problem with Chen is that his speed from his changeup is so much slower compared to his fastball, which of course it should be. But he throws about 92-93 4-Seam, and 73-Changeup. Thanks for the comment =)

my favorite yankee is Matsui

Good pick, I always liked Matsui too, but my favorite is always Jeter. Even though he may not have the best stats, to me is still a great player. Giambi actually used to be my favorite player, even when he was on Oakland, but that whole steroid thing made me lose respect for the guy.

Archived